Lets see your stealth camping pics (wild camping, dispersed camping, etc.)

Discussion in 'Photos' started by GravelRider, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Ya'll ever get the creeps or worried doing this? I really need to get over the fear of that. I know its dumb, but its there. I look at all these pictures and it looks so awesome. But I get there I'm all like...what if someone finds me or what the hell was that noise?

I'll be in upstate New York in a few weeks and would like to give this a shot.
    Hannda, Maggot12 and JagLite like this.
  2. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've heard of campers being snatched from their tents in campgrounds. I've pulled up in campgrounds with bear traps set up in one of the camping spots...…...Honestly, I feel a little safer away from campgrounds, in places I'm not expected to be. People are worse than bears! Bear spray(pepper spray) and a hand held air horn can be a great defense against both if needed!

I have a small can of bear spray that I can wear on my wrist and I just keep the air horn close.
  3. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    Outside Brevard, NC
    [​IMG]

This was directly behind my tent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mike
  4. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Extroverted Loner

Oddometer:
    South of Taos, NM
    [​IMG]
    Mike
    Angry Pete, ROADOG 62, Hannda and 6 others like this.
  5. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    Here are a few from various places
    20181103_171451.jpg 20190524_212249_resized_1.jpg 20190525_055837_resized_1.jpg 20160813_153115.jpg 20171110_094058.jpg 20180113_174145.jpg 20181103_161733.jpg 20190112_182803.jpg 20190725_180727.jpg 20190726_182417.jpg
    xnihilo, Manny U, Zeek- and 19 others like this.
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are a very thoughtful camper!

[​IMG]

You carry a waste basket around with you!
  7. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not dumb at all, some of it is uncertainty because you haven't done it alot but some of it can be gut feel. Go with your gut, God gave us an amazing brain and senses, better than any other animal, use em if it feels shady chances are it probably is especially in national forest or behind development areas. Shitheads love free camping just as much as we do if not more. If you ain't feelin it roll on a few more miles, if you're not gonna enjoy it and be stressed out what's the point go find somewhere else it's a big world.

I always carry a gun in case anyone decides to get truly stupid and test their luck. Animals are easily avoidable by hanging food and making noise, the 2 legged ones who like to stick needles in their arms or are at rock bottom and have nothing to lose in life are the real concern. Generally though if you carry yourself upright and aware like people don't want to fu$% with you they usually won't.
  8. MegaHz

MegaHz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190813_093012-01.jpeg
    Zeek-, knight, tjzondrz and 14 others like this.
  9. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
  10. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Manny U, Zeek-, knight and 11 others like this.
  11. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Dispersed/primitive camping is how I spend most nights off the bike. To me, a campground is only slightly better than a cheap motel. Just a few from over the years:

Along the SEAT
    [​IMG]

Along the MABDR
    [​IMG]

Near Linville Falls, NC
    [​IMG]

Montana, along the CDT
    [​IMG]

CDT, near Steamboat Springs, CO
    [​IMG]

CDT, New Mexico
    [​IMG]

Lockhart Basin, UT
    [​IMG]
    Manny U, Zeek-, knight and 15 others like this.
  12. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    After doing it a few times, that anxiety over the unknown (which is really what it is) goes away. It's actually quite exhilarating the first few times.

If I'm in a state where I can carry, I always have a gun with me. If I'm not, I carry bear spray (and also carry bear spray if I have a gun, as I'd rather use this).

Also keep food out of your tent. This keeps critters away.

Awesome! Where was the cave-looking site?
    JagLite likes this.
  13. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    I have been wild/primitive camping ever since I was a teenager, spending thousands of nights outside. Probably 50% of the time, I am solo. Over the years, I have spent more nights primitive camping than I have in hotels/motels (not counting business travel). In my younger days, it was out of necessity as I could not afford even a cheap motel. Over the past 10 years, it has been by choice. Once I had a bear wander into my camp at night and rummage through the campfire. Once, I had a pack of wild pigs outside my tent. And once I had a couple skunks very interested in my friend and I (they stole his shoes in the middle of the night). The wild pigs worried me far more than the bear or skunks.

Be aware of the wildlife in the area. If there are bears, don't bring anything into your tent that you can put in your mouth (including your toothbrush). If you are in the desert, shake out anything left outside the tent like shoes and boots since snakes, scorpions and spiders will use them as their own personal sleeping place.

The only time I have ever had any conflict with a human while camping was when I was in a developed BLM campsite and a bunch of asshat hippies thought it was appropriate to perform a drum circle until the sun came up. I was one of many campers that confronted them, and since they were a large group, we had to back down. This was in the days before everyone had cell phones, otherwise we would have just called in the Sheriff to confront them.

I have had far more sketchy situations when I have not been able to wild camp and have needed to get a cheap motel. Cheap motels are synonymous with shady folks.

I try to never "stealth" camp on private property, but have needed to resort to it about a half dozen times due to weather, darkness, or mechanical issues. When I have done it, I set up under the cover of darkness and leave as soon as the sun comes up, making sure to leave no trace.
    Manny U, glasshousebc, bomose and 3 others like this.
  14. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    That's my bath.
    bomose, MYUMPH, mikegc and 1 other person like this.
  15. gsweasel

gsweasel Just wanna see what's around that next bend...

Oddometer:
    2 weeks ago in Northern Ontario
    CA177CB5-7F7A-4AF2-8E8F-A153ECC07050.jpeg 7B6D4A3E-4B53-45A7-8FA9-2F02BE465725.jpeg
    Manny U, Zeek-, tjzondrz and 12 others like this.
  16. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
  17. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
  18. 04478

04478 Perishable: best if used before expiration date

Oddometer:
    First Connecticut Lake in northern New Hampshire. It is a day use only area. I missed the 'only' part. IMG_20140115_212814.JPG Maine public reserved land outside of Eustis. There is a sign that states no sleeping 'in' vehicles (emphasis mine). P_20180923_133320.jpg Had both places to myself.
    Zeek-, tjzondrz, GravelRider and 4 others like this.
  19. gsweasel

gsweasel Just wanna see what's around that next bend...

Oddometer:
    A coupla tiny ones still around when I walked inland, but nothing near the water. Never anything bad enough to need juice.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. Yeti2ride

Yeti2ride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JagLite and HickOnACrick like this.