lets see your 9fiffftttyyy in video

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by frank wheelbarrow, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Lazao

Lazao Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Intake noOOOOIIiise
    Short sprint with the howling machine. ITG RC8R...
    robeitor likes this.
  3. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Been a few months since anyone posted here... finally got the race recap video pulled together from the Mint 400:

dooby, juames, Lav1200 and 10 others like this.
  4. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill Supporter

Oddometer:
    @gearheadE30 Well played and narrated, sir. Been working hard to master Ontario's forest woops on my 950SE with rethought/resprung 990ADV rear suspension and Desert HT rear, Desert ST front. It's the best tire combo I've had yet, esp in deep sand when those side knobs get to biting. But woops are tiring and testing when they're in quantity like that. So yeah mang, well done.
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  5. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    @gearheadE30 You only make brief emntion of it in the video, a question; Why no Damper?

I've desert raced with and without, I found it waay less tiring with one.
  6. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    @kamanya there are some things I do like about steering dampers, mainly the safety aspect of smacking a rock that's buried in the sand or something like that. However, I don't like the 'dead' feeling they seem to give the bike. I like being able to feel what the front tire is doing as it seems to help me figure out how much grip I have at the front end. I also get more feedback from the bike as to if my body position is wrong in corners without a damper, which is directly related to maximizing whatever grip you have. I don't spend a ton of time in the desert - my home turf is Indiana where it is a lot of mud, clay dirt, roots, rocks, etc. Being able to maximize grip when there is very little to start with is really important. With more technical riding, I also found that it was much harder to steer with my feet and it usually feels like I am fighting the damper. I never noticed racing being less tiring with a damper, but everyone has different preferences and I'm definitely not saying that everyone should get rid of their steering dampers. I just don't feel the need to spend my money on one.
    Andreim92 likes this.
  7. kamanya

kamanya Andrew to most

Oddometer:
    Gotcha.

I guess it boils down to speed. I only turned mine way up on the faster open stuff where it wasn't really the front that it was controlling, but stopping the rear from swapping.
    gearheadE30 likes this.
  8. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Somehow I've never really had a problem with my bike swapping, at least not badly enough that it actually scared me. Interestingly, I have ridden other 950s and 990s and all of them felt a little more squirrely. I'm not sure what is different about my setup that makes it more stable, but swapping bikes with other big bike racers confirmed my impression. If I had an issue with that, then I could definitely see considering a damper if I couldn't find a way to dial it out.
  9. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Found the old Dyno run video.

frank wheelbarrow likes this.
  10. Finnyfire

Finnyfire Jedi Master

Oddometer:
    @gearheadE30 your videos motivate me. Well done. Thank you for sharing. I would love to try races like this someday if only to finish. Thank you for the motivation.
  11. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoy the videos! That is exactly where this all started for me, too - people posting videos and thinking man, that would be cool to do some day.
    dooby and Whodatschrome like this.
  12. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Another video! This was the bonus property from the Buffaloe dual sport ride in southern Indiana last weekend. 4 LC8s made it through!

dooby, juames, Andreim92 and 5 others like this.
  13. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. skuikka

skuikka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd try a trials tire at the back. I've had sticky tires on the SE before and I have trials bike too. The amount of grip still managed to amaze me. And it was wet.
  15. 426john

426john Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A fun video, that was just recommended on my youtube , KTM 990 will it Rally, not sure what protection the guys got on , just looks like a plaid shirt and boots , but wow !! he really gives it a spanking !! and correct me if i'm wrong but that bike has stock exhausts but sounds totally wicked , its as if all the gubinz has been taken out the mufflers, enjoy.

16. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Petty sure those are leo Vince's slip ons
    426john likes this.
  17. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding around with friends....

Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  18. robeitor

robeitor Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. ThirdUncle

ThirdUncle More will than skill Supporter

Oddometer:
    B.A.L.L.S.
    robeitor likes this.
  20. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Here's the rest of the onboard clips from the Buffaloe trail ride. Wishing for conditions this good again as I look outside at the rain coming down...

juames, Andreim92, charlie264 and 3 others like this.