Let's see your GS offroad!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Clayton Bigsby, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I’ve crashed there on my other bike. I’m already scared of sand with 50/50 tires, I’m still not sure how much I want to test the AAs.
    tentative_rider and rg sw wa. like this.
  2. AndyTAZ

AndyTAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. powdrdog

powdrdog Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2019-09-06 14.23.31.jpg 2019-09-06 14.23.50-2.jpg 2019-09-06 12.13.36.jpg 2019-09-06 09.54.36.jpg 2019-09-06 13.46.38.jpg
    Had an EPIC day cruising around Bragg Creek, AB, Canada in early September. Powderface Trail to Sibbald Creek Trail to Hwy 40 to Smith-Dorrien Trail through canmore and back to Hwy 40 and Sibbald and Powderface. Fob started giving me grief about being 'out of range' and then the 50% power thing, scared the s4it outta me as I wasn't traveling with my spare. That won't happen again!
  4. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What really sucks is being on strike and having to be back every 4th day to walk to picket line. I thought I would be off for two months with no other responsibilities. Still get to do some small rides around the State.
  5. goman

goman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    40232336393_5137e0d7d2_h.jpg 46282837655_42224c4b1a_h.jpg Poking around along the Gerstie River in AK.
    Velko, MizzouRider, Huzband and 9 others like this.
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    I’ve been around that area but not where you’re talking about. Typically out that way during MotoGP, I’m in the general Houston area.

I do have a question for you after reading this post however in regards to going from lowered suspension model to standard GSA HP.
    I had a 2017 standard GSA. I made do with the height but have always felt like life could have been a tad easier if I went with lowered suspension. I’m waiting to pull the trigger on a new HP GSA until I can test a lowered version. I’ve ridden the Utah BDR and plan to ride more, but I use the bike every day.
    Does it make sense to wait out for a lowered model or should I say screw it and get standard? I just don’t know how the change in suspension would affect its handling on road and adjustability and capability off road.
  8. 4NLegion

4NLegion Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. BimmerJAG

BimmerJAG One of these days...

Oddometer:
  11. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
  12. 4NLegion

4NLegion Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere on leg 3 of the MA BDR if I remember rightly.
  13. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    well that’s a really good question, there are so many factors at play, having owned both standard and low GSA. I would say if you are uncomfortable with a taller bike the low does not have any real world disadvantages unless you are some sort of superstar. That being said, the combination of the ESA and a low seat brings the seat height of my 2019 down close but not as low as my 2016 with the factory low suspension. I’ve had a couple of real white knuckle moments trying to turn around on a crappy gravel road, and have not yet tried to maneuver it at low speed into a rough primitive campsite. I’m sure at some point I will drop it and be cursing but I generally ride with a group on longer trips and so there’s plenty of people around to help pick it up. Also I use soft bags when riding on extended trips so risk of crushing the aluminum side boxes is avoided.

I went back to standard suspension on this new bike because well honestly I just didn’t wanna wait so I can understand what you’re saying. They had one incoming with standard suspension and a low seat and the HP colors and wheels.

I will say that if you’re riding fast on rough stuff the standard suspension is more plush, but again like I said, in the real world, I don’t think the low has significant disadvantages.

Really, you can’t go wrong either way, I do occasionally miss the security of being able to put both of my feet firmly down on uneven ground, But after a decade of riding these big bikes I am relatively good at the “cheek slide” and switching my feet rapidly in order to get one or the other down firmly. I also have a 2006 HP2 Enduro, and after Riding that for a day, my 2019 feels like a low rider...
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  14. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    I get all that. I guess really the only situation I keep thinking of is maneuvering out of parking lots or parked situations when I have to walk the bike back. Which in the past if it was too difficult I would just get off the bike and walk it. Yeah I may just say screw it and get the standard suspension.
    tentative_rider and rg sw wa. like this.
  15. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't buy a bike just because you can back it up without getting off. Adapt, overcome.

Btw, I have a GSA with the low suspension. :D
  16. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    You’ll be happy with that.

I didn’t mention before but one big difference with low suspension is you lose quite a bit of cornering clearance especially at the foot pegs, I learned quickly (after a few oh shit moments) to pigeon toe my boots way inboard while leaning over on my 2016 GSA.

I like not having to do that on the new 1250.

Go sit on the different BMW low seat options, they are actually pretty damn comfortable.

TR
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  17. RobLS

RobLS The Navigator

Oddometer:
    Damn. And I was already turning my foot out when leaning in turns. Sounds good then.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  18. PARIAH

PARIAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not off road, but dirt.

IMG_20191005_133218-01.jpg
    4NLegion, krussell, Zurgg and 5 others like this.
  19. goman

goman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was. If you look at google earth there is access right off the AK Hwy. Note it was June at the time.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  20. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information.

KR