Lets Take a Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Platypus-3in1, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    BOOM - feels like a major achievement to have planned, scouted, hosted, filmed, edited and finally posted the video.
    Feels like I'm free to go to the next thing
    (which is in 2 days the Cumberland Plateau South Big ADV Bike Ride).
    I actually caught myself wishing I was bored this afternoon LOL

Thanks to everyone who helped (helping) and came out to support building it!

Emgo and ADK like this.
  2. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Cumberland Plateau South was just what I needed.
    Every now and then on a long ride, one long enough to take you past everything you are thinking about & carrying. It happens and you can't share it, can't even describe it.

Canyon Man likes this.
  3. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:

Upcoming Ride In A Few Days ... I'm Pumped!
  4. Canyon Man

Canyon Man "60% of the time, it works every time" Mr. Fantana

Oddometer:
    Well said Sir!
    Platypus-3in1 likes this.
  5. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

OK, I went into Mississippi this last Friday and Officially Began the process of scouting of the great G.R.A.T. What a day! I began just south of Nashville and spent the whole day scouting. My day ended at 1:30AM into the next day. I got about four hours of sleep then I was up scouting again Saturday!

Really Cool Things happened unexpectedly. I stopped at a hamburger joint and met the owner. He and I sat out back and talked for about an hour. Turns out some of the TAT riders stop there and take pictures. He had met Sam ( https://www.transamtrail.com/ ) about two years back. Sam had offered to allow them to use his LOGO for the riders coming thru on a sign letting us know we are catered to here. I plugged Sam & the TAT with Sam and everyone who rides in mind. I can't share his plans for us as this was a private conversation but Good Things Might Just Come!

He is strongly considering creating a spot on his property for riders to camp for the night. I shared with him things I've learned putting on these AMA Sanctioned Rides in what makes things more appreciable to the riders. He said he will look into it and might spend some money on just a few little things for us that make HUGE differences on a cross country ride.
    Sam if you happen to read this thread: He is going to research your site, ADVrider threads & possibly bring in a Landscaper + General Contractor to give him a bid and ideas on how to set it all up. He was already looking into doing some work there but after talking with him about the TAT riders ... Well, once he gets his ducks in a row he's gonna give you a call.

Emgo likes this.
  6. Thunderbutt

Thunderbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great idea! Over on The Brit Bike Forum European riders often post of rides they do ending up at pubs/restaurants,. The pubs will often let the riders camp out on the property. I always wondered why there wasn't more of this here in the states, especially along the TAT, MABDR, etc.
  7. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Good Question ... I wonder if it has to do with the micro availability of land in Europe. Working with less forces one to think outside the box to maximize the space of said box. Riding around this region everything is spread out so much that it seems people here focus on (promote) their singular passion in business. I get it on my lazy side, the less things I have to juggle the better. Just recently, I got caught up on all the rides (event responsibilities) and was able to enjoy not having anything to carry & just ride for the FUN of the ride. Those moments of what was I thinking, I need to drop everything and just ride my motorcycle. Thinking about it brings up thoughts like: I don't want to add a sleepover in my backyard and have to deal with someone angry that the toilet paper got damp because of yesterdays heavy humidity LOL
  8. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
  9. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Introducing: RUDY THE RED TAILED HAWK
    (Hopefully a Success Story)

Daniel Eugene "Rudy" Ruettiger (born August 22, 1948) is a motivational speaker and author who played college football at the University of Notre Dame. His early life and career at Notre Dame were the inspiration for the 1993 film Rudy.

10. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    NEXT RIDE: If you guys are close this is a ride you might enjoy this weekend. I'm heading down tomorrow and I'm pumped!
    I Wanna Ride!

Mofo Flake likes this.
  11. Mofo Flake

Mofo Flake Incompetent off-road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been at the bottom of that river before!
  12. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Disney Land as a kid is pretty cool but getting out and taking a ride in awesome places with amazing people is WAY BETTER!

I had a NICE weekend down at Giorgio's property and then the last day meeting Capt'Jon back in TN for some secret roads he's been working on.

Emgo and norton73 like this.
  13. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Back to the GRAT
    I re-wrote the tracks as Corinth has just too much pavement for my liking. I took the tracks South but that was not as good as through.
    Its and ADVENTURE right!
    So,
    I've re-worked the tracks to go over the top now.
    Next ride may be in the Fall as the South is about to get HOT.
    One thing I've imagined is this loop could be a great latter month or even winter ride while people have that short window in the summer to get over the Continental Divide using the TAT.

14. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    Discovery, exploration comes in many forms through every aspect of this sport, which is pretty cool indeed!
    Many are obvious. Often they are in the prep for buying stuff like riding gear. What do I need, what will work, my build, riding style, this heat. How do I get it right the first time without adding to the growing collection in the garage.

Action Cameras: SONY AS-300 that choice was easy, one and done!
    When I began filming we had GoPro4's and SONY AS-50's.
    GoPro every year upped their game but NEVER earned my money.
    FOV too small, Digital Stabilization not true to life, square cropping with warped edges.
    SONY on the other hand had a Hot Record Button a Mechanical Gimbal internally which was way better to my eye than Digital Cropping.

BOOM was the rumble. GoPro 9 Black with the Max Lens is the FIRST GoPro I have ever bought. Used it for the first time yesterday & WOW!
    BOOM was the effect. FOV is amazing, Colors in Pro-Tune-Settings "FLAT" are still every bit GoPro but WOW the Tennessee greens really POP!

I was looking to upgrade to the SONY 3000 and could not find them. I went to the SONY site to buy direct and the Action Camera's aren't even listed there for sale.
    WHAT HAPPENED!
    I was bummed to have to buy a GoPro (Ford's are Better than Chevy - no - Chevy is better than Ford).
    So, being the first GoPro, might as well begin with the best they have to offer and grow with them from there.

NINE' and of course give me the MAX LENS which is still less FOV than the SONY had.
    BOOM was the moment it hit me in edit. GoPro is really AWESOME! Great job GoPro, you've earned my business.
    I LIKE IT!

Emgo likes this.
  15. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    It's JUNE & HOT
    Had to get out and ride tho!

I figured if I went early and got back by 12 noon I'd be good.
    Went To Newsom's Mill to see if I could catch a fish.

It was a Good Day!

16. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    TENNESSEE is a Great Place

I am often amazed coming around the next corner here. Doing so on a bike just makes it that much better!

[​IMG]

Taken for granted. We all do it, can't be helped. You live someplace and you've seen it. TN is really good at slapping me at unexpected moments to say STOP, don't you see me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In a car, its easiest to take for granted. On a bike something changes. You're not a thousand miles away in your thoughts. You are actually paying attention. To Everything!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TENNESSEE. I have lived in California, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida, Wisconsin, New York, Virginia and none have pulled me away.

[​IMG]

Lets Take a Ride! There is just so much involved in that.

[​IMG]

Plan it out the day before.

[​IMG]

Get on Maps and research something to do, someplace to go.

[​IMG]

It's not the shortest route but the best route you can imagine to see something you've never seen before.

[​IMG]

In a car I hardly notice the art in engineering.

[​IMG]

I don't see the the rivets highway-men heated to a glow then pneumatically mushroomed into place on a country bridge.

[​IMG]

In a car Kudzu covering trees & landscapes seems sad sight but on a bike it becomes something different.

[​IMG]

A road no longer is a way to get someplace but rather the place you set out to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not catching a fish on a fishing trip & it's a great day fishing because your ride home on a bike in TENNESSEE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helmet time with no time for work.

[​IMG]

I am already planning my next trip!

Lets Take a Ride in Tennessee and bring a pole.
    BigDogRaven, Emgo and popscycle like this.
  17. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    WHERE DID ALL THE FISH GO!
    lol

18. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Two fishing trips on the bike now and zero fish caught!

[​IMG]

It is about to get personal.

[​IMG]

I keep telling myself it doesn't matter if I catch a fish or not.

[​IMG]

Problem is I'm beginning to doubt that I believe what I'm telling myself.

[​IMG]

I mean, I get to take a ride and that should be enough right?

[​IMG]

Yep, I'm going back to CATCH a fish!

[​IMG]

Up till now I figure I was going fishing and the definition of fishing does not necessarily mean catching

[​IMG]

So next time I'm going catching ... LOL

[​IMG]

Oh yea, I did find this old first Gen KLR abandoned out here ... Legend!
    [​IMG]
    Mofo Flake, Emgo and BigDogRaven like this.
  19. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Went for a ride,

[​IMG]

to find a few fishing holes and catch a fish.

[​IMG]

or two. This is my third moto-fishing trip since the idea hit me to break out the pole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The official score is now Fish- 3 David-0
    Moto Fishing with plastics has effectively turned the table in favor for the MINNOW!

[​IMG]

What a cool barn! This guy had money, smarts and time. The ventilation under the roof line pulls moisture off the stored hay. The ventilated hay loft door (front center) creates an effective vortex effect in there. The siding is not what you see on barns but on houses. Whoever that guy was, Nice Job!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Platypus-3in1

Platypus-3in1 Looksee's

Oddometer:
    4th Trip and I've now got family members pulling for me to catch a fish.