Let's talk sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by BaRRaCuda1974, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I have a Mountain Hardware Lemenia 30 degree bag. I’ve had it for fourteen years now.

Packed it’s about nine inches long, about six inches in diameter (I can make it a small ball if I want).

Synthetic as I do a lot of backpacking and learned long ago that a wet bag sucks, a wet down bag sucks a lot. I needed a bag to do both Moto-tour and backpack.

Easy to pack, light, easy to clean, and obviously long lasting (durable).

I sleep warm, so a thirty degree bag is way too warm most of the summer, just warm in the fall, and pretty comfy in the early winter.
    Don03st likes this.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    for really cold campouts.... one light duty bag slipped into a heavier duty bag.

for less cold, just use either of them.

the Walmart bags are fine for this, although i know tons of guys will swear it's inferior/bad/certain death/fireball/whatever.
    thelastfoiter likes this.
  3. CaymanRider

CaymanRider KMan

Oddometer:
  4. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard that duck down sleeping bags had some smell when they are in a humid environment. This was a while back . They may have improved on this . Please report back on your experience. I’m looking into a duck down quilt but unsure about this
  6. Anders-

Anders- 690R

Oddometer:

Another downside with duck is less lift.
  7. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

For years I have only used high quality goose down.

3 years ago I bought the Serra Designs 700 fill backcountry bed ... they use duck down. ... I can not tell any difference.

Key to me is high quality down 700 + fill ratings.

Scott
  8. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this may be true. But to get a bag or quilt that has the same temperature rating with duck or goose, it should have around the same loft (thickness) since there will be more ounces of fill with the duck to get the temp down to what the goose item is rated for, so the goose item will weigh less and pack a little smaller, I hope this makes sense.
  9. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will do. I have been hanging for 4 years now and still fight cold when above 8,000 feet. Recently added a UQ, a insulated Exped selfinflator and a Costco quilt....almost there so the down bag should put me over the top.
    Snake Oiler and kjbetz like this.
  10. O'B

O'B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Feathered Friends

Seattle Wa!
    CaymanRider likes this.
  11. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a bag from Taiga, as well as one from Feathered Friends. Both are very good quality and 'locally' made.
  12. Cilantro

Cilantro Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Tanker4me

Tanker4me Old, just effn old.

Oddometer:
    I didn't know anything about BA bags, got stuck buying the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 deg. down bag 5 years ago while on a desert trip.
    The bag I had wasn't going to cut it as the forecast low temps were to be in the mid 20s F.
    The only bag rated at 15 F available at the local outfitter was the BA.
    It has worked for me down to 20 F.
    I've been happy with it so far, but it has never been wet so I can't comment as to its hydrophobic qualities.
    The air mattress sleeve system works amazingly well.
    kjbetz likes this.
  14. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had great experience with Western Mountaineering bags. I use an Apache Super Dryloft (rated to 20 degrees F) for backpacking and climbing in non-winter conditions. I would probably not purchase this bag again because the Extremelite series bags have gotten so much better. The Apache Super has proven durable (18 years old now), warm, stuffable, and the workmanship is amazing. A Versatile or Alpinelite would be even lighter and more stuffable.

As for temperature ratings, I don't see the point of buying something rated below 20 degrees unless you have some other use that requires sleeping in colder temperatures. But then I sleep reasonably warm, and the Western bags are very conservative in their ratings. My Apache is rated to 20, I've slept comfortably as low as 14 degrees in it.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  15. Snapper

Snapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    My favorite set-up is a Jack-R-Better Sierra series quilt/poncho paired with Mont Bell Hugger series mummy. Can cover a wide temp range using one or the other or both. The quilt in poncho mode negates the need for a cold evening/morning campsite wear (eg, down jacket) and is far warmer for the same weight due to the 'mitten' effect of all limbs inside while sitting cross-legged on a pad. Set-up a candle (I use my stove as an alcohol candle) in the protected triangle of your legs, and you can get deep heat soak (nicer than a hot tent) for crawling into bed almost 'hot' (Palmer Furnace concept).

The hugger series mummy bags use elastic so has the stretch space for the quilt inside, and the mummy solves the quilt-alone draft problem if you toss and turn. I also have the hood for the poncho quilt.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    +1
    I find the Backcountry Bed great for use in my hammock (plus an under quilt in place of a pad in cold temps)

The top ‘blanket’ section can be pulled up snug or left down, and I love the handy opening where you can have feet either inside or outside the bag while the rest of you stays covered. Very easy to adapt to the range of temperatures you get even in a single night.
    Much more convenient temperature control than any zipper type bag that I have used in the past.
  17. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought myself a reasonable quality duck down bag rated to -5 (23F) about 4 years ago but last time I used it I was cold. Ive been keeping it in its compression sack in the cupboard and was told I should have stored it unpacked and hanging. It that true? Have I killed it? Can it be resurrected?
  18. BluegrassPicker

BluegrassPicker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    throw it in the dryer on the delicate setting then store it uncompressed
    Jim K. likes this.
  19. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will give that a go!
  20. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would wash it . plenty of videos on how to wash it safely. Google search is your friend.

Snake Oiler likes this.