Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I'm not into stouts, but you have a great time with that stuff.

I get to replace the ABS sensor on my X3 here 'soon.' Gotta be before the end of the month. Inspection sticker's about to be up

M
  2. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gave up on Ford trucks after three in a row, each new and worse than previous, either puked vital fluids or left me on foot. Slow learner I guess. I had subarus too, another automaker that needn’t worry about me darkening their dealership door again.
  3. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This 72 Ranchero was at a car show here in Victoria Australia today. It was really nice, has had a fair bit of money spent on it, but he's painted most of the stainless trim black, not sure if I prefer it over the shiny stuff.

My 74 still has the shiny bits.

20191117_103936.jpg
    Hannda, Chillis, manx16 and 4 others like this.
  4. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diesel with emissions deletes? Tunes for gas engines are still 1/10th that cost.
  5. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. Tune and tuner are almost $2k. Well, or so I'm told. I'd never commit a federal crime like that. You know, to save money and get better fuel mileage while adding more hp and tq. :augie
    Hannda likes this.
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Yes, got it going Friday. I had some issues with my new laptop not talking to my OBD connector, but in the end I used my kid’s Kindle Fire and downloaded AlfaOBD and it worked just fine to program the actuator.

Also, the reman actuator I ordered came in and the sent me a brand new one by mistake. When I asked they said to keep it and send in my core and they’d give my core charge back, no worries.

thanks for the help.
  8. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I've been looking at the possibility of a LAV to take down to Chile in a couple months when I move there. The thought got me talking to a lot of friends in the industry, which turned up some interesting info that might be of interest here.

8-lug Suburbans are dead. Chevrolet is ceasing production by year's end. They had already reduced significantly and sold only to Uncle Sugar for a year or more.

The big armoring companies are staying away from Ford for two reasons. First, their attempts at going ultralight have led to massive failures in "rivetless" design systems. They've obviously gone this way for fuel economy requirements, but when stressed the systems are failing.

The second reason is the high boron content in steel parts. These companies are seeing wear hardening where the steel is sheering instead of bending or crumpling on impact. This is a major safety concern for the aftermarket, and since they know, they don't want to be complicit in a fatality due to steel. Apparently they have pleaded with Ford, and Ford doesn't see it as an issue worth addressing.
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  9. WYO George

Oddometer:
    2013 was the last year for 2500 Suburbans and 2014 was the last for GMC Yukons, at least on the public menu. They were good vehicles though, I really liked the 8.1 versions.

They have a Suburban 3500HD available to fleet Customers, but it’s not an 8 lug so I’m not sure why they call it a 3500. (EDIT: Incorrect based on flawed intel...) It’s basically a stripped down version without all the gizmos and with the 6.0 engine from a HD pickup.

https://www.raypricecars.com/showroom/2019/Chevrolet/Suburban+3500HD/SUV.htm
  10. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

Someone at the Ray Price Chevrolet internet sales needs to be fired.

It's not a "Suburban 3500HD", it's a "Suburban HD". And, it is an 8-lug truck. The very least they coulda' done is post the correct pic...

Suburban (3).jpg
    plumber mike and WYO George like this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Yes, I thought it was 8 lug, but looked at the pic and it was six lug so I assumed they had changed it. Here's a rundown on the differences:
    http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/07/chevy-suburban-3500hd-heavy-duty-vs-chevrolet-suburban/

It seems the "3500" gets assigned many places so I'm not sure what the deal is there. Here's the pdf order form and GM lists it as a Suburban 3500HD http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-cont...18-Chevrolet-Suburban-3500HD-Order-Guide-.pdf
    WARRIORPRINCEJJ likes this.
  12. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Yes, the 3500 Suburban has the same body, but different frame and axles than the 1500 platform. It is cost prohibitive for GM to do in small volume, and most international customers don't want it now that modern armor has gotten light enough to place on lesser platforms. Hell, we don't even want it because it stands out. Nothing screams American like a Tahoe. I'm less of a target in many countries in a BMW. Our Tahoes and Expeditions stay parked in many countries.
    eddyturn likes this.
  13. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

It's probably a "Monkey see, monkey do" situation.

When I found Big Sid, up in Greenville, I called the Internet Sales number in the ad. After about ten seconds and two questions, I began to wonder if the Sales gal had ever even seen a truck.
    ydarg, WYO George and RidingDonkeys like this.
  14. hooligan998

hooligan998 Save a life, grope your wife.

Oddometer:
    Latest shot with the new grille lights in... 20191111_172159b.jpg
  15. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I know that heavy duty Suburbans exist and that the govt buys a lot of them. Driven past the lot where they're stored.

Row upon row of new w/ window stickers on em. All black.

M
  16. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    The definitely exist, just not for much longer. Production ceases this year. Remaining inventory will probably take a year or two to cycle out.
  17. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    As old man winter tightens his grip on Michigan, I take the mighty 2500HD for one last drive before putting it away for the season.

[​IMG]

This will be my daily driver for the next 6 months.

[​IMG]

Rusty but trusty, 88' K1500, 198,000 miles, rebuilt 350 5.7 FI, runs like a top and everything works, AC, cruise control, automatic, manual shift transfer case & locking diffs, she's a beast!!!

[​IMG]
    shakeybone, Hannda, norther and 4 others like this.
  18. HRS

HRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    2500 HD is a work truck isn't it? They don't work in the winter?
    sieg likes this.
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Not unless you want the cab corners to look like that...88? 89? :D
  20. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Indeed it is a work truck, with zero rust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    manx16, WARRIORPRINCEJJ and ydarg like this.