Lets see your lightweight camping setup!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by 5 speed, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Seacoast-Rob

Seacoast-Rob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have multiple setups but this one packs pretty small.

-Helinox Cot Max (with risers - which add 14" of clearance to store gear under the cot)
    -Thermarest XL cot tent
    -Exped MW pad with cover
    -Generally use this with a down top quilt rather than a bag but a bag works fine too. 30" width inside

Third pic shows the cot tent bag, cot bag, and cot leg risers bag.

20190525_125916.jpg

20190525_130125.jpg

20190521_133042.jpg
    Hannda, Bultaco206, Cabrito and 2 others like this.
  2. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lightweight gear used on a recent Colorado trip included Mt. Hardware Ghost 2 tent (3lbs), Marmot 800 fill 40F bag (1 lb), Thermarest Trail Pro pad (2lbs), Nemo luxury pillow (1 lb), and Sea to Summit bag liner (few oz) 5A5D283E-5B6D-47AF-9E06-ED1FA4100789.png C069B962-7BA8-4BF2-9B91-FA4DB1328703.jpeg
    BoilerRealm and twowings like this.
  3. Rougie

Rougie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went the ugly route on my '09 KLR. Attached 1 per side Rotax 1 gal jerry cans. Put them on the front of my panniers and that keeps the extra weight about mid frame. A tad uncomfortable if you're riding 2 up. As back up backup (Yup I'm queer for redundancy!) 1 attached one-per-side 1 litre aluminum fuel cans to the area between my panniers and the frame. I guess because I'm a good planner I've never needed the extra gas - even in the Yukon and Alaska - but I have a bunch of people I've bailed out with gas and they think I'm a god! That stuff is deposited to my Karma acct..
    Hannda likes this.
  4. Rougie

Rougie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Heliox chair but I never use it. If I need somewhere to sit down I take the pannier off and sit on it!
    I bought a budget '2 person tent' but it's barely one person and room for my riding clothes. What I did insist on was one with a front and back door. Firstly it's great for ventilation, secondly if you're in the boonies it's easier to make a quick exit out the back door than fight who's ever coming in the front door! Mine has and 'vestibule' or 'eyebrow over each entrance so I can store some stuff there and it won't get wet.
    BioStrom and ScooterNoMore like this.
  5. Fugio

Fugio n00b

Oddometer:

Hi. This is awesome! I have heard of something like this but I thought it collapsed into something more like a beach chair. How long does it take to set up the Cot Max and how long to pack it up? Thanks. Greg
  6. Fugio

Fugio n00b

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of a hammock and tarp but after experiencing the mosquitos in upper Canada and Alaska this summer, I would not want to face them again without a full zip tent with screens. Besides being plentiful, there are mosquitos up there that are the size of hummingbirds. Just setting up camp without being sucked dry was a challenge.
  7. sttm4

sttm4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190921_171148.jpg IMG_5905.jpg 20190922_093200.jpg IMG_5908.jpg IMG_5909.jpg
    tjzondrz and Maggot12 like this.
  8. AV8RGreg

AV8RGreg n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my rig loaded up for a 6 week trip. VStrom 650. After meticulous planning, I still overpack. Basic camp set up if hanging out or wx looks sketchy and last is the easy up option for good weather and quick in and out. IMG_4165.jpeg IMG_5249.jpeg IMG_4415.jpeg
  9. legionmanchild

legionmanchild Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Black Diamond Light Saber 2 pole bivy 26oz
    Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt 24oz
    Helinox Cot Lite (friggin awesome) 32oz
    Klymit luxe pillow 9oz
    Jetboil 11oz
    Mountain House dinner and breakfast burritos 12oz
    2 liters of water 64oz

The entire kit fits inside a Mosko Moto 40 liter top case duffel bag, 92oz.

All in, that just over 16lbs for everything I need for an overnight, 280 mile range on my CRF450X with 4+gallon Acerbis tank. I used to be ultralight, then I got a GSA as well. Now it’s 200lbs of kit regardless of duration or distance. Why? Because I can :)

Attached Files:

ScooterNoMore likes this.
  10. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my Helinox Cot and leg risers however be aware that if you use this combo inside a tent on hard packed dirt, the leg tips will shred the tent floor and footprint. I learned the hard way when I purchased a new tent (along with the cot/legs) and camped out in a nice campground for three days. In that time, the rubber tips on the cot legs bore holes through the tent and footprint. You need something that displaces more of the weight in a wider area of each leg. Perhaps a cup coaster or piece of carpet.
  11. Jenga

Jenga n00b

Oddometer:
    My getaway bag- a sailing, roll-top backpack, waterproof. Minimalist coffin tent, warm down filled sleeping bag, and comfortable air mattress. Camp stove and gear for morning coffee and a camp-meal. If you're lucky the other campers take pity on you and invite you for dinner and campfire! In the morning, 10 minutes and you're packed ready to go.
    One bag trip on a bike not exactly made for tripping, but a super-fun ride... :D:D:D
    IMG_6655.JPG IMG_6650.JPG

Attached Files:

TheYeti, tjzondrz and ScooterNoMore like this.
  12. f_period

f_period n00b

Oddometer:
    Love the waterbottle holster on the side, what a great idea!

also, what type of seat pad do you have there? looks extra cozy :D
  13. PeteAndersson

PeteAndersson Swede

Oddometer:
    That's a proper lightweight kit!
    How bad is it in foul weather and where do you put your wet dirty riding gear while you sleep?
    My riding gear takes up as much space as a second person... And it would be nice if I could downsize from my 2man tent but I'm not prepared to share my sleeping bag with wet and mingy clothes and boots...
  14. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most recent

[​IMG]

I tie up to light poles and motorcycle handlebars < kickstand side > when trees are missing. Being a senior citizen. Needs are simple for me. Camp takes just a few minutes for setup and teardown. Cot bag is size of my hand. Since I cruise and camp in the American southwest mostly. My needs are not the same as others in more wet climates. Icechest was 5 gallon bucket bought at store wrapped in my cot blankets when not using them. Good for 5 hours in 90+F heat. Left bucket at camp when going home. Made a good wash station also.

I do the same on my Husky sm610 also. With cheapo craiglist soft bags I found. Tank bag is some corp. swag the wife gave me. Back rack box is old makeup hard bag.
    All removable after camp is set up.
  15. Fugio

Fugio n00b

Oddometer:
    The seat is a Russell Day Long. Expensive but worth every dollar if you are doing long days in the saddle.
    RJAMT likes this.
  16. nzrian

nzrian renegade master Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is my first multi day outing on the 500, only got 6 hours on it so far.

IMG_20191025_172935.jpg

IMG_20191025_172925.jpg

I am still waiting on my IMS tank.
  17. tshansen

tshansen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Enduristan Blizzard Large and Tornado 2 Medium for my lightweight stuff.

TSH02243.JPG

ScooterNoMore and MotoBoss like this.
  18. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know OR made body bags - just kidding for the love of mike,
  19. Siki

Siki always n00b 2 sth

Oddometer:
    Enough stuff for week of cold and mud, hammock won't save weight but adds comfort. Saying that after decades spent on the ground

Attached Files:

20. Seacoast-Rob

Seacoast-Rob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About 2-3 mins to put the cot together, and another minute to add the leg extensions (there's 16 on the cot max, less on the reg size cot). So call it 5min setup. About that to breakdown, maybe an extra min or two.

Many hammocks have integrated bug nets and provided you have an underquilt, you'll be safe from the bugs. I can't imagine camping in a hammock without one, honestly.
    RJAMT, 16VGTIDave and bcliff like this.