Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    turbo actuator went out. $900 part if I do the install myself. This is Wyomimg, the next closest dealer is hours away and for shits and giggles I called them and got the same answer anyway.

I don’t have the cash for a trade at the moment so I’ll fix it and keep going until the next failure then fix it and repeat until I save up enough for a 2021 F-350
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    https://vehiclemodule.com/2013-2017...MI39b3vffa5QIVbxitBh3vpAVQEAQYASABEgKkWPD_BwE

check that link. A lot of the times it’s just a failed diode or the like.

when I was doing Land Rover and jaguar the ABS modules were a common failure, $1700 at the dealer, module masters in Idaho would reman them with a great warranty for about $140, saved us and the customers a load of cash. I had one of each style on hand ready to go.
    wee-twin, Hannda, marret and 3 others like this.
  3. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link, that cuts the cost in half. Hopefully the turnaround time is quick. Much appreciated friend.
    ydarg likes this.
  4. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope it works out for ya, there’s always a way to cut the costs.

I believe that they have a buy from stock option where you ship your core back. Worth a call.
  5. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I’ll be calling them at lunch. Thanks again. All I found last night was rebuild services for the 07-12 version. You’re that man, big C
    Hannda and villageidiot like this.
  6. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't install it yourself unless you have access to software to setup and calibrate the new actuator to the turbo, hopefully you do.

If it makes you feel any better my truck today killed the blower resistor and towing the man hoist across town I need a bigger truck I can't afford.:(
  7. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I do indeed have the capability to calibrate. Sorry you're having issues too, it's no fun.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do it yourself make sure to check out the sector gear travel and that it doesn't hang up or have sticky spots, I'd recommend working it back and forth quite a bit either way.

It's been a stressful frustrating time lately kinda like what you are dealing with, have these 3 huge ash trees right around our house that are dieing fast due to ash bore disease and we were quoted $4500 to take them down. So to save money, Friday go pick up the tow behind lift and find out my tow haul switch is broke, the fan resistor dies on the way home, air bag light is on and has Midwest dance coming on strong...The joys of owning a 15year old truck.

Reality it pulled the trailer fine thou braking on these 06 Silverado are bad enough without a trailer, it's just times like these it would be nice having the bigger trailer to handle these trailers easier.
  9. WYO George

Oddometer:
    The sector gear is smooth as silk. I tore it apart today and ran though all the diagnostics to verify it's the actuator and not the wiring or computer. I have a reman actuator on it's way, less than half price and one year warranty so hopefully it'll last me through the winter at least then when summer comes I can decide if I'm going to keep it or trade it off. I try not to make big decisions when I'm pissed, that never goes too well!

Regarding the ownership of an aging truck, yeah it does get old, but it's still cheaper to fix a few little things than to buy a new truck. I don't mind working on vehicles that are paid for, it just gets under my skin to buy an almost new (or new) and have to start working on it right away.

Oh yeah, Ash Bore sucks! Sorry you have to deal with that.
    1greenmachine, ydarg and villageidiot like this.
  10. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    My truck is starting to become rather squeaky and bouncy. The roads here are in terrible condition and are hard on vehicles. Looks like I need to do some suspension work earlier than planned.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  11. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tra gang!

RidingDonkeys and EVLED like this.
  12. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Yeah, never make impulsive decisions when you’re mad. That’s how I ended up trading my first 2011 F250 once the lifter shattered and had been repaired. It had 8,500 miles on it and I traded it in the day I drove it away from Ford after the head was replaced.

Traded it for a (then new) TDi Wagen. Not only did I knowingly get hosed on the trade, that car ended up being the biggest POS I’ve ever owned.....karma for getting rid of the truck.

My 13 just hit 90k and has started to need nickel and dime maintenance like for instance, a charcoal canister because I got tired of it taking 20 minutes to fill with gas. Considering it has been paid for since 2016, I can’t complain too much.

Good luck with the Ram. You’ll get it straight and this will pass!
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good sign and not needing a turbo saves you a good amount of money, maybe you'll get lucky and the egr cooler will leak and burn down your truck like the recall for it.

The only thing worse than what I'm dealing with is your situation, I'm be boiling over angry needing to spend a good chunk of money after just buying it. I feel bad for you that it was the engine having issues as IMO that's the only reason to buy a dodge 3/4 ton.

Yeah this ASH bore sucks and worse is the stupid fucking old owners that planted these tree or could have got rid of them years ago when then were alot more manage able. 20191014_125622.jpg
    WYO George and WARRIORPRINCEJJ like this.
  14. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

My crew and I could easily get those squared-away for about $5K.

I don't see the issue. :dunno

:hide
    1greenmachine likes this.
  16. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, if we could afford it I'd cut you a check in a heartbeat. The job isnt easy either way but having a real lift and chipper would have been really helpful as we hauled out 7 overfilled dump trailers of just brush.

The biggest issue besides money is this fall is been so wet that the ground is like a sponge and driving on it you sink right in. There was a tree not in the pictures I gave them the ok for in Sept, they told me we were looking at mid to late winter at the earliest...every tree crew is way behind.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  17. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made some more ZR2 converts on Saturday.

We made a run out to Death Valley for an underground event(going in abandoned mines with pros) and getting to said mines required some mountain climbing.

As we ran out of seats for everybody I took two guys with me in mine. Could have taken one more but I had my daughter's seat in the back.

Climbing up the mountain wasn't an issue. My truck hooks up and articulates well for a pick up.

My buddy in the Jeep warned these guys about my driving and the way up we were just BS'ing and stuck behind the leader of the group. Didn't do anything wild.

The way down the mountain there was no need to wait behind everybody and cruise so I told these guys to strap in.

Start blasting down the trail and the faster you go the smoother the ride is. Also, this truck jumps like a pro! I have yet to go in a truck that doesn't bang and crash the suspension over jumps. Mine is like riding on pillows on take off and landing.

We blast down the trail getting sideways, jumping, laughing our asses off and when we get to the bottom the brakes are hot!

We had been over rocks and through mud. Bush whacked all the plants that grow due to the spring.

It was awesome.

It has convinced me that when I upgrade it will be to the Chevy performance suspension kit and not an aftermarket setup. The truck is already so good but the bit of extra articulation and lift plus allowing bigger tires. That is all I am really after.

The truck is a beast in stock form.

Chevy is finally coming down on the prices of their off road kit so my mouth is starting to foam!

IMG_20191109_164016.jpg

IMG_20191109_123159.jpg

IMG_20191109_110157.jpg
  18. nevermind

nevermind increasingly less

Oddometer:
    Looks like the WB on the ZR2 and SxS are nearly the same. Optical illusion?
  19. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely. My wheels are larger so drawing comparison of where rear seat to rear wheel for each, ZR2 is longer.

That said, ZR2 wheelbase is a lot shorter than the new Gladiator. Decently nimble for a pick up truck.
    nevermind likes this.
  20. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
    Latest truck project, 2005 Sierra, west coast truck that's never seen a real winter.

130K mikes, Z71, SLE with buckets & center jumpseat, so clean I did a fly & buy -

[​IMG]

Swapped the center jumpseat console out for a real console, added USB ports connected to the new Pioneer AVIC-7200NEX stereo -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pics from the last few days here in Colorado...wheels are 2015 GMC Sierra OEM with Falken Wildpeak tires -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    shakeybone, lmavin, Bors and 21 others like this.