Let's talk older japanese cruisers.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by RustyStuff, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Adventurer.

Adventurer. Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    IMG_0703.jpg

My 1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750 UJM which I completed an IBA SS1000 on.
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend took one to Daytona the first year we went down. Trailer had a wheel break and we had no spare, so it got parked in South Carolina and we rode the bikes and took the van the rest of the way. The Suzuki Intruder proved how it got its name for us on that trip. The back edge of the seat intruded on your tail bone. Hurt like heck. Plus the comparison was my bare GL1100 Wing. You can guess which was the preferred bike for riding. Riding the Wing changed my one friend's attitude about Wings. Said he'd never badmouth another one after riding some longer miles on my old 83.
    AZbiker likes this.
  3. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Never liked them, or at least none that I've ridden. Just don't like the way they ride. Thankfully I never had to purchase one to make that particularly unpleasant discovery.
  4. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a suzuki bandit and CB650. So I'm good on Ujm's for a while.
    AZbiker, Adventurer. and Oilhed like this.
  5. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apologies... you are correct.

I edited my original post accordingly.
    2000RSV likes this.
  6. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Is that a first gen NAVA helmet, a Members Only jacket (with mandatory rolled up sleeves) and an Opel GT? :brow
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, all mine, including the Opel GT, in 1982.
    phreakingeek likes this.
  8. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Holy early '80s greatness!
    *Those beige PUMAs are also worth a mention....
    phreakingeek and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    A year later I had a new bike, still an Opel (different one), and a Shaggin Wagon!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Niiiiiiiiiice!
    Yammy XJ650 Turbo with a Foxy chick and a Ford Econoline ('66?) with some Medieval Knight/Unicorn (did you play D&D?) shit going on!
    We must be about the same age for sure. :thumb
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    I actually did play D&D as a teen, though at that point in 1983, I was trying to un-nerd myself, and was more into women and song. I was in the military then.
    MFP likes this.
  12. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Back in the day some girls actually dug D&D especially if they were an Elfin Queen or a Fair Maiden.
    D&D is what got me into ELP and Yes, but by Soph year in HS I ditched D&D but to this day I still love me some proper English Prog rock!
  13. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Funny you say that, and sorry for the detour on the thread, but I was expelled from school for playing D&D in the auditorium with some friends, and a girl I liked, when her BF came into the catwalk where we were playing, and started a fight because he was jealous! Oh well, even the nerds get in trouble on occasion!
    [​IMG]
  14. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    I will bring this thread back on track....
    Yamaha VMAX:
    'Nuff said!
    [​IMG]
    Oilhed, MCGMB, AZbiker and 4 others like this.
  15. ilmothefinn

ilmothefinn Last snail in the coffin

Oddometer:
    I have always liked the V-Max but how come they spoiled the looks with the new one?

Same thing happened with MT-01 I had great expectations but it was some kind of a disappointment (but the sound could be good!).
    Oilhed and AZbiker like this.
  16. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had an '86 V-Max. The engine is fantastic, it looks cool, but the chassis and running gear...well, it rides like what it is, basically an 80's UJM with shaft drive and 110 rwhp, things get exciting REALLY fast. Fuel filler is a pain in the ass, even more so with a Corbin seat on it. But, oh that engine, especially with a good sounding exhaust.... IMG_20200322_023651943.jpg IMG_20200322_023716548.jpg
    AZbiker, racer1735, MFP and 1 other person like this.
  17. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've always thought the vmax looked more modern than it was styling wise. Kinda like a lest pointy version of 20teens naked bikes.
    MFP likes this.
  18. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steer clear from the very early Viragos. 81-83 750s and 900s. They're an absolute blast, but the ignition computers are not long for this world. There's not to my knowledge an aftermarket replacement yet, though you may be able to make an ignetech or rae-san work.

If you want midsized, skip the Shadow 750 and go with the suzuki Volusia 800 (later badged as the C50) instead. More horsepower and shaft drive. The Shadow 750 is reliable, but extremely under-powered. It had a bunch of decidedly odd styling choices over the years. The only one I liked was the Ace 750. The Spirit looked weird with the skinny tire and the swooped fenders on the Aero were stupid.

As much as I like the original V65 Magnas from the 80s, they're unreliable (especially the transmissions) and parts are unobtainium. The later Magna 750 is a great bike though, stylish and a real sleeper. All the kinks worked out of that model, as it uses a derivative of the VFR motor.

If I were in the mood for an 80s cruiser, it would be an Eliminator 900.
    If I were in the mood for something more modern, it'd be the Yamaha Roadstar Warrior. Aluminum frame, USD forks, sportbike tires, dual rotors, cornering clearance, and adjustable footpegs.
    the suzuki M90 is a fun performer. A few ponies less than the warrior, but a few pounds less too. None of the fancy go-fast and handle-well parts that the yamaha has tho.
    The M50 is a bit smaller but still has decent power and good looks.

Now... hear me out on this last one... The Hyosung Aquila.
    You can buy them for a song. They have a 75hp SV650-derived motor. That's a shitton of power in a tiny lightweight engine. USD forks, EFI in the later models, plenty of ground clearance... and ... erm... questionable looks. But the price for the performance you get is pretty damn good.

Edit: Here's a leftover 2015, still brand new, for $4900: https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2015-Hyosung-GV650---Aquila-Pro-5008970657

Charles.
    Donkey Hotey likes this.
  19. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    You shut your mouth! :lol3 I've been trying to simultaneously talk myself into and out of this since the ad was ten minutes old:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mpo/d/playa-vista-suzuki-c/7224575436.html

The front and rear fenders have been cut, it doesn't run, it's less than a mile from the ocean and I can't warm up to anything about the styling or performance. OTOH, it's orphaned and so cheap, who cares?
    spokester and ChopperCharles like this.
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shit for that price you can sell the tins on eBay and come out ahead, with a whole bike left to part out.

Charles.