Let's see your pickup truck camper shell build outs

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by BigEasy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I think in the next year or two Mrs. Easy is going to allow me to tap out of the work force to pursue my dream of being a water rat/biker tramp. To accommodate pulling a trailer with a boat/kayak/motorbike I'm planning on just putting a topper on my Tundra and building out the interior for sleeping some nights. I plan to predominantly tent camp if I'm somewhere for a few days but it would be nice to have a quick bunk to jump in if I arrive where I'm going after dark.

I saw a video on YouTube of this build and think it will likely be my "guide" in what I wind up with

image.jpeg

So if you've got one post it up and please feel free to describe the highs and lows/dos and dont's.
    Ruffus, ACR, FishHunt and 3 others like this.
  2. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    might look at roof top tents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Thanks but no thanks on the RTT. Between my romance with beer & whiskey and an aging prostate, late night pee runs would likely end in a broken neck:lol3

And just in case, no I don't think a pee bottle in the RTT is viable for me.
  4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddy has one that's as simple as 5 brace points made of 2x4, corner braces and center cross, that leaves plenty of room for under bed storage. On top of the sheet of plywood he rolls out a 6" thick memory foam mattress. It seems pretty much perfect.
    pennswoodsed likes this.
  5. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    expedition portal is your friend on this one

...but be warned... that rabbit hole goes VERY deep

M
  6. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pics, but I put 8 of these flat LEDs in the ceiling of my cap. 4 on a switch inside, up next to the hinge for the back glass. The other 4 connected to the manual interior light switch on the dash. Stuck them in place with bathtub caulk direct to the fiberglass. Smeared the wires with caulk also to keep them stuck in place. Left one unstuck. Glued a magnet to the back and coiled up 6' of wire so I can move it wherever I want inside or outside the cap. Nice when messing with the propane tanks on the front of the travel trailer when it is hitched up.
    Wicked bright.
    $21.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KL9NNI0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the trailer have any storage? Makes a big difference in what you need to do with the camper shell. I had a simple bed platform with pull out storage (rollers built into the end of a 3/8" plywood slider) in a previous life, but I'm about to buy a Four Wheel Camper this time around
  8. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    I spent a few years as a dirt bag climber, living out of my 92 f150 reg cab 8ft bed with topper.
    1. Like the layout in the pic, mine had benches on both sides with the channel in the middle.
    2. Slider between truck and cap so you can crawl back and forth, essential for stealth camping with topper locked.
    3. I used milk crate bed height with an above cab topper height...could sit on bench without slouching. The above design is slightly lower...more head room with a standard topper.
    4. The open floor space is nice for sitting with leg room, you might create a way to make a table using the bed plank.
    5. I had couch cushions for a mattress, easily moved around for access to storage. Or, just use a camping pad if you are comfortable with that.
    6. Small single burner stove.
    7. Cooler is nice for keeping beer cold and keeping food fresh.
    8. 5 gallons of water minimum
    9. Spent a few hot nights in JT. Could have used a generator and an AC unit. ;-)

I usually stayed in the truck, used a tent when out and about.
    Maggot12 and BigEasy like this.
  9. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I’ve been thinking about this too. Trying to make a pivot system because I live in a hilly area to level the sleeping pad. I have ideas, but haven’t done anything yet. I’ve slept in the back several times. I’ve done a yoga mat with a thermarest on top at Motorcycle areas and trail runs. I’d like to elevate a sleeping platform that’s hinged with under storage.
  10. disconnected

disconnected brap

Oddometer:
    I’m dealing with a Silverado with a 6.5’ bed . That’s my only picture from yesterday on this phone.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never really tricked one out but I’ve slept in a good many. My only comment would be that the bed at wheelwell ht is high enough. At truck bed ht it’s a bit claustrophobic
    Maggot12, BigEasy and disconnected like this.
  12. TacocaT

TacocaT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find a lot of good pics I have a simple set up in my truck. 1 1/2 sheets of plywood and some scrap 2x4. After having a real simple design in a toyota for a long time I thought I was going to build something like the one in the first post for my new truck. Then decided I wanted to be able to get it out with minimal effort when I need to do truck stuff. 8 screws and the whole thing comes out. Middle is three leafs that can rest on the floor when not in use. With the back leaf out I can sit on a crate and use the side or other leaf as a table. The right is one long compartment with a hatch at the far end in case something gets stuck at the end. I use it for skis and camp chairs etc. Left is divided into to two compartments. All my gear is in Rubbermaid totes that slide easy on the bed liner. I can have my dog back there with stuff underneath without him climbing all over it.

Not really great to hangout in mostly for sleeping but works in a pinch when cold or wet outside. The best part is no need to put shoes on at night to pee just stand on the tailgate and let rip. I have done it without even getting all the way out of my bag.

work mode

IMG_20170410_152734409_HDR.jpg
    play mode DSCF0675.JPG mode
    nk14zp, Slipkid, 911 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if I'd classify this as a build-out, but I got fed up with the whole toyhauler thing and went back to basics. My truck is my only vehicle, and it's also my work vehicle. So I started with a simple wood shelf up front. I had no idea how handy it would be, but I would be lost without it now.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because I have the 5'6" box, and I'm 6' tall, it's sometimes not convenient to lay diagonally. So I invested in one of these. It's one of the few products that I've found performs way over its price-point. If it were twice as much it would still be worth it.
    [​IMG]

In order to have a place to stand and change clothes, park a cooler, store gear bags, etc., and get out of the weather and bugs, I invested in one of these Clam pop-up gazebos with the sides.
    [​IMG]

When combined, all of this makes for a decent setup. I call it a class-WTF Motorhome. :lol3 I lived in this for 8 days at the Central ADV Rally last year on a really nice air mattress and it was perfect for me.
    [​IMG]
    Amphib, Chico, tjzondrz and 7 others like this.
  14. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    pratered and BigEasy like this.
  15. Lucifer Orange

Lucifer Orange perpetually amazed

Oddometer:
    I custom built a plywood platform and other storage for a previous truck. I found it limiting when taking different types of trips and gear. And when I wanted to use the truck for anything else I had to remove the heavy platform & cabinet and store it some where.

This time around I decided to keep it simple, and more flexible. I found a comfy folding cot that fits right and cut the legs to get the height right. All my stuff is in waterproof bins sized for the contents and well organized. 2 bigger bins and 3 small ones usually. Food bin and cooler in the cab. Ez up shelter. Also a big fan of the DAC Truck Tent .

I can sleep in there with everything inside when needed (stealth camping). Or put up the shelter, Put the DAC tent on, put bins outside and have the whole open truck bed to spread out in.
  16. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Not mine, but I'd seen the original of this video before. Simple, comfortable, inexpensive and effective.

Found it, the original video:
  17. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cozy. The lamp and the curtains make it nice & homey.
    Hannda and disconnected like this.
  18. Hannda

Oddometer:
    With the bike on a hitch rack I could see camping like that.:nod
  19. Hannda

Oddometer:
    You probably won't want to go this route. :uhoh

JustKip and jonzn like this.
  20. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Haven't started on anything yet but as a closet minimalist I am liking this idea. I also had the thought of running a 4 by 4 down each bed rail and across the front under the topper to add some headroom, any reason that wouldn't work?

[​IMG]