Let's talk Rekluse RadiusX Auto-Clutch on the KTM 790 ADV

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 22, 2019.

1. DZL850

DZL850 DZL850 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run the Rekluse on my 300 2T. I found that going to the silver springs helped a lot with the way I want the clutch to engage. I don't know if Rekluse still suggests using Rotella T 5w40 and I am not advocating doing so in the 790, but that also helps with the 300.
    I tried a Rekluse in my old 990, but ended up removing it. But that is more a matter of the way the FI worked like an on/off switch. A whole other story which I eventually pretty well cured with TuneECU.
  2. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    That's where mine sits.
  3. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the torque specs on the pressure plate spring bolts, and clutch cover?

Thanks.
  4. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    10 Newton meters...

Clutch is installed. Works as intended. Not sure what I think yet. Certainly won't ever stall now. :p
    No-Fret and BHoward like this.
  5. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, 790 lovers, anyone have the pros and cons of the auto-clutch on a 790? Just curious and looking at swapping out clutch pack at some point.

Much appreciated.
  6. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have about 7000km on my Rekluse so far and love it.
    Pros are no stalling, combined with quick shifter I hardly touch my clutch. It does everything that it claims.

Cons are the clutch pull is quite a bit stiffer than original, I did have a camel clutch arm but couldn’t get it to work with the Rekluse. It may just have been that I was trying to set free play and with the Rekluse there is no free play.
    Some times when stopped there is a slight pulsing and with the noisy chain it can make a disconcerting noise. pulling away very slowly can be a bit jumpy but as with the pulsing this is mostly when cold. Other inmates have added some extra oil and claim it has solved both these issues. I haven’t added any extra oil and honestly both are only minor issues that are only a bit scary when you first hear them. You can’t put the bike in gear to stop it from rolling away. When using engine braking on a down hill if the revs drop to low it free wheels, a blip of the throttle solves the free wheeling.

If I was starting over I would definitely fit the Rekluse again. I love mine.
  7. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Good info thanks.

I don't have QS so does that mean using clutch for shifting is required or does the auto go through gears as you accelerate as advertised. How smooth are the gear changes?

I also have a DCT NC750X and it supersmooth through auto gear changes.
  8. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    For what it’s worth, when I installed my Rekluse I moved the cable to the middle hole on the Camel arm, instead of the farthest hole where I had it before. It just seemed to me to be a better idea with the Rekluse, and I have had zero issues with getting it adjusted.
  9. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    It is possible to change gears without using the clutch but you will need to blip the throttle etc. when changing gears.
    Depending on which camp you are in some bikes apparently have quick shifter installed and you need quick shifter + to turn it off.
    The Rekluse is a auto clutch not gearbox and does not change gears for you, sorry if I misunderstood your comment about going through the gears as you accelerate but it seems that you believe gear changes will be automatic. Gear changes with quick shifter are pretty smooth except between first and second.

Thanx for the info Dave. I suspected it would work but during the install the camel arm was hitting the tank so I just put the original arm back and did the set up like that.
    No-Fret likes this.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a game changer, and will be the first thing I put on any bike in the future as well.

It makes difficult sections a breeze and almost feels like cheating. You will never regret having one on BDR type routes.

If you mostly ride pavement or gravel roads, it's probably not every going to show it's value to you.

Oh one last thing we just discovered on the NEBDR, it's great having a rekluse when you're trying to drink your coffee and ride at the same time too! :D

Just use your clutch like you normally would, and you'll look like an expert everytime. Then when things gets tricky, you'll have that extra insurance to help you through anything more difficult than you can handle.

I wish they would start paving roads with rock gardens... The nastier the better, and the rekluse delivers in spades.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only ridden a bike with a Rekcluse auto-clutch one time on some trails near me and I gotta say - I just don't get it. I had a LOT more fun on a demo Alta dirt bike that was availible to ride that weekend.

The Rekluse slips and locks up based on some load/rpm formula that is fixed, though tunable, as I understand it. In my short time on a 350XC-F that had one installed I still found myself slipping the clutch or downshifting rather than accepting when the RecKluse was going to kick in. Maybe more seat time would have changed my mind. How much and when I want clutch slip varies a lot depending on the situation. With the Rekluse that just meant I was over riding it with the clutch lever anyway. *shrug* All good though. We like what we like. :)
  12. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    About the only time I'm slipping the clutch on a BDR ride is after a stall-out (not necessarily an engine stall, just forward momentum stall) on steep uphill expert sections. At that point, its a very short slip, since I really want to get on the pegs and into 2nd (my comfort zone for gnar) as fast as I can. If I keep on the throttle and hit the right gear, with my 15T front I don't see any situations where the rekluse comes into play.

My 350 did come with one, which is what my son is learning to ride on, so I know what they are like.

Personally, I prefer the ability to hold on a hill in gear when starting up.
    No-Fret likes this.
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It also UN-locks at a specific load/rpm.... usually when you don't want it too hahaha....

This guy won't use one again... skip to 5:20 haaha
    MeVoGTC and CaseyB like this.
  14. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Ok, makes sense now. I only ride dirt a couple weeks a year but lots of road time (790S).
  15. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do you know that bike had a Rekluse clutch and why do you think it had an effect on the crash?
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  16. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    Don’t see how that was caused by a Rekluse, perhaps Nowwhat should change his name to Knowall. :y0!
    Graniteone likes this.
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    He mentioned it in the post crash discussion.. it engaged when he wasn't expecting it to...
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is what happens when we get too used to a device keeping us out of trouble IMHO. We can loose certain automatic ingrained reactions. The rider had likely gotten used to the Rekluse disengaging at low rpms so he didn't pull the clutch when he got out of sorts and found himself pointed towards the abyss. A brief moment of bump induced whisky throttle later... That shyt is scary to watch and gives me the willies. :(
    MeVoGTC and Nowwhat like this.
  19. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a link to that?
  20. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're not supposed to treat it like an automatic/DCT... You use your clutch like you normally would, and it helps out when it's needed.

If you're an expert, you'll never use it... But for those of us who are human, it's an invaluable tool.

I ride with professional riders, and they all swear by the rekluse. Not a single one of them needs it, but they still love it.

I wouldn't let forum members influence your decision one way or another, try it for yourself, then decide.
    No-Fret likes this.