Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let’s see how this one goes.

2020 Ranger, 4x4, locking diff, XL trim, cloth seats, power windows n cruise n shit. Base model, with a little extra.

83906770-C9F3-48E9-BF1F-7DE93764D185.jpeg
  2. RyanE

RyanE Diamond on your timepiece

Oddometer:
    Another day in the life of my old 9th Gen F350.

20200620_113345.jpg

20200621_182923.jpg
    ducnek, tony the tiger, ydarg and 6 others like this.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed sumosprings and haven't touched them again in the 10 years they've been on. $150? Extra capacity, but no height compensation.
    JGNC likes this.
  4. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks! I have not had that issue on either of the 2 trucks I ran them on, have yet to add them to my new yet. Curious if when in for service if your truck was put on regular lift or whole car lift, the regular lifts allow tires to hang and stretch the bags which can cause leaking, firestone recommends not to do that and to use whole car lift.

The cost and complexity are worth it in my opinion, add as much air needed for task at hand release when done no hard ride from extra spring.
    JGNC likes this.
  5. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I recall that warning from Firestone but it has been a dozen years since they were installed.
    The truck has certainly been on regular lifts in the ensuing years. It can certainly be done but not many places use whole car lifts when replacing tires. I did all my own fluid changes for quite a few years and that was done 'on the ground' so it probably did not see a lift of any kind for the first 40,000 miles or so when it got tires. The leakage has been since new so it wasn't likely the original issue. I don't have anything to tow anymore so other than my thinking they should have some air in them when checking the tires, I just ignore the air bags. Glad that yours have worked out, I really expected that they would be great for balancing out an unevenly packed truck camper but never did get one so......

Bruce
  6. RyanE

RyanE Diamond on your timepiece

Oddometer:
    Hellwig Helpers and Airbags

I've got another 9th Gen F250 4x4 regular cab that I run the heaviest (?) Hellwig 3500 helper packs on. They've been on it since 2013 and have been trouble free. Basically set them and forget them. They are slightly adjustable in that you can dial in the "preload" when empty (it lifts the truck) however this does affect the unloaded ride. I noticed it made the truck a bit stiffer and harsher unloaded. It also makes an annoying clacking sound every time I go over bumps where the u-bolts that mount to the oem leafsprings are located. The paint/powdercoat has held up very well with no rusting.

I considered using the Hellwigs on the F350 (pictured above) but they don't fit over the OEM overloads (my F250 didn't come with OEM overloads) so I went with Firestone Riderites instead. I installed those about 3 years ago and have no major complaints. They are plumbed independently so I can use them to level the truck, depending on load. They do make the ride more "bouncy" however this can probably be managed with better shocks . I have some unknown mileage basic Munroe gas magnums so an upgrade would likely be of great benefit.

I think the airbags limit articulation more than the helper springs. Not so good for offroad use I suppose. They also create more "sway" in my opinion, mostly only noticeable when hauling my truck camper. I've started to use the airbags to simply level the truck and adjust them to keep the upper overload leafsprings just in contact with the bumps so that the overload springs can assist with stability. This has been an improvement. I will probably make some kind of spacer to fit the overload bump stops and engage the overloads sooner when I've got the camper on. This should tighten things up even more.

I've not suffered any leaks with the Firestones yet. The cheap nylon lines and push to connect fittings that come with the kit seem somewhat suspect and might be the source of the leaks that others have experienced. I replaced those lines and fittings with better quality stuff from my local heavy duty truck shop (airbrake stuff).

Compromises with both systems I suppose.
    JGNC likes this.
  7. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Yes.

:shog
    villageidiot likes this.
  8. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  9. GIL

GIL Landlocked Waterman

Oddometer:
    In my experience...Put a little dishwashing detergent and water in a spray bottle... wet everything containing pressurized air, and your leak will reveal itself. Don't forget to check the Schrader valves as well.
    Good luck!
    acesandeights likes this.
  10. bobcat

bobcat recalculating

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2011 Ford Ranger in Utah, May of 2019.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hannda, manx16, wee-twin and 5 others like this.
  11. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually my truck is for pulling our 5th wheel RV so no bed covering, but we take an annual road trip back home to Michigan and since we stay with relatives there is no need for the RV. Last year I crossed my fingers and brought along some garbage bags just in case I needed to "waterproof" the luggage in the bed along the way. We got lucky and didn't run into any rain, but I didn't want to push my luck this year.

Found a dirt-cheap topper on FB marketplace and just picked it up for the trip. It's short by about 1 1/2-2" so there is a tiny little gap up front, but I'll feel much better about tossing our luggage and other crap in the back for the trip this year. It needs a good powerwashing and some new lift gate cylinders, but it'll work. I should be able to turn around and sell it again after the trip for what I have in it. Can't beat free.

[​IMG]
  12. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old workhorse. Slowly dissolving from the ground up. Currently have it apart replacing broken exhaust manifold studs

20200614_145143.jpg
  13. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    My first new truck was a 2001 in that same color and body configuration except mine was an XL with steel wheels. I even ran an aluminum box in the bed just like yours.
  14. blueridgegs

blueridgegs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just got it and need a suggestion on how to carefully get the FX4 decal off.

20200624_135129.jpg
    Hannda, bobcat, fellowsja and 5 others like this.
  15. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Park it in the sun for an hour or so, get a corner started and it peels off easily. It’s just a sticker, no clear is over it.
    Hannda, Bultaco206 and sieg like this.
  16. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ydarg has it right. Get it warm, it will peel right off. Use a hairdryer also. Follow up with some Goof Off or WD40 to get rid of any adhesive residue. Then wax.
    Hannda and sieg like this.
  17. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:

I like your garage.
    Bultaco206, JGNC and villageidiot like this.
  18. Guitar1327

Guitar1327 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    next time make the dealer do it.
  19. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Mine peeled off surprisingly easy. I was expecting to need heat and have goo left, etc...just like you probably are. It was a sunny day, no drama.
    I pull out, straight away from the surface more so than rolling back to remove stickers and have had better luck with the stickers not leaving glue behind this way, but I don't think it would have mattered here. These came off super easy and clean.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I gotta take my 4x4 decals off too.

I’m very bummed how Integrated the badges are on these new trucks, all I can take off is 4x4 and “ecoboost”
    Chillis likes this.