Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a nice setup, thou if you were to be a snowplow guy around here you'd need to add another 50 led strobes.:fpalm
  2. adam728

adam728 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And around here you better have 4-6 rear facing LED flood lights that you leave on when driving down the road.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  3. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    I've thought of one, but my truck bed is only 5'9". If I had an 8' bed I'd probably get one.
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Moose Dog

Moose Dog Mr. Nice Guy

Oddometer:
  6. drz400smoto

drz400smoto Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
  7. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any major issues with the F-150's from 2005-2008ish timeframe? I'm looking at picking up a truck later this summer, and that's probably the range of what I'd be able to get. Goal is something with under 150k miles, super cab so I can fit a car seat in the back. Most around here seem to be the 5.4L engine. Don't need 4x4, but won't pass one up if it has it.
  8. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Cam phasers on the 3 valve 5.4s are known to get noisy and replacing them is $$$.

Lotsa speculation as to why they crap out but consensus points to sludge. Once the engine has sludged up, the phasers will inevitably crap out again because it’s impossible to get it all out.
    ArcticaMT6 likes this.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    The engine has it's well documented issues, tons of engines have issues but Ford also sold how many millions of those engines.

The frames rot out bad if it's a rust belt truck, plus the usual body spots.

My uncle had a few F150s with the 5.4 and now has one with the 5.0, the coyote is a hell of a lot better engine IMO.
    ArcticaMT6 and machinebuilder like this.
  10. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I'm not a brand loyalist and have vehicles from about every major brand in my fleet. With that said, I'd put more trust in a pre-AFM Chevy 5.3 than I would a Ford 4.6/5.4. That's not to say that the Ford is a bad engine design, but it has it's quirks and the Chevy is a much simpler design which tends to result is fewer issues as the years and miles start piling up. I have two customers with over 250k on their 5.4 Fords that I maintain and both have seen a few repairs, but still solid bottom ends. I also have a 2003 Silverado with 296k miles that has been treated horribly and neglected more than most and it still has 20psi oil pressure at idle and runs like a new truck despite the years of abuse before it came to me.
    Bueller likes this.
  11. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just watching this video on the 5.4 the other day. Documented repairs where the only economical solution was to replace the entire engine.

ArcticaMT6 likes this.
  12. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Just appears to be quite a bit more fords on the market than chevy here, so figured i'd ask about the most common configuration.
  13. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    Momma's truck earning it's keep.

IMG_20200613_085106908.jpg
    Hannda, plumber mike, jon_l and 6 others like this.
  14. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 99 5.4 powered shop truck at my job cost $800 to have the sparkplugs replaced and a tune up at 77 thousand miles.
  15. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camping in eastern Oregon last week. My nephews trailer make ours look even smaller than it is LOL

IMG_2973.JPG
  16. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey All- Looking for a Chevy/GMC short bed, single cab, 4x, V-8, circa 1988-1999- the non-rust version... I'm in CA, but open to 1000mi road trip. Thanks!
  17. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    I was quoted about the same, $1k or so, for a tune up (spark plugs) from the dealer. The plugs are about $10/ea. and I've got ten of them. The reason it costs so much (I asked) was they were going to do a fuel injection system cleaning in order to make sure there wasn't a lot of carbon build up on the backside of the plugs. They strip when you remove them and the shop wanted to do the fuel injection cleaning to prevent the plugs from stripping. I was quoted about 1/2 that from a mom & pop shop, so YMMV.

You can buy the same 3M fuel injection system cleaner the shop uses for roughly $50 on Amazon, the spark plugs are $10/ea., for a total of $150 in parts. I asked my local dealer about that and they said it's almost eight hours in shop labor, $880. Go figure.
  18. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in the midwest, dont waste any time looking here as mother earth has reclaimed them all.
    sieg likes this.
  19. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Better to stick to dry CA with the $$$ of trucks. These years are know for rotting out. I was lucky with mine as it used to belong to the water dept in the central valley, Manteca IIRC. You can probably go to the auctions and get either a military surplus, Dept of Forestry or maybe an old PGE truck that's 4x4.
  20. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard so many different methods that people do to avoid breaking them, what the deal told you seems to be the more successful one thou with the Lisle tool they can get the broken ones out easy to. I'm hoping the 6.2 doesn't have the same issues as that has 16 plugs and half aren't to fun to get to.
    norther likes this.