lets see ur bike carrying extra fuel

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wistrick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:

O.K. Have to ask. Solo seat on bike and what appears to be wife and kids in pic ??? Or were they tourists taking the opportunity to be in a picture :D
  2. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    IMS 6.6, 1 gal Rotopax, and a couple of Sigg 1 liter bottles in the top case. Eight gallons, or enough for 350 miles with a decent reserve.

[​IMG]

I made the Rotopax mount from an HDPE cutting board. It cost me about ten bucks with the hardware. I'm thinking of doing one for the right side, but have to think through heat shielding. Wouldn't want the fuel to tangle with the pipe.

[​IMG]
  4. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    besides a larger main tank, this makes the most sense of all the spare tanks I've seen so far.
    weight is placed low on a structural member designed to support 80+lbs each peg.

$135 per side sounds a bit pricey... doesn't look too hard to make.
    http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-180-peg-packer-2-gallon-unit.aspx

[​IMG]
  5. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    They scare the crap out of me :eek1
  6. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Why?

They look about as dangerous as some of the Rotopax mounted to the sides, imho.
  7. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Well for a start, they are mounted MUCH closer to the foot area and then there's the shape of the rack itself. I'll pass....
  8. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree- I'll pass too. Too big and close to my leg if I were to go down. Roto pax, is also built rugged-nice thick plastic-narrow clean mounting. But-to each their own and use what ever fits your fancy.
  9. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    for clearance, having 2x tanks mounted on pegs would be exactly like if someone is riding two up.

airhead are notorious for weak rear sub frames. it's bad enough loading luggage on that frame without loading another 32lb of fuel.

may not be true for other bikes, but carrying 2x two gallon tanks with weight mounted on foot pegs sounds like a super strong location... with weight kept low to boot. this is if one doesn't have an extra large main tank. which would be the best option.
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    I was thoroughly amazed by the toughness of the Rotopax. They are easily four times as thick as a standard Blitz can, and thicker than my IMS fuel tank. I had to swallow hard spending $50 for a gallon can, but I can see why these have the reputation they do. They are designed to a standard, not a price. It's going to take a hell of a hit to breach one.

If one favors the Peg Packer location but the Rotopax toughness, I'm sure that it would be a simple matter to fab up a peg mount for the Rotopax. Their standard L-bracket and a piece of appropriately sized square tubing with a few minutes of welding would do the trick.
    Fr8dog61 likes this.
  11. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I agree, carry that amount of weight low down is a good thing. They scare me due to the shape they are (sharp edge) and where they are (right by the foot/lower leg in a get off). It seems I'm not alone in thinking that....
  12. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    bump
  13. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's several views of my fuel cans on the bike. Have been carrying the 2 gallon lawn mower jug and a one gallon Delo oil jug for several years and several tip overs on gravel/sand roads with no problems yet. Sometimes the 2 gallon goes and sometimes the 1 gallon (shorter trips). Have also tied a several foot piece of 3/8" rope between the carry handles of a pair of 1 gallon Delo oil jugs and thru over seat like saddlebags. Works OK.

Have even thought of using a 3 gallon plastic outboard motor fuel tank on the rear rack, but haven't tried it yet.

If you look closely at the left rear foot peg on my DR, you'll see the short piece of 2"x2" angle iron that makes a dandy shelf for the lawn mower jug to ride, firmly strapped down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave
  14. Iron Rey

Iron Rey Wingnut Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I have used these for thousands of miles, mainly for my riding buddies but for myself as well in CA and SA, I have big feet and these have NEVER been an issue.

[​IMG]
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  15. heetseeker

heetseeker Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer:
    Changing from this set up (too much weight back and high) to a custom low profile pillon seat tank with more cap.

[​IMG]
  16. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know they say: Big feet, more fuel.
  17. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    But have you ever crashed with these mounts fitted ?

In normal riding conditions, I'm sure they're just fine. The problem is when you crash - they have leg- breaker written all over them. I shudder just thinking of the consequences.
  18. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Maybe a stupid question...but... is it bad to try to run your bike on 'white gas', the type used for cooking. I was told its the same as regular gasoline, just is more refined. I have a MSR bottle with cooking fuel (white gas) and would like to know if I can use it should my bike run out of gas.

My stove is multi-fuel, so worst case is I would just fill my MSR with gasoline (I would just prefer not to cook with gasoline).
  19. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I would say not a good idea. I think white fuel burns hotter. google it. Also, white fuel is expensive!!!
  20. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I did about 30 seconds of research and here is what I learned. White fuel can be used in motors but the octane rating is much lower. White Fuel is around 55 octane. Because most all motorcycles are high compression this could be bad. Also you will not have the additives that Gasoline has in it. For short distances I guess you could...