Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I missed the 3rd gen, had a 12v, 24v and now a 24v 4th gen with DEF. The 2nd gen 24v had one big injection cycle. Loud? Try 110 db near the oil pan! You couldn't sneak around with that. Like ball pein hammers on an oil drum.
  2. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 24V is loud. But, in my humble opinion, it will always be my favorite.

My (completely stock) 24V was a friggin' hotrod. If it was raining, I could drift that 4X4 dually around corners, while feathering the throttle. I named my 6.7 "Sid", after Sid Vicious, because of its towing capability. But, my 24V was pretty damned vicious, too. It'd run circles around my "torque managed" 6.7.

Funny things is, it was the mid-level engine. In 2001, they offered three torque levels...420 with the slushbox, 460 with the 5-speed, and 505 ("HO") with the 6-speed. When I ordered my truck, there was a backlog on 6-speeds. My other truck was already sold. I couldn't wait an unknown time for the six'er. So, I ordered the 460 model with the 5-speed.

Lions, and tigers, and bears!...that thing was fast!

I know folks have issues with the VP44. But, if I could buy a brand new 24V 4X4 dually, right now, I'd be on it faster than greased lightning.
    marret, Hannda and WYO George like this.
  3. LarryGS

LarryGS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My pickup. 1973 International 1210 with 4WD and dump feature. I don’t use it much, but it starts up every time. Trips to the dump and landscaping supply yard are it’s most frequent use. Our son wants me to give it to him. Im not ready for that, yet.
    5D555080-6B27-4A12-B186-ECEAA8E8FAAB.jpeg
  4. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I wish you could have taken my 12V for a spin. HEAVILY built auto with twin turbos, water/methanol injection and a crap load of other mods. Put in in 4WD, build the boost up to the low teens and simultaneously floor it as you slip the rear brake and you couldn't lean forward out of your seat until about 80MPH the G force was insane.
    marret, 1stgenfarmboy, JGNC and 2 others like this.
  5. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Love the old Internationals!
    dsilver1007 and WARRIORPRINCEJJ like this.
  6. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

I wish I could give you two likes for that one...one for me, and one for FR700 (R.I.P.)
    WYO George likes this.
  7. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

I betcha' your U-joints loved you. :deal :lol3
    WYO George likes this.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the beauty of the multi injection capabilities of common rail, if I remember right the ISB is 3-5 injections per power stroke and makes them so quiet. Try bleeding out fuel lines on the old 24v in a school bus...that gets loud.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  9. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Who remembers the belt squeak when you'd shut those bitches down?

SQUUEEEAKKK!!!
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Coworker has a 01 24v, twin turbo, O-ring grooved head, performance injectors, stacked programmers and the biggest FASS system you can get. He also has a 16 ram with the Cummins and a programmer so plenty of power and says pulling his horse trailer the new truck holds speed on a certain hill...while the old one builds speed all the way up.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ and WYO George like this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I broke a lot of stuff on that truck including stock U-joints and a carrier bearing, had custom drivelines built for it (one piece rear) with some beefy U-joints. Never broke them after that. It was a fun toy for sure, but my current one will stay stock. . . .

. . .probably. . .

. . .maybe.
  12. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Another reason the common rails is quieter is the FCA lets it lower fuel pressure at idle, that combined with multiple injections per cycle and the ability to adjust timing to way retarded at idle lets it get all quiet. Unplug the FCA and the rail pressure will spike up to 29k PSI and it sounds damn near like a 12V
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock till about a month before the warranty runs out, honey what are all these MRBP boxes in the mail for.:clap

If I won the lotto I'd probably way over pay for a 2gen with the 5 speed...yeah I such shifting the 6 speed but it would be my toy truck.

I'll warn you thou the Bs arent to bad but on the X15 they have blown high pressure lines off the connectors hitting over 40k psi.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ and WYO George like this.
  14. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Amen.
    ydarg and 1greenmachine like this.
  15. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thank you.
  16. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    My Duramax used to do that but not as bad as an old 12V. You turn the key off and the engine stops, NOW! The wimpy momentum from the accessory drive isn’t overcoming 16:1 compression.

I remember GM started putting clutched alternator pulleys on for people who complained about it.
  17. norther

norther Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer:
    5D062DA1-9410-41D7-BC20-8B86DD128306.jpeg 1EAB5283-FD6D-462F-AB47-0611CF35799C.jpeg
    My recently purchased 17 forced into duty. We couldn’t wait for delivery so a quick overnight run to pick up was required. Right around 6000lbs and no problems up and over Monashee Pass. I’m trying to keep it as my “pretty” truck but it’s nice to know it can do some work.
  18. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Don’t know why but felt 93K was noteworthy.

IMG_3155.JPG
  19. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    20191023_162923.jpg

She was practically doing wheelies, but she got it done! Who needs a diesel? Heck, who needs more than 4 cylinders? Psh.

Not a bad haul for my tiny ox

Freshsly cut heavy as fuk mesquite on the left, the darker stuff, the rest being a bit less dense.

20191025_162642.jpg
  20. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    It's amazing how different Mesquite looks just 900 miles away.

Probably some kinda' geographical evolution or the like.
    VxZeroKnots likes this.