Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rusted up semi trucks are the opposite, the longer the better to break stuff loose.
    villageidiot likes this.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    this x 100

It’s nice to know how, have the tools, facilities, etc etc to do whatever you could possibly want.

BUT

After doing it daily for the last 20 years, it’s not fun anymore. I’ll never build a car for myself like I do for customers. I don’t drive old cars, usually getting a new car every year, I want nothing but oil changes and tire rotations.
    motocopter and 1greenmachine like this.
  3. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    nice selection of ratchets.

I don’t have THAT many, I think I have 9 total.

2 quarter drive short ratchets
    1 3/8 in quarter drive body
    1 3/8 standard ratchet
    1 3/8 long handle ratchet
    1 3/8 long flex head
    1 1/2 standard ratchet
    1 1/2 flex head 18” ratchet
    1 1/2 breaker bar about 20” long
    ydarg and 1greenmachine like this.
  4. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately my having the tools means loading up tools and bringing them home, 3 weeks ago I did my front hub in my driveway. I'm up to 14 years at my current job, if I had the money I'd never own anything out of warranty and let someone else fix it...sadly I get to deal with 15 year old vehicles.

I really only use 3 or 4 of those ratchets, the rest are used as backups or to fit in certain spots. My big 3/4" ratchets are hiding in a different drawer as they are to big to fit in there. I'll have to look if I can find my speed wrench somewhere.
    villageidiot likes this.
  5. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys ever see car ads stating something like owned by a mechanic? :lol3 Then there were the oil commercials. Something like go after hours and see what the mechanic put in his car? :jack

We sold oil by the quart. Bike takes 3.8 quarts. That leaves .2 quart donation to my oil change! :D
    Cbody, WYO George and villageidiot like this.
  6. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I’m sure that’s the case for some. But for me, I’m an anal prick when it comes to vehicle maintenance.

My current truck is under litigation with GM right now and I’m still changing oil every 4k and rotating tires, checking air filters, etc etc.

I dunno how long I’m gonna be driving it between now and when it all settles out. So it might as well be impeccably serviced like I always do. I’m sure those that have bought vehicles from me appreciate it.
  7. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I'm the same. I am crazy on top of maintenance and typically do 1/2-2/3 the factory service intervals. My diesel costs me roughly $200 for an oil change doing all the work myself (it gets fuel filters every oil change and they cost $95 for the pair) and instead of going the 15,000 miles that Cummins recommends I change it at 10,000 miles. My Harley is supposed to get engine oil every 5,000 and transmission every 10,000 and I do both every 3,000 and use the expensive stuff when I do it, not the cheap oil and generic filters. Same with my DR and pretty much everything I own except my '83 Toyota Pickup and '95 4Runner. Those two get oil changes every six months with no regard to mileage, but they do get the good oil so I don't feel bad about it. Hell, I even change the oil in my two lawn mowers and snow blower once a year and use Synthetic lawn mower oil in them!

For anyone wondering, YES, I know that I am wasting money with excessive maintenance and using top tier products. I'm OK with this. I don't smoke, drink, gamble or pay $150 a month for TV like most of my friends so spending extra money on my vehicles is like my version of entertainment and it makes me feel good inside.
    bike41, WoodrowBDR, EVLED and 3 others like this.
  8. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not recommend buying a vehicle from me, granted they are over 15 years old and getting pretty rusted away so not worth anything any ways. Now my wife's Subbie I'm putting as much maintenance as I can because we really need kit to last.
    villageidiot and WYO George like this.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets just say i know a guy that services are billed out by the gallon and ends up with a few extra quart bottles and has tons laying around, yesterday I only bought a filter since the oil is free.
    motocopter and villageidiot like this.
  10. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I’ve been called anal over maintenance more than once.
  11. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    When I talked to the guy I bought my V-Strom from I knew I was buying it (even though it was 2,000 miles away.)....... because he was a maintenance freak.....I was not disappointed.

I also change oil every 3k no matter what the manual says for my Cummins.
    villageidiot, WYO George and ydarg like this.
  12. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    You own the best engine model Cummins has ever made, as long as there's some oil in it you can run it a long time. Now the new ones with the egr and exhaust stroke injection are the ones that would benefit most from shorter oil changes.
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Yes sir and it will run on anything that even remotely resembles something burnable.
    WYO George and 1greenmachine like this.
  14. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The new charcoal canister fixed my fuel fill problem! 26 gallons of unleaded pumped in at full throttle in under 5 minutes.

I know everyone was on the edge of their seat in suspense
    Bt10, jon_l, WYO George and 2 others like this.
  15. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
    Despite an incredible mild Michigan winter this year so far, still got some use out of my 88' chebbie plow truck project, she purrs like a kitten and plows like a tractor.

[​IMG]

Sure beats the ATV's that I used for 20+ years.

[​IMG]
  16. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

With that many square feet to cover I certainly agree. I still like my Polaris for plowing but have to admit that I am much less anxious to 'get out there' than I was a decade or so ago!

Bruce
  17. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hurry up Spring!
    Moose Dog and ydarg like this.
  18. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd rather be riding it, but I like the way my new to me 701 looks on the back of my truck

20200228_154440[1].jpg 20200228_154432[1].jpg
  19. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its not fuel efficient or pretty but it gets the job done and goes cool places

20200225_113010.jpg
    20200225_122300.jpg
    20200225_125358.jpg
  20. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    There are ways to deal with non fuel efficient trucks...

Duke got a bit heavier this week:
    3E2C769A-3F19-4037-AAEC-39CC2380AE7B.jpeg