Let's talk Rekluse RadiusX Auto-Clutch on the KTM 790 ADV

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 22, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think @windblown101 is making the point that, although "You're not supposed to treat it like an automatic/DCT... You use your clutch like you normally would"

If you have one and its what you predominantly ride offroad with, you WILL eventually retrain yourself to optimize your habits to suit the bike/rekluse. Its just how we humanoids function. Some even call that learning. If you don't ever have to pull in the clutch as you slow to a stop, and it makes riding easier, you will eventually abandon the automatic reaction of clutching as you slow to a stop, even if you keep it as a tool your conscious mind has access to.
    windblown101 likes this.
  2. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll quickly change that habit when you burn up your clutch. If you leave it so you can sit there without pulling in the clutch, and not causing damage... You'll get slip in high rpm's.

You have to dial it in to make it work properly... And you won't be riding it without using your clutch (like a scooter) if you set it up correctly.
    chrislitt likes this.
  3. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know - I have one. I am not talking about clutching while moving and shifting between gears, I'm talking about clutching while stationary. Do you really hold in the lever when the throttle is at idle and you are checking your GPS? I somehow doubt that.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kubcat, no I don't. We're on the same page.

Thx
    kubcat likes this.
  6. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a possible friend saying "Rekluse" suggests it may have had some effect in the crash?
  7. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    How Can I help you?...What do you want?

The crash was a hot topic for a second...there are numerous threads on it... The rider was riding without covering the clutch as the bike had a rekluse...bump equaled blip which equaled cliff dive.... not here to convince you of anything....

not the first bike to squirt away won't be the last....
    spaceman_spiff likes this.
  8. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    That's good that you are not trying to convince anyone of anything in this thread about Rekluse clutches.

If you had a video where a bike lost momemtum on a climb and then rolled backwards out of control because the Rekluse clutch didn't hold or stall the bike, that would make sense to blame the function of the clutch. But if you blip the throttle of any bike that's in gear pointed at the edge of a cliff, it is going over no matter what type of clutch or transmission it has. To imply it was the fault of the type of clutch in the bike for that event is deceitful.
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  9. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rider error is what caused that accident not the Rekluse clutch. I have one installed on my 690 and ride the piss out of it and I know how to use a clutch. Rekluse clutch is just another rider aid to be used when needed. Will I install one on my 790R, not sure yet. Still getting the bike dialed in to my liking. 5K miles on it now and it is starting to feel pretty good. A left hand rear brake is nice additional companion to having a Rekluse clutch in my opinion.
    BHoward likes this.
  10. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I'll try one more time....

no rekluse and he would have been covering the clutch.......
  11. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Yes, assuming that he had good skills/technique. I see people without a Rekluse not covering the clutch too! I actually tend to cover the clutch even with a Rekluse because I'mm older than dirt and rode forever without one. That is, until my tongue is hanging out of my mouth and I wouldn't be covering it with or without a Rekluse!
    BHoward, Jarrett2 and Thumper Dumper like this.
  12. Jarrett2

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. No reason to blame the tech.
  13. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to admit, that the concept of covering the clutch all the time is not a habit I have mastered. Driving motorcycles only on roads for the last 26 years, it hadn’t been an issue. After my first exposure to the MABDR, specifically water crossings; I’ve learned my lesson and cover the clutch all the time. As someone else mentioned, we seem to adapt ourselves to the constants of our machines. My MSF instructors are always talking about the guy whose been riding for years, just coming to do it with his wife, always have bad habits.

I guess my thoughts are if this guy was an experienced road guy(which was mentioned somewhere) With not so much off-road experience; than he may have been less likely to not have had his clutch covered if he didn’t have the auto clutch, and vise versa....

But in the end, I wasn’t there....
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    So from a story about a guy we don't know, to my personal circumstances...
    I have a 350 with a rekluse and a stock 790R. Lately I have been able to get my son to come along on rides with me so he rides the 350. He is 24 and does not have a lot of experience riding. He has ridden a v-strom 650 on roads and rough seasonal gravel for 3 seasons, and last year began riding the 350. He has taken a basic dirt/adv training class on the 350, and has ridden a total of maybe 10 days that included some really tough (for my 790) Vermont class IV.

The upside is that he has really been bitten by the ADV/dual sport bug and looks like he is a rider for life. That means he is now considering what kind of bike he will soon buy. Since he can't afford more than one additional bike, and he hates the long road butt pain, He will likely consider something more challenging to ride in the dirt than the 350, but more comfy and stylish on the street (the girls, you know).

Here's my concern - that he will NOT be quickly able to transfer over his riding abilities from the rekluse 350 to another bike with a standard clutch. What do you guys think?
  15. billiards101

billiards101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Managed to burn up my Rekluse on a 2019 790R while riding the Continental Divide in New Mexico a couple weeks ago.
    Have or had Rekluse's in my 350 exc, 2 500 exc's, a 690R and now the 790 so familiar with installation and free play gain setup. In this situation free play gain was good in the morning, though-out the day we hit a bit of mud, nothing serious until around 6pm we were 20 miles north of Grant, NM and got into some thick plug your wheels up muck.
    My settings at the time were Rally slip of 5, offroad throttle and offroad ABS after about 20-30 minutes clutch was gone and could not be adjusted where the bike was rideable. My riding partner was on 2020 790R with factory clutch and his went out of adjustment but rideable exept for a dead battery.
    We ended up walking out in the rain, 40 degrees, dark and windy to an abandon cattle yard we had passed a couple miles back. No phone service, but we both had inreach. My riding buddy's wife, worried, ended up contacting the state police, who were awesome and went above and beyond to help us. They arrived in an hour or so to give us a lift to Grant, NM.
    I called Rekluse the next day, who were great as usual, and they warranteed me out a torq drive replacement which was an easy parking lot install the next day.
    I'm a big fan of Rekluse clutches, but probably will stay away from them on the 790. Seems to be a lot going on with the slipper mechanism, MTC, Rally mode and Auto clutches especially in the really thick mud. I have a feeling if I would have exited rally mode and turned off MTC I may have faired a bit better.
    Anyways, just wanted to relate my experience. Hope everyone is enjoying some great Fall riding!
    grace likes this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Put a rekluse in the next bike?
  17. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let him make his own decisions as an adult?
  18. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    If he’s anything like my kid, he’d be a lot better off if he turned all decisions over to me!
    CaseyB likes this.
  19. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha touche
  20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t know if my 790 will get a Rekluse, but since I switched to Rekluse a while back I won’t have another dirt bike without it as long as I’m still able to race. I also won’t use a Rekluse without a good LHRB and I’ve tried them all (Rekluse, Ox, Smokn, Two different Clakes) and found the Clake SLR matched to the Rekluse is the easiest pulling and strongest performing LHRB on the market right now. Jury is still out for me on putting a Rekluse on my 790, but I hate the inconsistent clutch engagement on the 790 in the technical stuff. It’s horrible imo and needs attention above bolt on cable mods.