1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    could be.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  2. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I had an 06 LBZ Duramax and it wasn’t crazy tall, you knew they sat 2” higher than the 1/2 tons because of the body lift to clear the Allison trans. It was definitely lower than the 11 and 13 super duties I’ve had and would fit in most normal parking garages height wise. Of course it had 245/75/16 skinny wheels and tires on it also.

I was at the Jeep dealer yesterday with my wife’s car and looked at a couple of the Ram trucks because, why not? It could just be me but they seemed to be more normal height or at least you could get in without having to do box jumps.
  3. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well for the last 30 years manufacturers have been making all vehicle's bigger, trucks reached there lenght and width limits so had to go bigger somewhere why not taller.
  4. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a software update for the radio. Affects nothing else. Worry not.
    Hannda likes this.
  5. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:

I dated a girl in Germany whose grandfather had a oil pit in his home garage. I figured she was marriage material, just based on that. I drove a 5-series at the time, I could pull in and do an oil change with a single wrench fifteen minutes. Ever since then, I've always had that idea stuck in my head for when I retire and build my shop.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  6. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tacoma grew up in 2005, and stayed the same till 2015. The 2016+ is different, but not really in size.

I'm on board with the "trucks are stupid tall now" team. I've been keeping an eye out for a S10. Had a couple, last was a 1998 2wd dropped about 1.5". Great for loading bikes!

2603260113_large.jpg
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    tacoma did go midsize in 2005, but they still offered a standard base model street height until 14.

F61D9484-4271-47A9-A062-F3FCDEF8F010.jpeg
  8. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like my little truck, yeah short bed but I can haul 2 bikes with the canopy off, the back seat is great for securely hauling all our stuff on road trips with the dog, cooler and other crap in the back.
    The 5.3 V8 is great for pulling our camp trailer.............and people that get stuck in the sand.

And it's great for hauling the grand-kids and their friends around on the beach

IMG_2063.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

Between the Elcamino and a utility trailer I don't have the need for a full size truck and if I do I can use my brother in-laws full size 4 door long bed Dodge that I can use anytime I want as he only drives it a couple of time a year. I've used it 3 times in the last 6 years.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ, marret and Dukehunt like this.
  9. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    2019 Fall Wheeling In.jpg
    lmavin and WARRIORPRINCEJJ like this.
  10. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Just traded a bunch of hand tools for this 88' plow truck, needs about 500.00 worth of parts to make it road worthy, all fluids changed, tune-up, front brakes, pitman arm, steering arm and a full exhaust system. With that said, I won't have to drive my nice 2012 in the salt and my new long assed driveway gets plowed, maybe even do some plowing for cash and drag a few helpless drivers out of the ditch this winter.
    [​IMG]

My 2012, bought new, never driven in the salt.

[​IMG]
    wee-twin, Hannda, norther and 6 others like this.
  11. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    53748243_720026765061479_2732196398278639616_n.jpg
    2018 Ram 2500 Power Wagon. We have 35" Maxxis RZR MTs on it now.
    ACR, Hannda, WARRIORPRINCEJJ and 6 others like this.
  12. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I can't reach the air cleaner on a beetle I'm so short, so these new trucks are killer for me, I can just barely reach the oil dipstick on my wife's 14 half ton Ram.
  13. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was 5'11, but may be an inch shorter now that I am older and don't stand up as straight.

I need a step stool to get to the dipstick on my 2014 F150 4x4, 5.0 V8. Stock wheels, factory ride height.

I would rather have 17" wheels instead of the 18s that came on it, and would prefer the be tailgate 6" lower than the current approx 35".
    WYO George likes this.
  14. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    5'7" on a good day, and I ain't getting any taller.
    Hannda and WARRIORPRINCEJJ like this.
  15. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a female german shepherd from 5 to 19 years old, I hear ya!

This dog was litteraly my best friend.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  16. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but let's be honest . . . that new tailgate is the sexiest thing to ever happen to a pickup since they got four doors. And now Ram has one that opens in the middle. Not sure if it all started with Ford's concealed steps that popped out of the tailgate and folded down or the Ridgeline's opening like a door and a tailgate.
  17. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Necessity breeds innovation. The byproduct of trucks getting taller is that we needed extension ladders built into the doors and tailgates.
    KeithinSC, Hannda and Fire Escape like this.
  18. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Add me to the list of people who hate these new tailgates. I’ll take a simple gate that won’t rattle apart with being used as a work truck and doesn’t weigh 200 lbs.
    Ctetro, sieg, villageidiot and 4 others like this.
  19. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

...and won't send something thrashing down the road when it shifts in the bed and goes crashing through your fancy tailgate.

That "barn door" style bed, on the Ram, has disaster written all over it. Fortunately, few folks actually put stuff in the bed, so...
  20. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Even the basic Ford tailgate steps are problematic if you ever load things in the truck with a forklift. We see them bent up and mangled all the time at the shop.