Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. drz400smoto

drz400smoto Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Which tracks are these?
  2. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    X-BULL New Recovery Traction Tracks Sand Mud Snow Track Tire Ladder 4WD (3Gen, Red) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS1SKIW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DOljEbDDXGPJW

I haven't got all the mud out of them yet but I think they're still usuable. They had a 30,000lb truck on them last month and the one yesterday was 50,000lbs but one track is bent now. They have saved probably $1,500-2,000 in tow bills so far.

I have yet to use them for something their intended to be used with.
    drz400smoto and Road Rash like this.
  3. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I have those same tracks in my Amazon wishlist to take with me hunting this fall since I'll be hunting in the high country of Wyoming and snow is inevitable. I try to avoid sketchy situations, but we'll be up there for a week and anything is possible.
    Hannda and Road Rash like this.
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My truck parked at a friend's cottage, during a guys' snowshoe weekend. His driveway is 1 km (0.6 mile) long, curvy, and not flat! Almost a foot of fresh snow overnight. Photo was taken after we drove the pickups in and out a couple times to make the track easier for the 2 less capable vehicles to get out to the main road. Of course, the plow guy came right before we left, so we needn't have bothered.
    norther and Dukehunt like this.
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buddy bought a brand new 08 silverado 3/4 ton and parked it out in his yard out of the way. Couple weeks later we a get big snow storm and he needs to use the truck....yeah wont engage 4 wheel drive so using his 89 chevy with 300k on it we pull it to the driveway..he was pissed.

I use mine a few times during the summer so know it should work when needed.
    ydarg likes this.
  6. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    The real problem with a lot of todays 4x4 is their not a linkage but air and in the winter the air lines freeze which is why on the Ford's (dont know about other manufacturers) they still put the locking hubs on 3/4 and 1 tons. I've never bothered about using 4x4 just to make sure it works, I use it when i need it and have never had an issue. But then I also use it on occasion because i need it, but it could be weeks or months or more in between uses.

Oh forgot to mention if you have a truck with the air actuated 4x4 and say you are going to get a snowstorm and are going to need 4x4 it is always best to put it in 4x4 before you park the truck for the night, then it won't matter if the lines are frozen the transfer case is already locked into 4x4. Use to have to do that with my 11 before the warn locking hubs.
    Hannda likes this.
  7. RebelYell

RebelYell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not a big deal I've seen em on the same f250/ 350 platform n it's srw not a dually..mines only n xlt togo to a lariat and have the camera,lcd screen leather switches in truck n driving lights would been 10 grand more..I got mine out the door for 31500 but I use it for work n fun,it's not my only daily driver..I don't need no 90 grand mb wanna be brodozer.
  8. RebelYell

Oddometer:
    I see all these used trucks,like platiunums King ranches denalies.upscale editions that were 60 plus new now they have like 90 thousand miles on em and the stealerships want 30 to 45 grand used..I'm like you must be kidding screw that let the truck rot on the lot..I do not want someone else's headaches n problems
  9. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you think they're stealerships, then you probably just aren't a good negotiator. (I'm speaking in generalities here.)

The markup on used trucks is not much. Well, depending on the negotiating ability of the guy or gal that traded it in. I'll use my own as an example. In case anyone wants a meticulously maintained 2015 Ram 2500 MegaCab with a Cummins, mine is on the lot at Modern Infiniti in Winston-Salem NC. They are selling it for a whopping $1791 over my trade-in value of $36000. That isn't much markup, especially since the average Joe is going to walk in and offer them $35000.

https://www.moderninfinitiofwinston...alem-2015-RAM-2500-Big+Horn-3C6UR5ML8FG686003

So how does this work? Well, it's all about accounting. You have two systems for used cars, Last In First Out (LIFO) and First In First Out (FIFO). They differ, and they accomplish different things. You also can't just switch your accounting practice for convenience. It takes some paperwork and some approvals. But in car world, LIFO works like you'd expect. They just brought this truck in, and when something sells, it counts against that. Now, it doesn't have to be the exact thing sold. So my truck came in two weeks ago, their most recent addition. But the car that sold yesterday was a 1992 Honda Accord sold for $2,000. They report a $34,000 loss on my vehicle. LIFO increases the cost of goods sold, but decreases carrying inventory prices. So for tax purposes on a car lot, this makes a lot of sense.

Assume that my truck sold today at $37000, and that 1992 Accord was traded in for $1000 and was the oldest item on their inventory. Now, under FIFO, they would show that they sold a $1000 product for $37000, netting them $36000 in profits. But that $36000 truck, my trade in price, is still financially on the books even though the physical truck is gone. The cost of goods sold goes down, but the carrying cost of inventory is up. They're going to pay a lot of taxes on that if this were year end.

FIFO is the standard way of doing business. LIFO is something you have to request. Most used car dealers use LIFO, because it lowers the tax burden, even though cash flows are relatively the same. And that is what the auto business is all about, cash flows.

So now that you know this, use it to your advantage when negotiating. Cash flows are king. Buy at the end of the tax year. Know that when a dealer says "I've got $36k in it," that it doesn't mean shit if they're doing LIFO accounting. Also know that you never "win" in this game. They'll always make a profit, otherwise they wouldn't be in business. Winning means getting the best deal you can for yourself, not beating the dealer.
  10. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    My ol'Blazer has a 203 with a part time conversion kit and I've been told that if you don't use 4 wheel drive that often you should put it in 4H without looking the hubs in and drive it about a half mile to sling the oil around in it. I do that plus lock in the hubs in 2H to get the oil splashed around in the front diff.
    But since it's no longer our DD, when it does get out it's usually beach bound

Never gave much thought about my Colorado, but it gets put in 4WD at least once a month.

The Colorado's in the fleet at work (both 1st & 2nd generations) rarely get put in 4WD but they always work when needed.
    Hannda likes this.
  11. Road Rash

Oddometer:
    Thanks, like George I've had my eye on a pair of these, I've got a cheap pair that I've used to assist me on pulling people out that get stuck on the beach, but they are pretty flimsy
  12. nevermind

nevermind Wrong Again

Oddometer:
    Isn't it "mandatory" to blast up and down the road after a fresh, deep snow in a capable 4x4? Much fun to be had by all... :D:D:D I loved to go out in mine during big snows with a tow strap and pull little cars and mall crawlers out of the snow drifts...
    jon_l likes this.
  13. lookatdirt

lookatdirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I prefer the physical shifter, too. My truck has manual hubs and a physical shifter. It's just more manly and satisfying. LOL

But I spent 20 years driving off-road at work in company trucks, most of which had automatic hubs and a knob to select 4WD. I never experienced a failure of the 4WD actuator on any of these vehicles. Ever.
    And I drove them hard. Truth be told, it's nice not to have to get out of the truck and lock in hubs and also handy to quickly select 4WD Hi in a pinch.

I engage the hubs in my personal truck for a few miles every month or so. I usually just engage the hubs without putting the transfer was in 4WD- if I engage the transfer case, I make sure I'm on a dirt road.
    Road Rash likes this.
  14. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about adding a 20'x3/4" Yankum rope to my recovery kit. This guy does some amazing things with a couple of those and his XJ. I figure the smaller size means I can use it on the sleds and it'll take up less space in the truck doing nothing the rest of the year. Also my 4wd gets engaged in "Auto" maybe a half dozen times each year and seems to work when I need it. I guess I try to keep myself from getting really stuck. That's what the motorcycle is for.

15. Road Rash

Oddometer:

This is where those Traction Tracks would come in handy.

I've seen those stretch ropes work good, but I know people that do a lot of recovery that do not recommend them.

Both of those rigs should have aired down (if they did it wasn't enough) and that guy towing the trailer should have never been there in the first place
    tony the tiger and DSquared like this.
  16. RebelYell

Oddometer:
    I'll usually put it in 4wd lo or high n drive it about a mile to get everything moving if I haven't used it in awhile..this year since I already have 40 k on the odo I'm gonna change the fluids on it,already had the trans changed
  17. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Heh, I need 4WD just to get into my driveway.
  18. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not envy you. :vardy
  19. Schmokel

Schmokel I got band for a fat joke.

Oddometer:
    Driveway's a bitch, yea, but its worth it. I'll never have neighbors again.
    wee-twin, SnowMule, TurkeyRun and 4 others like this.
  20. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:

"So we got a call......":jack

I've been watching Matt's videos for a few months now and the Yellow Banana hasn't failed to pull a vehicle out yet. And he treats his customer with respect and doesn't judge them, not like a lot of the comments people leave behind.
    Chillis, tony the tiger and DSquared like this.