Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. MNdirt

MNdirt less than 1% juice

Oddometer:
    I had to unexpectedly demo the top 6ft or so of my chimney on Saturday. Hauled ass to the local lumber yard in my 07 stroker to pick up some 2x4's to screw to the roof of my house so I didn't kill myself in the process.

The dude that does the loading slid a half dozen 8ft 2x4's into the box, lifted the tail gate a few inches, but didn't slam it home. After a few seconds, he convinced himself it was cool and slammed it shut. He turned to me and said, "You just don't see 8 ft boxes anymore". Dude sounded like he was talking about a long gone girlfriend.:lol3

It was a high point in a rather shitty weekend.
  2. SteelJM1

SteelJM1 Former Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer:
    I think it's the mesquite that grows natively around here. Messy pods, thorny as all get out, but good hot burning hardwood. I'm not sure what kinda mesquite grows in your area, but it's probably not this one if you're 900 miles away!
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  3. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

By your description, ours is very similar on the "thorny" and "hot burning" fronts. Ours is also great for smoking (especially when it's "green"/freshly cut). It really puts-off a lot of smoke.

The things that got me, on the Mesquite pictured, were the interior and the skin. The skin on the Mesquite you chopped looks to be a great deal smoother than the skin here in South Texas. And, I can't articulate the interior difference, but it does look a bit different.

I don't know if you grille with yours. But, at least for our local Mesquite, it really flavors a burger like nothing else.
  4. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    You probably didn't have to vacuum your Bedrug afterwards, did'ja?

WARRIORPRINCEJJ and JGNC like this.
  5. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Making some progress on the 88' chebbie plow truck, brakes done, rear diff. rebuilt and all the fluids changed, needs a full exhaust system, I'll get that done next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. TownPump

TownPump Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't own a pick-up truck, but hopefully one will be in my future and prefer regular cabs. What is the experienced wisdom on having a sliding rear window vs. not having it?

When or where is it at all useful or advantageous?

Some minimal ventilation?
  7. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    All my old trucks have sliding rear windows, neither of my last two new trucks have had it. I can't remember the last time I actually opened a rear window on any of my trucks. Probably not since the days of driving around with the window down and rear window open from lack of air conditioning.
  8. Guitar1327

Guitar1327 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love a sliding rear window on a regular cab, take It or leave it on a 4 door.
    dsilver1007 and WARRIORPRINCEJJ like this.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best friend would put mountain dew bottles on the front of the bed to cool down during winter, worked really good till you took a corner to fast.:lol3

Myself I've never had a sliding rear window and don't know what good it's for.
    TownPump likes this.
  10. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Listening to your ground guide...aka wife...give you really bad instructions while you're backing up a 30ft trailer in the middle of the night.

2. Quickly vacating a horrendous fart from the cab. Open the sliding rear window, then open the front windows. The resulting airflow will clear the entire fart from the cab before the front windows are all the way down.
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    #1 it's just easier doing it myself....I think we all understand why.

#2 haha, dont tell my wife because she would make me put one in my truck.
    JGNC likes this.
  12. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Yes, improved airflow. With the windows down or even cracked, especially on a standard cab, that wind has no where to go and can get uncomfortable fast. I don't have one on my new truck and do miss it.
    TownPump likes this.
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used the sliding rear window in my single cab short (back then 6 1/2' was short) to carry my surf rod. Butt against the inside of the windshield it did not stick out the back of the truck. Needed a little duct tape to keep things warm and quiet on the cold nights.

Bruce
    dsilver1007 and TownPump like this.
  14. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rear windows are good for air flow, but also if you have a doggy that you want to ride close to you, but not be in the cab and on your lap. Our golden retriever rode in the back of my 69 Elcamino from Portland Oregon to Glacier National Park on our Honeymoon with her head sticking through the rear window most of the way

She's back there somewhere :D

[​IMG]
    shakeybone, manx16, Hannda and 4 others like this.
  15. JTMETZ54

JTMETZ54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Feels way too early to be pushing snow.
    2D00E38F-3CDC-4933-938C-BA270109B1F9.jpeg
  16. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    That's because it is. I spent 2.5 hours behind the snowblower this morning.:bluduh
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  17. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I’m not blowing or plowing, I’m letting the damn stuff accumulate wherever it wants for right now. I’m already sick of winter.
    ...to keep it truck related:
    6BEAA6BB-2270-49BB-839E-FA3197C64681.jpeg

Stupid cold has made me a grumpy cat this week. Well, cold and crushing a finger last week and trying to work with nerve damage and stitches...
  18. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    At -17* I go with Queen's advice. Get under the covers, assume the fetal position and have a good cry.
  19. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:

Looking at the coolant, trans and oil temps can make one feel nice and warm :D

Sorry about the finger, the cold always make that shit more painful
  20. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice and warm here.
    20191102_134327.jpg