Lets see your lightweight camping setup!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by 5 speed, Jan 29, 2007.

1. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks weird but I really like the "birth canal" bottom opening of the Hennessey hammocks. I find it easy to get in/out and no zipper to get hung or break. When you get in your body weight snaps the opening shut. My Jacks-R-Better under quilt has the same opening so it works together with the hammock nicely.
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
  3. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Hick, not at all trying to be a downer or controversial but are you worried about ticks and Lyme disease? I don't know where that pic is taken but it looks like prime tick territory. I never gave it much thought before but I've been bit twice - got the ticks off in (supposedly/hopefully) good time, but a young man in our area nearly died from Lyme disease that infected his heart. Your hammock being off the ground is good but just trudging around in the woods there might be risky. Be safe.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Not only ticks or lyme disease, just bugs in general.. I'd hang all that stuff up. Even hanging off the bike would be better than the ground.

5. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Yes, I definitely worry about ticks. Years ago I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick I picked up while kayaking. I was sick, sick, sick for weeks, then for a year thereafter, if I ever did something requiring a lot of exertion, I would have a relapse. While in residency, we would lose one child per year from RMSF. There was a saying - you can misdiagnose RMSF once, but not twice. A couple years ago my wife and I were hiking in the early winter and sat down near a stream. When we stood up, we realized we had been sitting in a tick nest; hundreds of those tiny little bastards. I immediately peeled off all my clothes, shook them out, and jumped into the creek nekked. My wife did not. Tick check before a shower when we got home and pulled multiple ticks off both of us. The next day, she was putting on her eyeliner and one of those sneaky bastards crawled out of her eyelashes!! She handled it better than I would have.

All that to say I keep a couple spray bottles of permethrin at home. My property is about 80% woods and I am working outside, in the woods, a lot. Before working outside, or going for a ride, hike, or backpacking, I pretreat my gear with permethrin.

Although not as prone to cause serious illness, I worry a lot more about poison oak and ivy. That stuff is prolific around here. In the summer, I can go out to mow the lawn, never get off the mower, and still end up getting it on my skin. Pretreating my skin with ivy-x, and showering with Dawn soap as soon as I am finished helps a little, but I still get it. I have been on the tractor, working on the property, fully clothed with not an inch of skin showing, including my face, and I still wind up with a whopping case of poison ivy. The oils from that stuff can last for a long time on clothes, tires, and equipment. Interesting factoid - mongos carry the same oil (urushiol) - if anyone cares, I can share a funny story about how I personally discovered that relationship.
    Emgo likes this.
  6. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    You are right. The big issue is that I rarely have a ride that does not entail some nights sleeping in the rain, so I put my gear under the hammock. I probably need to take a garbage bag with me and place all my riding gear in the bag at night. Hanging it from the bike will inevitably result in donning wet riding gear in the morning. I can hang my socks , jersey, and riding shorts from my hammock webbing, under the tarp, but my jackets, pants, helmet and boots are too heavy.
  7. TheYeti

TheYeti Hard to be Humble

Oddometer:
    I do the same thing ,but if it's going rain I'll throw up a sil or hammock tarp up over the bivy ,you've got a dry place make coffee and breakfast. tarp is the only thing wet.
  8. black knight

black knight Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    DSC00341.jpg
    grandelatte likes this.
  9. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    That's a cool take on a tear drop. The wrong thread to post it in though.
    Mikemm likes this.
  10. Coastalcop

Coastalcop Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    X2 on permethrin for treating gear, I sure like it a lot more than hosing myself with DEET.

also on the LW camp gear, a recent addition to my setup are these

https://emberlit.com/products/sprongs-camping-utensils-fork-and-spoon

i get a fork, spoon and a pretty good set of tongs in a compact package (though long enough to reach the bottom of a mountain house meal for reference) .

Seem to be well built (i have no financial interest and dont know who owns the company) and are working well so far
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. Just Dave

Just Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    REI Camp Dome 2 4FE677A5-E2AA-41D7-A501-FF5628D3428E.jpeg
  12. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0896.jpg
    Here’s mine. After I did the MABDR with a Mosko R-80 I decided everything was too much.
    I now use dirtbagz rangers and kreiga us-10 for a total of 40 litters with a kreiga is-5 mounted on the front of the bash plate for tools and a tube and a few other goodies.

Serra designs flashlite 2 tent
    Zenbivy light bed
    Sea to summit comfort plus pad
    Zenbivy inflatable pillow
    Rei chair.
    Stanley Adventure cookset based custom cooking set. Very small
    Extra pair of socks, underpants, sealskin socks, Columbia zip off cargo pants. Extra shirt. Packable Down jacket that fits over my armor.
    Water proofs live behind the rally fairing. Rain jacket is also my riding jacket. Icon Raiden UX.
    Pair of camp shoes. Minimalist sneakers or flip flops.
    I usually carry food enough for a day and a night. Knot sides, mountain house, instant oatmeal, instant coffee ext.
    I can always stop at Walmart, dollar general or a convenience store to get food.
    Have a small dry sack with chargers, camp knife, cordage, headlamp, other miscellaneous crap.
    Everything is packed in separate dry sacks or sea to summit compression sacks.
    3 litters of water on my back. Kreiga hydro 3.

Worked on my system for a long time to get it right for me. I can barley tell it’s back there.

The small fender bags mounted on the fairing were an experiment. No longer using those.
  13. RWJorg

RWJorg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    finally someone with a "lightweight" / minimalist setup. haha. this is about how I roll, and seeing all these huge panniers in this thread are killing me. after several hiking (Havasupai) and kayaking the rivers of TX, I don't need much to survive
  14. Wyocrawler

Wyocrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know there are a lot of guys that go a lot lighter than me. Lol
    I’m almost 50 and I need some comfort in my declining years.

Btw, although a good bit larger than my thremorest neo air ther sea to summit comfort plus pad is next level. It’s like being on my mattress at home.

image-2019-12-08-13:52:52-060.jpg
  15. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Here's what to do. DO ALL OF THESE as they will work as a system.

1. Clothes treatment: Use Permithrin https://sawyer.com/products/permethrin-insect-repellent-treatment/. You can use the spray sold by Sawyer which is 5%. With the spray: absolutely spray every piece of clothing you will be wearing. Jackets, pants, shorts, socks, shoes, hat, everything EXCEPT underwear. Spray it until its well damp. Do not cheap out, buy several spray bottles.

TENT: Set your tent up. Spray your tent netting and around the zipper door and the interior ceiling. of both the tent and vestibule. Home depot/Walmart both have the 24 oz spray bottle. This is odorless and WILL NOT melt plastics and synthetics like DEET!!! Use this a couple days BEFORE you need it and let it air dry.

Head net: https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8941-Mosquito-Head-Net/dp/B000WFXDMK Get this and treat it as above. When you take off your helmet put on the net quickly.
    Gloves: Get some thin gloves- Maybe Rynoskinhttps://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rynoskin-total-unisex-glove. Treat like above. IF you are caught out in the mosquitoes changing a tire they will save your life.

Permithrin will last 6 washings. If you don't wash the clothes-like your jacket, it will last a couple of months

Skin: Use Picaridin (NOT DEET) spray and spray all, repeat ALL exposed/unexposed skin, except genitals and feet soles. Spray Hair to toes. You will need to reapply after water immersion.(showering) Don't worry about the smell of Picaridin, its odorless and IS NOT like DEET. Important! Do not wait to use Picaridin.. Apply BEFORE you get out of your vehicle or you will get bit. Picaridin lotion is great also, but doesnt cover nearly as well as spray. Homedepot/walmart)

Tent/Vehicle: Use a Thermocell. I use this one https://www.thermacell.com/collections/shop-all/products/backpacker-repeller IF the bites are via airborne bugs, turn on the Thermocell 1 hour before going into the tent or vehicle. You can turn it off when you go to sleep IF the tent/vehicle is sealed. I bought a packpackers size Thermocell (thanks Motopsychoman) that works miracles!

Most folks who get bit after using Picaridin either don't treat their clothes too, or, don't use Picaridin as directed above. Follow above and you will be fine.

BTW, If you are using a carpet outside your RV...treat it for ground borne bugs.
    portabill likes this.
  16. Just Dave

Just Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the thermacell. They absolutely work.
    Migolito likes this.
  17. RJAMT

RJAMT Who remembered the winch? Supporter

Oddometer:
    They work fairly well as long as you are in a dead calm spot. It doesn't take much breeze to disperse it and you lose your "shield". Of course, mosquitoes can't bother you when the wind picks up anyway. It's that band from about 5-10 mph you have to watch out for.