lets see ur bike carrying extra fuel

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wistrick, Oct 6, 2011.

1. VagabondChef

VagabondChef Vagabond Chef

Oddometer:
    Right. I realize it isn't cost effective. I was interested if anyone had actually done it anyway, and what were the results. :evil
  2. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Me Likey :thumb

I assume you have to undo the clamps to get the bottle out ? No biggie I'm sure...
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I carry a dedicated nut driver under the seat. Takes less than a minute to have both bottles free. At some point I may use thumbscrew style clamps but it's not like I have to get them on and off frequently and quickly.

Saved me from pushing up in Canada when I was 6 km short of the gas station. That's all I need.
  4. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    cool thread! i need to go on longer rides, i have never ran out not within sight of a gas station. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  5. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    Totally agree - just there for emergencies. I assume no issues with them rattling/coming loose ? You mention Canada so I'm assuming you mean the trip there earlier this year ? If so, I'm sure it got a good workout on the trip...
  6. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Buy a Super Enduro and you'll be looking for fuel every 100 miles!

They were thoroughly tested during the Roaming Rally. Not even the slightest issue. The reason I ran out on the 80+ mile stretch through the wilderness was stupidity. Chose not to top up at the last fuel stop.:nono
  7. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I may have done that :D

I've learned that, even with my 4.7 Clarke on the XR, when you get a chance to top up, Top The Fuck Up :deal You just never know when you're gonna need that fuel (my buddy and I nearly ran out in the middle of nowhere in Gaspe because we didn't take the change to fill up before heading out into the wilderness....still not sure how we got back :lol3)

That looks real good Boats, it's got me thinking about my current setup :thumb
    suprbst likes this.
  8. the_gr8t_waldo

the_gr8t_waldo Long timer

Oddometer:
    if your leash is only 100miles long, a liter of fuel isn't going to help much! personally i'd look to a perm. installed aux tank. even if you have to open a pet cock to access the additional fuel , the convience outweighs the installation hassels.
  9. Boatman

Oddometer:
    The super enduro only holds about 3.6 gallons...... usually not an issue unless I don't top off when fuel is available. The couple times I have run dry because of neglect, I've been no more than 5 miles from fuel. The 2 liters in that case are more than enough. I've been all over the hills of Moab and a couple Canadian trips and the stock tank was fine. I don't feel the need for the huge tanks people are installing on the rear and a safari tank is not my bag either. I found a company that makes 1.5 liter fuel bottles and will probably get them at some point.
  10. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Five gallon aluminum fuel cell from Summit Racing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. dmaxmike

dmaxmike former quadtard.

Oddometer:
    if i had a SE i would be looking for ER's not gas stations! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  12. Antti

Antti Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Theres my xchallenge at Russian border carrying 5L in Acerbis tank and 2L in a can. That makes range somethin around 400km.

[​IMG]
    outwestrider likes this.
  13. justplainray

justplainray ucancallmeray

Oddometer:
  14. Sydney Andy

Sydney Andy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ....I have to ask mate.... did you build the triler yourself or is there somewhere I can get plans for one..?? :freaky
  15. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mr Bracket on here fabs and sells them.

http://www.moto-mule.com/
  16. Sydney Andy

Sydney Andy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate.... I am sure postage would be a bitch to me ... :D
  17. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:

It would be worth checking to see...

The trailer was cheaper by half of the others I had seen... and I love it for commuting. I even had him make a bracket for my GS :nod
  18. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome.

The trailer breaks down for shipping.It's simple to reassemble.It doesn't come with the box.You can source something local to your liking.

Here's the thread about the motomule.You can ask Mr. Bracket about shipping and other options.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=742318
  19. Widow

Widow 08 KLR SixFitty

Oddometer:
    Think I spent less than $20 for this extra bit of petrol insurance. Bike water bottle holders, metal backing plate on inside of ActionPacker..etc. So far it's been used solely for my riding buddies small bladdered bikes. This setup has survived some very hard riding.
    [​IMG]
  20. Missiongravity

Missiongravity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Someone wanted pics of a Wee. Here is mine with a one gallon Rotopax mounted on either side to the Hepco-Becker Crash bars. So far so good with a few drops in the driveway and on the trail. No high speed offs yet. Seem to be holding up really well.

[​IMG]