Lets see your lightweight camping setup!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by 5 speed, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Slappy McGee

Slappy McGee Fatty Fat

Oddometer:
    Denatured alcohol just means they add what is effectively poision to it, so you can't drink it to get a buzz (the "nature" of alcohol is to make you drunk, so "de-naturing" it takes away that property). You can use any high-proof liquor to power the little stoves (151 proof rum or grain alcohol works fine) and shave even more weight by combining stove fuel and buzz fuel into one liquid. Grain alcohol doesn't taste all that bad when mixed with some koolaid or the like.
  2. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    Its common to use HEET fuel treatment for your alchohol stove. Its cheap and readily available. I carry it in an old 20oz soda bottle - wrap your homemade tin foil windscreen around the bottle and stuff it in a little sack to protect it.
  3. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Where's the bacon?!?!?
  4. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great question. The key is if you are going lightwieght you won't have much gear. I spent many nights in my Hennesey in monsoon rains in South East Asia.

The main chord of the hammock provides a place to hang things from:wink: . This places it under the rain fly of the tarp to keep things dry. I stash my riding pants, jackets, boots, etc. over the chord at the wide end of the rain fly. Smaller items I put back into my dry sack and stash it underneath the hammock. You can also clip items to the chord both inside and outside of the hammock. Inside I keep my headlight, ipod, food and water. They also have a hanging pouch inside the hammock for these things.

Here's a pic showing my riding gear:
    [​IMG]

Not a great shot but you get the idea. Riding gear hung over the chord, most of the other clothes you are wearing, anything else packed back into the drybag.

Below: I have just finished setting up camp in the rain and taking a break underneath the rainfly in my Thermarest campchair. I was always amazed how dry underneath the rainfly was kept. I have even kept my helmet just resting on the Thermarest chair under my tarp all night with it not getting wet.

[​IMG]

Now admittingly at age 42 this is not how I would choose to spend weeks on end and its a long way from the Beverly Hills Hotel, however as long as its under a week, it's fine.

Here's a snap the morning after, the yellow bag airing out is my Bivouc sack I sleep in with sweats and sweatshirt.
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your endeavors.
    Woonjas likes this.
  5. smeghead

smeghead b00b

Oddometer:
    Good point, hadn't considered that - all I could think was 'bear piƱata'.

The hammock think is appealing except for the tree need and emergency exit concern...
  6. CrankyCoyote

CrankyCoyote scud no more

Oddometer:
    Question for the Ray Jardine enthusiasts:

Have you guys ever had a major medical emergency or bike failure in the field? Going ultralight is appealing, but I worry about not having enough gear to last or do what I need to do (like make a splint or keep somebody in shock warm) in the event of a serious incident.
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl
  8. astro

astro seek light

Oddometer:
    When I go for road trips with my R69S, I use a set of Aerostitch panniers for all the camping gear. . . tank bag for clothing, rain gear, & personal kit.

(Right Side)
    Western Mountaineering sleeping bag 35 degree down bag
    3/4 length inflatable Thermrest pad
    first aid kit fits on the top
    all backed in a waterproof liner bag

(Left side)
    Eureka One-Man Tent, rainfly & ground cloth
    Poles for same are < 12 inches long fit in the panniers with tent

Flashlight, pen and knife fit in the panniers' pockets.

Tankbag for clothes and rain gear

When the panniers and tank bag are loaded on, it makes a great wind break for making time down the road. Once you're camped the panniers come off for rides.

Works for me.

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  9. Fenrir

Fenrir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed that some people said they use a tarp. I've been looking for some information on tarp camping with the bike. I've heard that you shouldn't tie your tarp to your bike because it can blow over. Any tips or experiences would be appreciated, also what kind of tarp do you use?:ear
  10. bykpimp

bykpimp Live and let ride

Oddometer:
    Talk about packing light!! I'm digging the light bike NSR150 me thinks.

11. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't it be easier and safer to keep it in the new, unopened HEET bottle it was sold in?
  12. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Yeah but I'd rather have smashed food than no food at all. JMHO
  13. Doghouse_Riley

Oddometer:
    I bring all the 10 essentials, including a first aid kit, whenever I'm in the wilderness. Make a splint? Make it from branches or whatever you can find. Do you actually carry splint making material when you camp? Keep somebody warm to keep from going into shock? Put them in their warm clothes and sleeping bag (or quilt) under the tarp.
  14. Doghouse_Riley

Oddometer:
    I've used various tarps from "tube tents" (a plastic tarp made into a tube) to "space blankets" to sylnylon. Sylnylon is great, very light weight, but it isn't real durable so you have to be careful with it.

I've tied tarps to many things including my bike, a picnic table, a hiking staff and of course, trees. If it was blowing real hard and I had a light bike I'd be concerned about tipping over my bike. Otherwise, you gotta use what the environment gives you.:deal
  15. Tallboy

Tallboy hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer:
    I don't think the HEET bottles have screw tops which makes them less secure in the chance of the top getting pryed off. I've been using the same Pepsi bottle for 4yrs now and have not had any problems, fairly tough bottles by nature. I also wrap a good lenth of duct tape around the middle of the bottle as it makes a good storage space on the PepsiCo bottles.
  16. H-1000

H-1000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They come with screw caps now.

Just bought some to try in the Pepsi can stoves, works good!

Shane
  17. blitzkreig

blitzkreig Been here awhile

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  18. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey hey hey, its a NSR 150 SP
    [​IMG]

The bikes light, I'm light, and my gears light. When you're strumming the gearbox to coax all of the 20hp out of the thing it helps to not be laden down with unessentials:lol3 . Except my penchant for picking up cute village Thai girls:evil . Hence my need to maybe step up to a NSR or TZR 250:clap .
  19. kerhonky

kerhonky Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  20. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dont want to travel light in the area of horsepower and suspension. I have 55HP at a 300lb weight. The bike really needs to weigh 250. Cant afford to have it weigh this much so I wouldnt mind another 10HP.