Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Gravity feed transfer since it’s a diesel. With gas you have to run a pump and deal with more complex plumbing.
  2. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have been curious why a siphon method couldnt be done like some guys do with their rally raid bike tank setups
  3. TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do Like!

As such, probably illegal in the PRofC
  4. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Setting up gravity feed on a gas transfer tank will flood the vehicle’s evaporative emission control system with gasoline. That is bad.
    SnowMule and WYO George like this.
  5. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Like @ydarg said, it will screw with your evap system. It will also set off a check engine light because the newer gas vehicles monitor gas tank pressure as part of the evaporations system. They'll throw a check engine light if you drive off with your gas cap removed. That's actually a big part of why a lot of vehicles use the capless fuel filer; it automatically seals itself so you don't have to get the gas cap seated properly.

You can piggy back on the stock system, run a non-vented auxiliary tank and tie the vent aux to the factory tank vent with a transfer valve/pump that basically pumps fuel from one to the other without increasing or decreasing the factory tank pressures. It's not terribly complicated, but it does have to be done right to avoid check engine lights!

Gravity feed on a diesel in legal in most states, although there are a few states that disallow it. (Texas is one, not sure of the others) Gravity feed to an engine is illegal in every state, fuel MUST be pumped from tank to engine, but gravity from one tank to another is legal on a federal level. There are a few companies out there who sell auxiliary tanks with pumps that enjoy scare tactics and quote portions of the federal regs and tell people that gravity feed is illegal, but if you look at the source of the information they use you will find that they suspiciously omitted the words "except diesel applications". Imagine that, a company lying to make more money....

Ahh. I better not get on that rant.

Long story short, gravity for diesels works fine. Gravity for gas is a no-go in terms of legality and functionality.
    tony the tiger and ydarg like this.
  6. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    My truck came with a 48 gallon tank I figure I'm good.
    VxZeroKnots and WYO George like this.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 42 gallon tank on the bed of my diesel, I had it set up gravity and a solenoid valve. But with a 5/16 line and sub 7 mpg pulling 19000lb in hills it could hardly keep up when the aux tank was low. So I ended up putting a pump on it. 20 gallon it 10 minutes. When it gets to half tank I run the pump for 10 minutes.
  8. WYO George

Oddometer:
    It's great that they are finally putting decent sized tanks on trucks, but for years they ran pitifully small tanks. Our shop truck is a crew cab short bed F350 and stock tank was like 26 gallons. That was ridiculous when pulling a loaded gooseneck trailer. Ford upped it to 48 a few years ago and Ram finally went from 32 to 50 gallons for 2020, but it's a $295 option to get the bigger tank. It's still nice to finally get an option. If mine had a 48/50 gallon stock I'd probably not have bothered with the auxiliary.

I'll see how this one does with just the gravity feed and if needed I'll put a pump. My problem with the pump is my ADD and the fact that I will absolutely, 100% forget that it is on and thus pump fuel out on the ground. If I go to an electric pump then I'll use one of my dash mount aux switches run through a timer so that it auto shuts down after a pre-determined amount of time.
    Mountainhound and sieg like this.
  9. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah ive seen that. Would be nice to plumb it to the bottom of the oe tank so that wouldnt happen. Fill the main 1st then the aux if im thinking right.

A company makes a long range bolt in setup but for the tune of 2k is a bit drastic
  10. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I missed this from a while back.
    Once I started working in the motorcycle industry I discovered the joy that are T handles, now for most two wheel work powered or non powered T handles are where it's at.
    Fire Escape and WYO George like this.
  11. plumber mike

plumber mike Highdive Deepened

Oddometer:
  12. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. plumber mike

Oddometer:
    No. Last 2019 Leftover with some generous cash rebates. Last year for the Cummins in a Nissan as well.
    tony the tiger and ydarg like this.
  14. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    I thought they had already stopped making the Titan XD. Nice truck!
  15. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you found one, I dont think the local dealer has had one for a long time, around here they were a huge sales flop.

Do you keep your trucks a long time, let's just say that engines on the complete other side of design from your 12 valve, hopefully it trests you good.
  16. plumber mike

Oddometer:
    It was the last 2019 they had. It was loaded so more $$$ probably kept it on the lot longer. I only keep the ones I like. The rest get swapped every few years. The 2017 Ram 2500 it replaced wasn’t anything to write home about. At 40,000 miles, the drivers window mechanics were screwed up, the traction control warning light was hit or miss and the drivers seat was almost worn through(2nd Ram that’s happened).
    The Nissan isn’t my only truck, so I’m not too concerned that it’s not as capable moving weight. It’s far more comfortable and refined. Higher quality by a long shot. I’ve still got a first gen 12valve and a bulletproofed 6.0, both with manuals and tcases.
    The Nissan has a 5year/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty, so as long as they stay in business, I should be good for a while.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  17. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I don't use too many t-handles 'cause Park only recently started making them. They've made p-handles for years tho so I HAVE used those.

There's good things and bad things about both

M
    squish likes this.
  18. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's my beasty for haulin the toys around!
    Diesel fuel is so cheap right now i might start daily driving it 20191224_105453.jpg
  19. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really looking forward to your experience with it, IMO it was a doomed truck from the start with them marketing it as a in between truck and the engine didnt have great power or fuel mileage. I've done online training for that engine and I'll take the proven inline 6 everyday.

Not surprised about your Ram experience, we've got one at work thou it's a 1/2 ton and not impressed at all with it. Theres a reason they are the cheapest to buy, will be interesting to see how the new ones hold up.
  20. SGrider

SGrider I give up Supporter

Oddometer:
    New to me '04.5 Silverado diesel.
    20200314_174103.jpg

Price of fuel today.
    20200320_161000.jpg