1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always figured Dodge chose the name “rampage” because that was the likely outcome when a new owner tried to bring home a sheet of plywood, or accelerate to merge on the highway :lol3
    AZbiker, StittWall and spokester like this.
  2. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Re: diesels - it’s a tough call these days. Originally trained as a heavy diesel mechanic in the ‘80’s it was clear to see even back then that Cummins built their engines to design, longevity and serviceability standards than other manufacturers didn’t (in the days when NTA 855 dominated the OTR truck market). I know that info has no bearing on today’s offerings, but everything I’ve read suggests Cummins is still the engine to have. It’s the rest of the truck I don’t trust as much. Ideally I’d love to have a GMC/Cummins/Allison 10 speed if I was going the diesel route, but of course no such animal exists from the factory. As for ford, they lost me in the truck market. Too many years of subpar Diesel engines foisted on trusting consumers who couldn’t have known just how bad those 6.0’s and 6.4’s were going to be, prematurely worn front end components, failed transmissions, etc. and quite frankly, I don’t want to have to pull a cab to work on an engine.

I bought my ‘17 GMC 2500 gasser new, it’s a great truck, but our eventual RV upgrade might outstrip it’s capabilities. As I think about the possibility of a diesel purchase Ford doesn’t even get consideration, even though they make a ton of power and have nicer interiors than the GM offerings. As much as I’d rather have a Cummins engine I’d likely go with the Duramax/Allison combo and take my chances that the latest iteration isn’t going to eat a set of injectors while I own it.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  3. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome Supporter

Oddometer:

Do you know how I became a Cummins fan? I owned two Fords...that's how.
    AZbiker, Stroked 550, Cbody and 5 others like this.
  4. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    So much hate for ford :( I had a 6.0 and it was a great truck for 7 years when it burned to the ground from stuck plow solenoid. The 6.0 and 6.4 were motors designed and built by navistar not ford and the problem with the 6.0 was a bit of disconnect between the navistar motor and the ford wiring, because that same motor is very reliable in the international trucks on thier own harnesses. But now the 6.7 is a ford product from r&d to build it's thier baby, and it's a good one.
    eddyturn likes this.
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's my biggest hesitation about getting a Ford, just a huge cluster f@ck under the hood and makes working on them suck.
  6. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ford diesels aren't bad for maintenance, I haven't done oil change on the new one yet but my 11 was the easiest oil changes ever, the drain plug was a quarter turn and no tools needed and the filter is right there were you could grab it with both hands. Fuel filters easy peasy. But i must admit i do miss the days of my 83 k10 where i could climb right up in there with the motor, nowadays far to much crap under the hoods.
  7. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tractor engine that can be put in pretty much anything. Theres a reason all OTR trucks are inline 6 designed.
    sieg likes this.
  8. engineman

engineman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm on our local volunteer ambulance. Ours is on a ford F450 chassis with the 6.7 MULTIPLE times we have had the thing go into limp mode during a transport where it will only go 25mph. That was the last straw for me and Ford
    Cbody and 1greenmachine like this.
  9. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bilstein 5100 all the things. IMG_20200827_083217.jpg
    AZbiker and villageidiot like this.
  10. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    The local firehouse by my work uses a international chassis, I'm glad my life insurance is good.
  11. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Everything I hear and read suggests the 6.7 is pretty good. No???
  12. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    The 6.7 Ford in my company truck just turned over 221,000 miles today and has had zero issues. My 2016 Ram 6.7 on the other hand has been quite problematic and the damn truck rattles like it's 50 years old every time I hit the slightest bump. I generally drive without the radio turned on, but in the Ram I have to have it on to keep the rattles from driving me crazy.

My 2001 Silverado 1500 with 298,000 miles rattles less than my ram.
    sieg, 1greenmachine and Bueller like this.
  13. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    I moved to SUVs after driving pickups for years. I wish I had digital pics of my 1960 Willys pickup, I liked it a lot.

The last pickup was an 89 Nissan. It lived a long and useful life, I was second owner. It developed a problem I couldnt afford to fix, so it sat a long time, then transformed into a trailer and lives on.

Original form

cabin3.jpg

Arisen from the grave

Nissan 9.jpg
    wee-twin, cjbiker, Bueller and 2 others like this.
  14. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know the early ones had some teething issues like melting down cylinders and other issues and being a diesel nothing is cheap. The new ones ive heard nothing really bad about them but still quite complex.
    Bueller likes this.
  15. LandofEnchantment

LandofEnchantment Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is from last winter. The rare snowfall of SE New Mexico!

ABA79D2F-384E-4660-A8FE-5E05F6D77785.jpeg

2018 Nissan Titan Pro-4x. First brand new vehicle I’ve ever had. Got a great deal on it at an end of year close out. Great truck. 5 year 100k mile warranty. 25k miles now with no issues.

Dad has same year Titan as well in a different trim. He has another car he drives more, so only put 16k miles on his. No problems either.
  16. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The only real engine issue I’ve seen with the Ford 6.7 that all the others don’t have is the jackhammer problem which is under TSB. Yes, I’m sure everyone knows someone who has 2nd or 3rd and maybe even 1st hand experience with other major 6.7 engine problems.

Other than that, CP4 problems, picky about fuel quality, DEF heater issues, differential pressure sensor issues, limp mode from prolonged idling, etc. Similar fuel and emissions related problems exist with all three.

2012s had primary radiator leaks later in their lives that had been resolved with an updated radiator.
  17. Woundflatout

Woundflatout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2019 Raptor @ Rally Ready Driving School open track day. IMG_20200613_203329_943.jpg
  18. Matt_Mc

Matt_Mc Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I hit a pothole the other day with the Cummins and something fell up into the OBDII port. Man, does THAT make a difference !

20200911_190636.jpg

Screenshot_20200912-182334_Auto Agent.jpg

I'm going to find that same pothole and let it know exactly how I feel about my exhaust falling off later next week as well !

20200914_172448.jpg
  19. ernest t bass

ernest t bass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Really Enjoyed Owning This Truck

2003 Ford Ranger 4x4
    4.0 V6 Automatic
    14 to 18 mpg
    Back When $22,000 bought you a decent truck
    120,000 trouble free miles
    26132_1252189587453_6196934_n.jpg
    AZbiker, motocopter and Doc Watson like this.
  20. ArcticaMT6

ArcticaMT6 Long timer

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, Chevy makes a "Work Truck" package for their new Colorado. $22-25k (list is more like $30k, but dealers advertise lower) for a 4 door with a 6ft bed, V6, though 2WD. I've been looking into that a bit lately. Going back and forth between a beater or one of those.