1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's see your RD's and RZ's.

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Red9, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ADVDucs33

ADVDucs33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I came across this 1976 RD125 near me. The first owner bought it as a leftover in 1979, laid it down (softly) on the right side and quit riding.He rolled it into the shed, threw the key in the weeds and didn't touch it since. Fast forward to this year, his son is grown up, and also doesn't want it, so it was on craiglist.
    It has 63 miles on the clock, cleaned up ok, runs solid now, its all original, down to the blinker bulbs & fuzzy tires. Still has plastic film on some chrome parts. I wanted to ride the beast once I revived it, but the more I cleaned it, that much more I just wanted to let it remain a time capsule from the '70s. How many others are out there with less then 100 miles?
    Sorry the pic stinks, cell pic. I'll work at taking a nicer, crisper one over the weekend.
    [​IMG]
  2. refractor

refractor Kick Start Biker

Oddometer:
    This link is about the rebuild of my RD
    http://www.veloliner.com/rd350

I am an original owner of a 75 RD350 and an 83 RZ350. I street rode the RD for several years then road raced it in WERA. Later I bought my RZ from Ingles Cycle in London Ont and raced it for a couple of years.

Both have stock pipes and porting per racing rules at the time.
    My RZ has 26oo km on it.

I picked up this brochure in Eau Claire cycle in 1975.

http://veloliner.com/1975yamahastreet

3. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    What years were your WERA years ? We may have raced together. The grids were PACKED with RD's and LC's during my WERA years.

I remember a crazy old track called "Mid America" somwhere near Wentzville Missouri. 1982 I think. Rained hard, had frogs and turtles all over the track....rainsuit over my race leathers flapping like crazy, guys running wide and flat tracking through the grass, a kid lowsiding in front of me and having to thread the needle between his bike and a bright yellow rolling rainsuited kid ! :huh

Good times.....Good times.

[​IMG]
  4. refractor

refractor Kick Start Biker

Oddometer:
    It is possible that is me in the tan leathers and white helmet. I raced wentzville from 81-84. Was novice 281 in 81-82 and expert 18 for 83-4.

I remember one weekend there in 84. I had won the saturday heat races and thought that I could win on Sunday. Sunday morning a motorhome showed up and two RZs. Some skinny kid named Kevin Schwantz was riding one of them, they were gridded at the back.

He went around me so fast on lap two. ..... That is my story how I got second to a future world champion.

PM me.
  5. PJay

PJay Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer:
    1977 RD400 special at Paeroa street races, 1998. Very hard on the brakes for the hairpin. This thing made about 60rwhp, and I used to race TZs on it. Then I repeated my history of 20+ years before, and replaced the RD with a TZ.

[​IMG]

Observant people will have noted the RD250 heads on it - those big bowls of combustion chambers that standard RD400s have are really limiting.
  6. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:

Very, very cool ! :D

Yeah, the crazy stuff us little RD guys went through ! Once was in a endurance race at Gratten, tucked in for everything the RD was worth down the main straight......sat up to start braking only to hear the frantic sound of a liter superbike slamming downshifts behind me.........suddenly my outside elbow gets just barely dinked as the rider smokes past me about 30 MPH faster, winds it inside, and blasts outta sight in mere seconds........Team Hammer on the monster Suzuki on their way to a runaway overall victory !

We also were novice enough to use a $200 RD with stock footpegs for our first endurance race in '81 .........my buddy Rich just BARELY missed a trip to the E.R. to fix missing toes !!!! :eek1

[​IMG]
    klatelm and Combatscoot like this.
  7. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JIQ4pikDreA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I been racin' :D
  8. busa1300

busa1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    40K miles.
    [​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  10. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    The sound of two strokes on a sunday

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_MdExeimTOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Ray, got that bike singing a nice song!, :clap
    Cheers
    Baza
  12. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been a WERA Vintage racer since 1997. Here's a couple of mine. The RZ is undergoing a major rebuild. R6 front end and FZ600 rear.

Goofing at Tally with my brother

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My RD400

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. ridemtra

ridemtra single track

Oddometer:
  14. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Need help on the "RD" history...did the air cooled RD ever come with an electronic ignition?

The reason I ask is that I am considering finding a RD 250, 350, or 400 to go road racing with AHRMA and trying to figure out what year or years of the RD would be best.

Any and all advice appreciated...I am sort of clueless since my history is more with "dirt".

Thanks
  15. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    The Canadian 79 rd 400 Daytona had electronic ignition but the USA version was points

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk
  16. cbreakin

cbreakin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's mine, got her last winter, cleaned/rebuilt and threw her some new parts. The bike is so much fun in the SoCal canyons. For being 40 something years old and "old" tech the bike sure does ride and handle very well. She won't hang with modern supersports, but I've surprised more than a few retro looking triumphs and your odd less-skilled rider in modern machinery.

[​IMG]
  17. cbreakin

cbreakin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The above poster is correct, but you can easily add a modern charging system/digital ignition. I did the MZB set-up on mine. One of the best grades one can do given the relatively weak stock ignition. I don't know the rules of AHRMA but its allowed its definitely worth while.
  18. Damifino

Damifino Damn if I know Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here is my 79, its been sitting in the corner of my garage for at least 15 years, I finally put it up on the work stand and went through it, rebuilt all the master cylinders and calipers, fixed the undone wiring harness, put the right headlight on it (the po put a square one on it before I acquired it) Removed the stock carbs and throttle cable and replaced with a set of 78 carbs and cable, the original carbs are gunked up pretty good and the linkage was stuck, was easier to put a regular set on

I kept all the stock pieces for the emissions and carbs in a box if some one would ever want to go to 100% stock

My first street bike when I was 19 was a 79 RD400, it had been road raced and was pretty beat up, but I loved it, regretted selling for years, I've owned about 8 RD's over the years but always wanted another 79

I found this one for sale years ago, at least 15 maybe 20, I can't remember, I went to meet the seller of this fine, ready to ride piece, I was so disappointing that it was not in running condition, it had been in storage many years, but the cosmetics were great and it only had 7300 original miles. I walked away from the sale letting the seller know he misled me, I told him I didn't want it any price, I guess he was desperate, because once the price got down to $1100, I ended up taking it

[​IMG]
  19. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My RZ as she sits now. R6 front end, FZR600 rear with an F4i shock. She'll be together someday!

[​IMG]