lets see your 9fiffftttyyy in video

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by frank wheelbarrow, Apr 9, 2007.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
  2. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill

Oddometer:
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Shit - I better put my bike back together pronto.
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another video from 2014 - this is out in Taylor Park in Colorado. You can tell when I'm getting tired by all of the sitting...I wasn't used to elevation then, and I'm certainly still not now! Definitely a fun ride, though all the snow and mud that we encountered after the GoPro died was pretty rough on worn out Mefos.

SpeedyR, blutor and alvincullumyork like this.
  5. KatoomBrasil

KatoomBrasil Adv Rider

Oddometer:
    Some friends here in Brasil...
    Casa Ogro

6. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's one hell of a water crossing!

Did your buddy drop the bike in the water, or how did the water get in?
  7. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Another series of clips from traveling almost 3 years ago now. Tried the voiceover thing again, and while time-consuming to put together, I do think it adds a good amount of info to an otherwise relatively boring series of clips.

2 SPOT, DistortedAxis, blutor and 2 others like this.
  8. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    Really great voice over! thanks
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  9. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    No problem! Here's another - finally got to ride my 950 with the new suspension for the first time, so did a video of it. Taking it pretty easy at first, and working up to a little quicker at the end. Super slick out though, so I'm looking forward to some dry weather to see what it can really do. Those tires didn't like the mud.

blutor and MiniNL like this.
  10. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    How's that tractionator desert on the street and twisties? Seems to be hooking up well in the dirt. Considering it for my next tire.
  11. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    It definitely moves around more than a street or adventure-oriented tire, but it seems to grip well, and I haven't lost any knobs or anything off of it. It will crack slightly between the center and side lugs where they meet, but all of them have done that to me and I've never had a failure. Does okay on wet pavement as well, but if you use a lot of rear brake on the street, you'll probably be disappointed with it. It skids easily, as you'd expect. Once you get used to the slip angle riding on pavement, you can still be very aggressive with it. Rolling onto the throttle, it steps out predictably, but it is a little vague on center, especially when new. It will feel like it's moving around a lot until you lean into it, then it stiffens up and grips. The rear of your bike will probably sit at least a half inch higher, because the tread blocks are so tall.

It does well off road until you hit the mud. It still clogs up pretty easily, so you either have to spin it to clear out, or ride faster. :lol3

I get about 3000 miles out of mine, running them almost down to the tire carcass. Biggest downside for me is that they get really, really noisy on the pavement. At the moment, I just deal with it, because I like the performance (and price point) so much. I have a 3.5" rear rim, so your mileage will vary quite a bit if you have something different. Also, if you tend to ride with a lot of weight on the bike, or in a lot of crosswinds, it will get pretty wiggly at freeway speeds.
    MiniNL likes this.
  12. MiniNL

MiniNL Dutchie in the US

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks. Mostly desert out here, not too worried about mud or rain :). Have a Karoo3 now and don't want to give up a ton of street performance as I do still need to ride that too. Might give it a shot. Sorry, back to the vids, end of thread hack.
  13. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind me asking, where were you riding? It looks like a great place for the 950/990.
  14. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    That's at Moto Supreme, which is just to the west of Kurtz, Indiana. Kinda near Bedford. It is a decent place for a big bike, but if you get turned around there are some serious hills and a bit of good single track there too that I don't think I'd try unless it had been dry for a week and I had 5 or 6 buddies there to help pull the bike out if it went all pear shaped. :lol3
  15. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is it still open? If I google the name it says "permanently closed."
  16. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Medano Pass west descent. . . sand and rock and a tight spot:

17. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    what trial was that? I rode out there with some friends last summer but had issues with my SE on Tin Cup pass and ended up riding my 450 the rest of the week... looks like a workout! good riding by both of you.
  18. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    It's private property; technically not open. It used to be an actual park, but got shut down. That said, the owner is a great guy and does not prosecute people who ride there. It's a little bit of an odd situation, but it's the way it has to be to absolve him of any responsibility if someone gets hurt, and to prevent neighbors from being able to lawyer up in the event that they get grumpy.

You know, I have no idea what trail it was. I probably have the GPS tracks somewhere, but it's just been too long to remember. I tried to find it on google maps, but there are so many trails, hah. We just pointed ourselves in a direction and went with it; we didn't really have maps or anything.
  19. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day Oldfuddy, the links to your SE footage (:thumbup) aren't available anymore :( Is there any chance you could re-post or redirect please mate? Cheers Dave :lurk
  20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The channel, 72 vid's, and 2k subs gone... forever. An account got deleted that shouldn't have. YouTube wouldn't recover it. Very few backups and none in 1080. Started new channel. No LC8 vids yet. I'll repost in this thread once I go through my archives and see what I still have and can recover. Sorry brother.