lets see ur bike carrying extra fuel

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wistrick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. MotoDaveL

MotoDaveL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I built a little basket for a 1 gallon can. Its also the perfect size for my lunch bag for work. [​IMG]
    huntercole and Robert68 like this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    ^^^ nice, what bike does that fit on..
  3. MotoDaveL

Oddometer:
    KLX250S, the rack is from PMracks. I had a similar sized fuel can just strapped on last year but it came loose and the rear tire wore a hole through the can spraying gas along the exhaust side of the bike. I figured I better make something a little more secure before burning the bike down.
  4. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen the KRU bottles on EBAY more than once guys. I've also been trying to figure out a better supply route for them, no luck yet. I did find a Reda 1g plastic can, made specifically for inside the slanted Harley panniers. http://www.reda-innovations.com/#!reda-gas-can/cmdp
  5. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

How do you like the PMracks? Do you also have the pannier racks? I've been looking for racks for my KLX250s and the pendulum swings between PM and Happy Trails. Just can't seem to decide between the two.
  6. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the plastic on the Kru bottle caps is safe to use with gasoline? I wouldn't have any worries about putting it in there as a temporary solution, but I always keep my MSR fuel bottles filled, and I would worry about long-term fuel storage in a Kru bottle, without knowing the type of plastic used in the cap.
  7. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll do a quick test on that starting tonight and let you know.
  8. MotoDaveL

Oddometer:

I have the XL rear rack plus the sides. The sides are nice and close to the bike but would only really work with soft bags as they wouldnt provide a flat surface for a hard case. I did break 4 of the welds on the rear rack when going through a really really rough trail (fellow rider broke handle bar bolt on same trail) They sent a replacement N/C once I sent in a few pictures. Top notch customer service.
    [​IMG]
  9. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Certain terrible beers and energy drinks come in steel bottles. Take a magnet with you next time you go shopping to see which bottles are steel and which are aluminum.
  10. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I changed the o-ring and have had fuel in mine for over 6 months now. Still working good.
  11. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Is yours a KRU also? How are you carrying it?

By the way, they're 3.5" x 11.75" to the bottom of the neck. Add about an inch to cover the lid also.
  12. funinthesun

funinthesun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think so. Bought it at SAMs club. Was 20 or so. Vodka wasn't so good. I stripped off the decals so there plain bottles now. I use a modified touratech style mount think it's a cut down bike water bottle mount if I remember right. with some straps that are just cheap ones from the sporting goods store. The $5 ones with a alligator style clip. The stainless looks cool on my Gsa bags. Ill get a pic next time I put them on the bike. Hoping it will be next week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Altrider rack and Rotopax, easy as ~ no worries cruising with my Ducati MTS in remote deserted areas like Nei Mongolia (Inner Mongolia / China) or the Tibetan Highlands (China).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Geez. professor, it's also a figure of speech. You pour the Scotch out of the bottle aluminum or otherwise into a glass - it's a dram. :wink:
    [​IMG]

Here, have one. :slurp
  15. JasonTX

JasonTX n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's my contribution. Four bottles, Aluminum and ABS racks that are made to allow the bottles to snap in. Bolted to rivnuts into the top of my Ammo-can panniers that use the same holes as the footman loops under the bottles. I 'customized' a funnel to make filling easier and had space for cradles for a flashlight on the other side. Just-in-case fuel for my trip from TX to CA starting this coming Friday.

Attached Files:

16. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    10 litres on the back with a 30 litre tank gives about 700k range on the TTR, and even that is not enough for a trip I have planned,over 800k between fuel stops
    [​IMG]
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  17. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Thats impressive as hell mate, got more pics of the beast you can share with us? :clap
  18. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, better start looking into solar power.
  19. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sure mate! I'm in Australia of course, and its a BIG country!:D
    Heres the set up on a recent 5000k trip to the Flinders Ranges,had to use 5 litres extra once.The TTR, for a 250, is quite heavy on fuel, worse than my DR and Ten 12, but its the most fun!!:deal 250 touring takes me back 40 years when thats all we had!:wink:

[​IMG]
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  20. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Ah ha, I recognise the bike now from the Aus 250 thread :deal
    Love the exhaust