Let's talk Rekluse RadiusX Auto-Clutch on the KTM 790 ADV

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by TrailTrauma, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Jarrett2

Jarrett2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rekluse auto clutch on my 790 was crap. The dealer that installed it warned me against it, but I didn't listen.

I wouldn't install one on that bike if I had it to do over. The next owner of the bike removed it, I think.

Completely different feel from my FE 450 with hydraulic clutch and Rekluse.
  2. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    OF course he makes his own choices and decisions. However;

a) He asks others for input and feedback as part of that process (yes, even Dad)
    b) No matter what goes on in the minds of my children (adult or otherwise), as a parent I will always be concerned for them and their well-being. It is independent of them.
    spaceman_spiff likes this.
  3. billiards101

billiards101 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ended up with Rekluse + Clake SLR also. Tried 2 different brands before settling on the Clake. For riders like me that live in the flatlands and only get to ride the tougher stuff a few trips per year the Rekluse makes things much easier. I'm sticking with the Torq Drive from Rekluse on the 790 for now.

One thing I noticed, and other have mentioned, is the snatchiness of the 790 Rekluse in first gear, never was smooth until it got warmed up. Spoke to a KTM dealer yesterday, he said his techs had the same snatchy issues.
    We also discussed increasing the size of the oil jet and he cautioned that doing this could take away oil pressure from the engine side.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Two things:
    Fill the oil level to the top of the sight glass. Your Rekluse will be less snatchy, but never as good as on the little ktms.
    The oil jet enlargement concern has been proven to be false. A member here hooked up an oil pressure gauge and checked before and after enlargement and it was the same.
  5. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Although technically a 'cable add-on', I highly recommend the CRG lever perch assembly. The bearings help give a precision feel and allows for adjustment of the mechanical advantage ratio if you want longer engagement zone.

Rottweiller sells it as a kit with an adaptor for the clutch switch to fit and includes a motion pro cable. The stock cable gives a lot of resistance no matter what lube or cleaner you try. Quite surprising the difference between them.

You can also order with a shorty lever, as I did. Just have to give them a call and do a special order as Rott doesn't stock the shorties.
    oldfuddy likes this.
  6. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That’s an option I’ve looked at, but haven’t committed to yet. Cheers
  7. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very similar Rekluse clutch failure experience in all ways except the walking part. I was able to keep loosening the clutch cable to get, carefully, to where I needed to go. Snatchy /grabby when cold, ok when warm but never like my small hydraulic actuated bikes. Do not know what Rekluse is going to do for me but I’m done with the RadiusX in the 790 though I like the ease of managing all bikes with the auto clutch. But, I don’t trust the RadiusX and I was lucky to get in when it fried.
  8. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does your bike have the camel one finger lever also installed?
  9. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    The Camel one-finger arrives tomorrow!

Favorite shorty lever anyone? Saw the recent Rot special order recommendation. Could a picture of that be had?
  10. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Never mind on the shorty lever, fortunately found the lever thread before being flamed!
  11. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Finally reached Joe at Rekluse. Sending photos and my saga to see what help they might furnish. Fingers crossed, hate to unilaterally eat this one.
  12. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    It's getting lonely on this thread, but, to close the loop, Rekluse totally took car of me on the auto-clutch failure. They are sending a Torque Drive to replace it. Also, I had won a sizeable Rekluse gift certificate at the Dakota 600, which in my infinite wisdom, had not looked at closely in terms of expiration date. Of course, when I got to the place to use it, it had expired. Idaho Joe and Rekluse honored the whole darn thing and I've got an auto-clutch coming for my new 690 too. I am beyond impressed with the response from Rekluse and at the next level beyond happy! I know that means a lot to everyone so I wanted to share my blissful state, while it lasts!
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    That's great news! I have had nothing but good interactions when calling Rekluse for assistance.
    chrislitt likes this.
  14. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    One lagging thought on the Rekluse failure. My clutch let go while I was experimenting with TC. I had only used TC for a minute a few days earlier on a nasty hill, ugly execution but I made it up. It seems like TC might cause the clutch to slip because of "misfiring" of the engine and potential locking and unlocking of the clutch. Could be just coincidence but it makes me wonder.
  15. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AdvRonski to the red phone. Can you provide a precis of TC mechanics please? :-)
  16. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I have no direct info, but from my experience using TC on the 790, it definitely modulates the throttle opening to achieve the level of slip the rider has selected. It may also retard the ignition timing as well, but I can't verify that. It certainly does not cut either cylinder completely, as a misfire would quickly overheat the catalyst, if the ignition were cut, and I have never felt a misfire, even at max TC settings. It seems unlikely that TC intervention would have a negative effect on the Rekluse operation, unless you would lug the engine down below 2000 rpm, where the centrifugal mechanism would begin to disengage. If you've seen any of my responses to 790/890 clutch failures, it's always been my opinion that they are user-induced, and I don't see any reason to think this incident is any different. I'm not a big fan of Rekluse clutches, but I recently acquired a KTM 450 XC-F that came with one installed, and I'm finding it somewhat useful for that bike. I still wouldn't lay out over $1000 to add it to any of my bikes.
    BHoward and TrailTrauma like this.
  17. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Motor Cycle Traction only manipulates the throttle position. It does not cause a misfire, it does not retard or advance or manipulate the timing in any way shape or form.
    One of the advantages of ride by wire is your right hand operating the throttle is only making a request to the motorcycles computer. The motorcycles computer then determines how much throttle it is actually going to input to to motor. There are many other parameters here to consider however sticking just to the motorcycle traction control issue.
    The throttle grip request XX amount of throttle, the ECM determines exactly how much throttle you're going to get and one of those parameters is the slip number, and it sends just that amount of throttle to the motor not what your right hand is telling it to do.
  18. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So just WOT, and steer.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    So do you guys hit a slow, loose dolls head garden going uphill, and just grab throttle and rely on TC, or are some of you still naturally reaching for the clutch lever to do the modulating? That's a hard habit to break.
    BHoward likes this.
  20. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A great question, a good example is going up the back side to Cerro Gordo, it's a pretty steep uphill very rocky with most rocks being loose, and all sizes.
    Myself, I never used the clutch for engine modulation, For Better or For Worse if I needed more RPMs I would just downshift. now with the Rekluse auto clutch and quick shifter the only time I use the clutch is when I start the bike.
    So for me, going up difficult trails like Cerro Gordo, I had my slip set on 8 but for the most part I modulate the throttle myself. The MTC is just there for back up.
    The opinions expressed in this article are mine and only mine and not that of the network. thank you for your time and consideration. your mileage may vary.