Lets Take a Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Platypus-3in1, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Not the end of the series just where my eyes fell on the Helmet Cam footage ... I take a lot of notes with this camera. It has a Hot Record option where I see a road I want to inspect later at home with Satellite Imagery (I always forget the names latter). So, I turn on the camera, say what I need to remember and turn it off real quick. In edit I have these 2 minute sections all over the place and each one is a little gold nugget.

2. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    THE DREADED SLIPPERY CREEK

3. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    BEST LAID PLANS OF MICE AND MEN ... Well, Shanna’s bike went heavy without being able to start it. Counting from there our DIRT roads that we were scouting became denials! (all but one for the day) ... First denial had a chain across the road deep into in the woods (turn around). The second denial was the same with a metal gate a mile in (turn around). The third dirt road was steep, long, grown over all the way to the top and was full of hunting blinds & tree stands meaning this October when we come thru with a group the hunters will all be in those stands waiving at us as we pass thru (nope, turn around). The fourth dirt road to scout out we didn’t even get to taste any of it as the two "No Trespassing Signs" looked ominous with one of those gut feelings (turn around) ... Me, I was bummed out about the ride most of the day but after I got home and started thinking about this whole awful scouting excursion - It dawned on me that I actually “HAD FUN!” Whats that saying, a bad day riding is a good day any day! ... I love this sport!

4. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
  5. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    There should be a country song named: TURN AROUND WERE GOING THE WRONG WAY AGAIN

This is not Jon's and my first "Group Ride" we've put on but it is our first one where we have a 200 person limit on it (WHAT!)

Didn't plan it out that way! It just unfolded like that! Putting this ride together for our small group, I quickly realized there is no way we can do this in a day or even a weekend. As we scouted it out, it quickly became apparent we would need four full days to ride it with time to stop and enjoy all the aspects of the day and the sights.

This sport just grows your family doesn't it? Calling and setting up 4 campgrounds that can accommodate up to 200 people by itself has certainly extended mine!
    Mom & Pop's, Husband & Wives trying to make it with their small businesses all while this CRAZY covidness is making people act like sheep following a really stupid shepherd.

They are "SO" happy to have us coming to their campgrounds and these people are not strangers to our sport either! Shoot, we're riding on the dirt roads that they grew up riding!
    Talking with them, going out to meet em and see the campgrounds, they just became new members in my family now! ... Pretty Cool Stuff it's all brought to us by Dual Sport Motorcycle Riding!

Anyhoot ... I hope its OK to post this plug here, I just opened a Thread over on RALLIES called FESTIVAL OF TENTS go check it out, come on lets take a ride

You know whats really cool? Back in 06, 07, 08 I was glued to ADVrider like a kid that just discovered this sport and couldn't get enough ... Even while riding, I wanted to ride and after the ride, I wanted to go ride again! (you know what I'm talking about!)

Well, all during that time, I also dreamed of one day being able to bring something worthy to ADVrider to share back with everybody ... I think this is it!
    slime likes this.
  6. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Mofo Flake likes this.
  7. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
  8. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Never been on this road so slow was the call.

Went back after re-working the tracks and I am pleased with it, FUN route!

Mofo Flake likes this.
  9. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
  10. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    CHIRT road

Mofo Flake likes this.
  11. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    This is NOT for me on my 1090
    Cap't Jon is working on our second Group Ride that we are planning on sharing ...
    I'll be sitting this one out and taking the more Adventure Route sections that day

Mofo Flake likes this.
  12. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    I'm getting pretty pumped about this upcoming ride. Going on a ride is cool! Setting up a Group Ride together with your friends has more responsibilities and yet it is even more cool! Setting up a ride event where you have all kinds of people coming for the first time is something I can't even put into words right now.

I'm pumped tho, ready to ride!

[​IMG]

PLUS already working on a second one ... what!
    Mofo Flake and From Scratch like this.
  13. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mofo Flake likes this.
  14. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    ONE WAY
    "Gravity Works"

Mofo Flake likes this.
  15. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Smooth Sailing

Mofo Flake likes this.
  16. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    This has been a crazy year but after putting this video together I've actually gotten to ride a lot more than I realized! Funny how that works out that its never enough! Gotta ride MORE!

Mofo Flake likes this.
  17. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I put this together as a gift to the DS Community. Specifically with the bigger displacement bikes in mind. For the most part, these are Well Maintained Graded Dirt Roads that parallel HWY's connecting small towns across the Mid-South. It's more of a Scenic Touring Ride than anything else! The focus is on Rural Country Dirt Roads and the FS Dirt Roads in between.

As I'm writing this NOBODY has ridden it yet! As a community I am asking that we make it a great ride by sharing our discovered information about it. Let me know what you find and I'll make changes as the Journey unfolds. (I'm getting feedback on FB Lets Take a Ride Group / letstakearide.com and ADV Rider) I'll be printing up some maps for those who want to carry them along with information thats not readily available to offline mapping apps or for those unexpected electronic failures.
    Enjoy the Ride! Share the Ride! Lets Take a Ride!

Map lines indicate 1,862 miles ... We'll See LOL
    Mofo Flake and Emgo like this.
  18. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Emgo and Mofo Flake like this.
  19. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    There is a straight away (carrying speed) to a rise. When you crest the hill thats when you see an immediate turn! ... You can see a lot of people skidded off the road right here ... I came very close but somehow didn't fixate on the direction I was skidding towards. This time I managed to look up the road thru the turn. Yep, the back end broke free but looking where I wanted to go saved me. ADVENTURE!

Mofo Flake likes this.
  20. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    ADV