Lets see your XT660R

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by EnduroAlexis, Dec 10, 2006.

1. AdventureCosta

AdventureCosta n00b

Oddometer:
  2. AdventureCosta

AdventureCosta n00b

Oddometer:
    420957_376287519048131_37008924_n.jpg

Colonial road between Brazil Parati
  3. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are WAY too expensive for what they are, and Yamaha is waiting for them to die... Which will happen soon as the XT660R/X do not have ABS. There is a redesign coming soon, and I hope that this time around you can't swap the engine cases with an old XT500.
  4. LuxVega

LuxVega Alpine Rider

Oddometer:
    Gracias mon amigo!

When it comes to the motor, i only changed the air filters (K&N inside, DNA instead of air box side panel) and the OTR exhaust system without catalyst. The lambda probe is replaced by the O2 sensor eliminator from OTR. But no power commander.

The performance is noticeably better and if I had to guess I'd say she has around 55 HP now, but I have no figures or tests whatsoever.
    But the fuel consumption has not increased. She consumes exactly as much as the unmodified bike of a friend of mine.

Besides that, the sound of the Akrapovic is just wonderful. You have to love these guys from Slovenia. Not too loud but growling and shooting :evil

That's a video i made at night:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH6DH9KpYrE
  5. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My bike has bmc filter, 2into1 exhaust drilled airbox al PCIII with custom fuel map.
    I'm thinking of that stage 2 filter, but I'm not sure about this because I use the bike everyday even in rain or mud. How does the stage2 goes with rain?

With your bolt-on mods I think that your bike is closer to 50bhp. And let me recommend you a PCIII and custom map! In my bike the custom map gave me 4bhp and better thortle control.:evil

Saludos!
  6. LuxVega

LuxVega Alpine Rider

Oddometer:
    <table id="post26865072" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_26865072" style="border-right: 1px solid #575757"> Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Racing2t [​IMG]
    My bike has bmc filter, 2into1 exhaust drilled airbox al PCIII with custom fuel map.
    I'm thinking of that stage 2 filter, but I'm not sure about this because I use the bike everyday even in rain or mud. How does the stage2 goes with rain?

With your bolt-on mods I think that your bike is closer to 50bhp. And let me recommend you a PCIII and custom map! In my bike the custom map gave me 4bhp and better thortle control.:evil

Saludos!

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Nice modding!

I'm riding my XT all year round with snow, salted roads and -5°C on some days in the winter as well as offroad travelling in rain and mud and never had any problems with the stage2 filter.

I mounted it last year as the first performance-related modification and it already improved performance and sound noticably.

I think the most concerning thing about it is that it can attract police officers, as it is not street-legal here in Austria.

I was thinking about the PowerCommander too, but it's just too expensive for a guy on a budget like me and my bike is also fine without it.
    Maybe you're right about the HP, anyways, it's enough to get along ;)

The money is definetely better spent on travelling imho :norton

Latest adventure from this weekend with the just arrived HeavyDuties pannier rack mounted:

[​IMG]

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-top: 0px"> [​IMG]
    </td> <td class="alt1" style="border: 1px solid #575757; border-left: 0px; border-top: 0px" align="right">

</td></tr></tbody></table>
    M.Medel likes this.
  7. Moyston

Moyston oh oo too fast!

Oddometer:
    its no Alps as a backdrop, but will do....:D
    [​IMG]
  8. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, In the way to improve my XT, last month I bought the OTR rally fairing. I´m a bit busy with my job, so I´m not going to mount it yet, anyway it is not a straightforward thing, I´ve find a few issues in the test assembly.

Here is the rally fairing, as you can see, is a bit tall, so I have to cut a bit of the bottom. If you compare it with the pics in the OTR web, you can see the difference. No big problem.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The other issue I´ve found today is that the holes in the headlight don´t match the others in the support bracket.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I´ve made the lower hole 4mm larger with a file to allow it to aling correctly.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The fairing attach to the bracket with silentblocks, but it seems the wrong size...

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

So I have work while I wait for the black side panels and the 18" rear wheel.
  9. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few photos of yesterday´s ride, 380km across Spain at 35º C:knary:knary:knary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Willybanjo likes this.
  10. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:

So yer building a better lighter Tenere....
  11. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :evil yeees, I´m going to show mr. Yamaha how it's done hehehe

Today after a short ride to visit my parents, I made a second test with the OTR fairing, with the same luck as yesterday, none.

Offtheroad, how the hell am I supposed to tighten this?? Too large... :eek1

[​IMG]

Tomorrow I´ll visit my local hardware store.

Anyway I mounted the brackets provisionally to see how it looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After a couple of days trying to fit the rally screen, I did it. There were several things to look before cutting or drill the fiberglass, the height of the fairing (to see correctly above it), the position of the indicators and lights... I had to make the brackets to fit the speedo with aluminium and still have to make another one to fit the 12V socket and temp gauge.
    Anyway, this morning was the first test!
    [​IMG]
  13. AlexeiRussia

AlexeiRussia n00b

Oddometer:
    I have this screen too. Yes, clamp is too long. I cut it and do a new screw-thread.

Question to all. Please, give me advice.
    I want do fork conversion and thinking about use WP usd fork. I'm thinking about fork from ktm 690 enduro, but i can't find it on e-bay. But i found a lot of ktm 690 smc fork. How do you think, it's normal choose? What difference between fork ktm 690 enduro and smc? Normally use supermotard fork on enduro?
    Thanks.
  14. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you use your bike off-road, I wouldn´t choose the SMC forks, mostly because the front wheel axle is centered, not advanced like other offroad forks. This give you better stability in rough surfaces.
    With the 48mm Kayaba forks and triple clamps you need to change the steering stem, the top bearing and make a spacer.

P.S. Any photo of your XT with the fairing??
  15. AlexeiRussia

AlexeiRussia n00b

Oddometer:
    Yep, i already buy Kayaba USD fork, but for now, there is some trouble with shipping :(

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Willybanjo likes this.
  16. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done. You can also mount your acerbis mudguard in the Kayaba, the holes are in the same position as in the XT.
  17. Racing2t

Racing2t Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Tharaphita

Tharaphita Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Midday ride to clear mind. Bike is pretty stock, looking for reasonable 2in1 quiet like exhaust atm. =) My first offroad bike hehe.

DSC_0039.JPG
  19. AlexeiRussia

AlexeiRussia n00b

Oddometer:
    I think 2in1 exhaust is most useful modification. Greatly reduces weight and increases clearance.
    Tharaphita likes this.
  20. Tharaphita

Tharaphita Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you suggest something besides Akra and OTR? Thnx