Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. I have a strict badge and decal policy with dealers. Most seem shocked. When we bought our Infiniti prior to coming to Chile, I had agreed to a number prior to showing up at the dealer. The salesman, who only knew me from negotiations, said “You don’t strike me as a badge and decal kind of guy, so I’ve got the shop stripping everything during delivery prep.” I’d have bought that man a drink had it not been 10am.
  2. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Damn, it’s been a crazy busy weekend with a cluster F¥€£ resulting in a little over 700 miles of trailer transporting just to end up back at my shop where I started yesterday morning. The good thing is that despite the failure of the weekend, I still get my $2/mile for trailer transports plus 20 hours labor and $250 per diem to cover my motels which only cost $112.

Along the way this happened:
    0197838A-08A8-4A85-B4C2-671B0FEAF8ED.jpeg
  3. blueridgegs

blueridgegs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did just that.
    It came off perfectly.

Nothing on paint to show that it had ever been on.
    I'm thinking no decal makes the short bed look longer.

I'm pleased with the 3.5 EcoBoost.
    23.3 mpg coming home 250 miles from the dealer.
    Seat massagers in it...WTF!
  4. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better trade her in before it falls apart, sounds like you've got a good business setup. What do you deliver?
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm very proud of my Z71 decals, distracts your eyes from the good sized dent below it.:lol3:fpalm
    Graybush and villageidiot like this.
  6. Graybush

Graybush I like turtles.

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Sierra AT4 (5.3 with 18" wheels and Duratrac tires) last fall to replace my 2014 Sierra SLT, which had been a great truck. There are a couple of small things I like better about the previous generation, but overall the current version is far better. The 2019+ did away with the adjustable pedals and added an auto-stop feature. There is a button to disable it, and after 2-3 weeks of starting the truck and immediately disabling the auto-stop, it's now just part of my habit pattern. I definitely do NOT like the push button that allows opening the tailgate from inside because I have unintentionally opened my tailgate several times. Luckily no marks were left anywhere, but it's just a matter of time, especially since the auto-stop and tailgate buttons are next to each other. But like I said, overall very pleased with it. At first I thought the fancy tailgate was gimmicky, but I've come to really like it. It makes loading and unloading much easier.

Top, 2014 SLT. Bottom, 2019 AT4:
    20200628_113145.jpg

IMG_20191109_193143_781.jpg

Auto-stop and tailgate buttons:
    20200628_114048.jpg

IMG_20200531_182931_516.jpg
    farleywilbur, Hannda, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  7. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My daily. Sierra 1500. 5.3, rwd. Actual long bed. Rubber floor. 34 gallon tank. Overall mileage is right at 20. It'll make 23 on the freeway with cruise set at 70.

D4DEC2BD-CC93-4969-A491-3F50B3EB140F.jpeg
    bike41, Hannda, manx16 and 6 others like this.
  8. WYO George

Oddometer:
    It’s a Ram, it started falling apart the day it was made, now I have the freedom to fix it right without worrying about warranty.

I work for the state teaching the motorcycle classes and I also have a contract servicing the motorcycles used. Long story greatly abbreviated: I was headed to teach across the state and got there only to find out the location wasn’t useable and won’t be all year so the trailer with 15 bikes is now going across the state to another location. It’s much more screwed up that that, but that’s the Reader’s Digest version.

Here’s what I transport, it has 15 motorcycles inside plus all teaching supplies and 40 gallons of fuel.
    59E3B77A-2FB0-4899-93F9-27B4403BA745.jpeg
    Hannda, WoodrowBDR, Chillis and 8 others like this.
  9. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Tell the dealer they need to remove it before you’ll buy it.
    WYO George likes this.
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised they are doing motorcycle classes with everything going on, sounds like you have a lot of running around to do your job.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the next thing to fall off the truck will be the exhaust system and watch your mileage increase.
  11. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    This sounds all well and good until you see the idiot they send out to do the job.
  12. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I have a sneaky suspicion that the EGR and exhaust will fall off crossing a creek this week. . .

We've been fortunate to still run classes. We were limited to half class size (6 instead of 12) for the first couple months and now we're up to full size classes, but rumor has it we're getting cut back down to half classes in a few weeks. We'll know more Monday as they have a big meeting planned. I'm expecting them to re-restrict things starting the 15th, but hopefully not.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  13. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be interesting how you like it on the other side of that creek.

That's got to be a real headache for you with not knowing what size class you'll have and rescheduling the people. I dont even know if they are doing classes around here.
    WYO George likes this.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, our program administrator is amazing at her job so all we have to do is show up where we're scheduled and she takes care of the rest including getting us paid in a timely manner. She's the only one who is an actual DOT employee, the rest of us are contractors so we just do the work and get paid. She's left with the headaches of scheduling classes, communicating with students, filling vacant spots, arranging class locations, etc.
    Chillis and 1greenmachine like this.
  15. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good deal, so are you weekends only or pretty much any day of the week? If I ever make out to Wyoming and meet you its only to talk trucks and not be judged on my skills.:lol3
    Chillis and WYO George like this.
  16. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Just weekend classes. During the week I’m either machining stuff or working in my shop fixing bikes and restoring antique vehicles.

No judgement at all!!
  17. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That makes sense, I thought you worked on stuff from other posts....its been a short weekend after a long ass week.

Definitely would be talking trucks, you're farther away than my yearly 300 miles I put on the bike.
    Chillis and WYO George like this.
  18. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

In my case the salesman himself (older guy, lots of actual mechanical/vehicle knowledge, i.e. not your typical sales person) met me at their body shop on Saturday (when the shop itself was closed for the day) and removed them himself. Heat gun/hair dryer briefly and they peeled right off. He then washed the truck to insure there was no sign the stickers had ever been there, all good.

Yeah, having the 'lot boy' attack my (then, 2006) $47,000 truck would not have pleased me!

Bruce
    avocadofarmer likes this.
  19. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got Betty the F350 back from the dealer today.

A couple of weeks ago she was idling and decided to let the smoke out from around the PCM area under the hood and went completely electrically dead. Visions of replacing ECMs and PCMs and wiring harnesses and fuse panels and alternators and batteries have danced in my head since then.

The verdict? PCM relay was cracked, allowing water intrusion and causing a short.

A $24 part. This was replaced and the dealer also replaced the dual OEM batteries under warranty.

AAA and the factory warranty meant my cost was $0.00 for the repair and $20 that I gave a friend for rides to work and to pick up the truck.

My dealer (Tommie Vaughn Houston) is f**king awesome.
    TurkeyRun, jon_l, manx16 and 10 others like this.
  20. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad it was a simple fix! A neighbor had a relay short out for whatever reason. It caused his truck to catch fire late at night in the carport. He lost his truck, his home and his dogs from a shorted relay. It was a new truck, too.