Let's see your pick-up trucks!!!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by trevorf, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Yeah, you have to homebrew a wiring harness with a potentiometer and a relay in addition to powering it from the up fitter switch. Finding info online from people who have done it to the 6.2 trucks is almost nonexistent. No one could say whether you need the relay (you do) shown in the Ford BBAS wiring diagram for the SEIC. Voltage has to be applied in sequence for it to work.

I’m happy with it. The potentiometer is discreetly tucked away into the cubby where the passenger airbag switch would be so there are no signs of any mods. All the wiring was put into loom and taped up so it looks factory.

Appreciate it! Everyone says, the first time you hold her you can’t describe the feeling.....I always thought that was BS. I can tell you for a fact it’s not.
  2. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Exactly

That they look good and (seem to) work well is an added bonus

M
  3. Dirtleg

Dirtleg C-16 is tyranny. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You asked.
    Big Ugly. 93 F350 7.3 Diesel 275k miles.
    20201009_181455.jpg

19' Titan XD Diesel. 20k miles.
    20190823_190505.jpg
    Slipkid, Bors, villageidiot and 4 others like this.
  4. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 12 Volt Solutions high idle mod on my 2017 6.7. It plugs into the factory PTO harness, replacing the factory blunt-cut wire bundle. As long as parameters are met (in Park, parking brake set, oil temp >20°F, etc.) the engine will ramp up to and stay at 1,200 rpm. Tapping the brake or releasing the parking brake or shifting into drive cancels high idle mode.

It is a quick-connect harness and can be removed completely in minutes (the wiring is under the passenger kick panel), although my Ford guy said it's not an issue as uses the same circuitry as the factory PTO high idle system.

I never idle the truck at low idle for any length of time. At high idle the A/C is ridiculous even in Houston summers and the truck gets up to operating temperature in minutes regardless of ambient temp.

2025555602.jpg 761583272.jpg
    WYO George likes this.
  5. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Chevy you can set high idle with the cruse control, if in park and the break is set.
    SnowMule likes this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    On the Ram it just has to be in park, no need for the brake. Turn on the cruise then press "set" and it goes to 1,000RPM then you can use the cruise up and down buttons to adjust it from there anywhere from 1,000 up to about 1,600RPM in 50RPM increments. When it's cold out and the engine temps are below a certain threshold it will automagically go into high idle if left to idle for more than 30 seconds. If you click the exhaust brake on then it will also go into warm-up mode where it restricts the exhaust while idling up a bit which helps it warm up crazy fast for a diesel.

There's a lot of things I miss about my Ford and a lot of things I don't really like about the Ram, but the engine management is dang near perfect. Transmission management isn't close to as good as my Ford was, but the aftermarket programming has helped in that regard quite a bit.
  7. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    The 17+ Fords are cake to add high idle to now that they put the blunt cut wires into a pinned connector.

Mine was confusing to say the least. The labels on the wires matched the diesel SEIC labels, the gas labels weren’t even close. Fortunately the wire colors were correct and matched the diagram which is what I went by.

The relay is necessary because it applies battery voltage in sequence once the system is armed.

IMG_0169.jpg
    WYO George likes this.
  8. phuzzygnu

phuzzygnu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...Just like my Peterbilt.

I don't know why Ford restricts it but the solution(s) are relatively painless.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had 13 hours of labor when she was born at 3am, I was completely exhausted but lots of emotions run thru you that first time.
    ydarg likes this.
  10. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    It was a blur and I was exhausted. Ours was fully breech even after a failed attempt to flip her a week before she was born so C-section was the only option. The birth part went quickly...having our newborn taken away to the nicu immediately was the longest 6 hours of our lives.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  11. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks, you need to stop over in the new dads thread.
    ydarg likes this.
  12. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I'm familiar with the feeling. Our twins were born 3 months premature, birth weights of 1.5 pounds and 13 inches long. They spent their first 13 weeks in NICU before coming home. That was a very long three months with my wife and newborns living 250 miles away at the hospital while I worked my ass off pulling overtime to cover expenses then blast down for a quick visit every Sunday.
  13. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Not sure what truck you're talking about, but Ford has high idle stock for years I think. It's an option. I think when I bought my truck in 2005 it was an option, or at least a really easy add-on. Now you can have the high idle set at whatever you want from the factory if I remember right.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Did you not read two other guys posting about adding it to their newer Superdutys? Neither my 2011 nor 2014 had it.
    ydarg and sieg like this.
  15. ydarg

ydarg Miscreant

Oddometer:
    No, they haven’t and no, it isn’t an option.

SEIC is and has always been left up to the 3rd party body builder. All 11-16 and 17-20 trucks come with blunt-cut wires under the dash for the 3rd party to tie into.

https://madocumentupload.marketinga...1cd5053426a93b09e646f8289a9a8bbc7eb3&v5=False

Thought I remember you having a 6.5 way back when like 08-09 and a bunch of us got together and helped you out. At least what I remembered from DTR/TTS back when Nick owned the site and I was into the Dmax scene.
  16. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    Never had a Chevy or Dodge. I dont know what DTR or TTS is.

Ford announced in 2005 that SEIC was built into the vehicles computer, it's programmed. You just have to pick a resistor and it'll give you the idle RPM you want. Takes 5 - 10 minutes. I guess I thought that was what you were talking about.

It's so easy, even a ydarg can do it!
    Dirtleg likes this.
  17. WYO George

Oddometer:
    And yet you can walk up to any Ram 2500/3500/4500/5500 with a 6.4 hemi or 6.7 cummins and simply turn on the cruise control and using +/- buttons select any RPM between 900-1,500 without any additional wiring, programming, switches or modifications of any kind.

I still say it should be the same with any of them. They’re all 100% drive by wire, it’s silly of them to require wiring in addition components for such a basic function.
    RoverGS likes this.
  18. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    My old nearly-new-at-the-time Nissan with my just-completed shell made specifically for the cross-country move from Seattle back to Richmond, for which it's being loaded up. That truck went over 300,000 miles on the original clutch. Great little truck.
    IMG_8557.JPG
  19. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first truck was a Datsun 1500. this is it behind a bunch of my old Hippy buddies back in the early 70's:
    img196.jpg
    img197.jpg

My next truck was a Yota SR-5 with a camper shell. Here it is at Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja in the early 80's:

D.1.jpg
    Yota 4.jpg
    Yota 1.jpg
    GSPD750, wee-twin, AZbiker and 10 others like this.
  20. JeffPrice

JeffPrice Ex-primitive CoDriver

Oddometer:
    Digging through old photos found some shots of my 1994 Chevrolet K1500 manual 5-speed getting out of the Blue Mountains after a snow storm; scans of actual 35mm photos. Still have/drive the truck as my primary - 130k.
    WallaWalla_snow storm1 (2).jpg
    WallaWalla_snow storm (2).jpg
    It was after this we went to town and bought chains to go back and get our trailer....which, in passing another rig when leaving again, we side-slipped off the side of the road - thankfully the brand new chains on the front and 4L kept pulling and we got the ass-end of the loaded truck and the trailer back to the road after crabbing sideways for a good way.
    1stgenfarmboy, manx16, jon_l and 2 others like this.