Let's talk sleeping bags

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by BaRRaCuda1974, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2# Rab 20* mummy bag that I hardly ever use because it doesn't leave me any room to roll around, I can't even fit an extra layer on inside of it if I wanted to extend the temp rating a little lower. My wife loves it and she takes it if she's going somewhere without me. If we're going somewhere together we have a 2 person bag from Big Agnes that is the best thing ever! There's room to get comfortable and it's incredibly flexible in its comfort range. We were looking for a lighter option and just picked up a Feather Friends Flicker which we hope to be able to use as a 2 person quilt but it also has the ability to zip up to be a one person hoodless mummy bag that's rated to 20*. The Feathered Friends bag packs to about 8 liters in size.

As someone has mentioned, the other half of the system is the pad, my wife and I both use the Thermarest NeoAir X-therm. We sleep on the snow a fair amount and in the high alpine and these pads have been great. I've seen one get sliced on sharp granite shards so some care is necessary but the comfort and insulation is great for the weight and packed size.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  2. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being a desert dweller. I am not as hip on gear as cold weather inmates are.

So I just roll with a small tarp.
    One of these : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Emergency-Sleeping-Bag/676257658
    and if I think I need it. My old military mummy bag. < I did not bring it to Sweetwater campgraound >

I don't do cold well. My blood has the consistency of Laquer Thinner.
    I am glad to see this let's talk sleeping bags thread.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  3. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I concur. Big Angnes Bellyache Mountain. With an insulated sleeping pad. Down packs smaller and will last longer but is typically more expensive and you cannot get it wet.
    deadzed likes this.
  4. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 night bike trip coming up on the 23rd. Highs upper 40's lows upper 20's I'll bring the Feathered Freinds Kestrel 30 with the liner and thermal top and bottoms along with wool socks and a chuke I should be good. It'll be on top of an Exped Synmat 7.
    Jason4 likes this.
  5. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I special ordered a bag from wexgear.com mid Oct due to the great price. I chose not to take one off the shelf and I knew the build was out of country so it was going to take some time. They have been prompt with all correspondence and their shipment arrived almost a month ago, but I am still waiting. I have no doubt I will get my bag, but if anyone else is considering a special order from them, be prepared to wait.
  6. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    55469523616__6725350B-DC5A-42F2-8DF9-8E5BCADC130F.JPG So many of us use the Exped air mattress , I have for years and been really happy . 5 or 6 years ago I got an Exped tent on fleabay and have been more than happy with that , more recently I found an Exped Swan WB 800 Sleeping Bag: 0 Degree Down and have been totally amazed with it , amazingly warm and waterproof . It packs small and is absolutely the most comfortable bag I have ever used even on warmer nights I don't sweat and thrash around and on cold nights it's fantastic .
    I spend a good continual month each year living in that Exped Andromeda II Tent and sleeping in that bag as a buddy and I continue the TCAT . After one year of seeing my Exped tent in action my buddy tossed his Big Agnus and got an Exped .
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  7. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have one too. A good bag and a good price. Picked up another one with reverse zips so it forms one big bag when I camp with the GF. I like the synthetic - got wet once and still insulated just fine and dried quickly. Also just read that because synthetics don't compress like down, they hold insulating qualities more on the bottom.

I also like the larger foot box - semi mummy. Room to move.
    Ragin Rabbi likes this.
  8. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Exped stuff. I had an Andromeda as well and it survived quite a few horrendous T-storms and white out rain events with me staying totally dry. :D
    UV finally killed it after 10 years.:bluduh I have an Orion III now but miss the big vestibule of the Andromeda. I also have a down mat from Exped and it is warm and comfortable and packs relatively small for a down filled pad but bigger than the synthetic mats. No experience with Exped sleeping bags though, as I use a Sierra Designs down bag that has a waterproof membrane to keep water out.
    New down bags now have the option to be filled with hydrophobic down, taking away the worry of getting cold in a wet down bag.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  9. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    If you are wanting vestibule space try these.

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/tents/venus-iii-dlx-plus-mossgreen#prettyPhoto

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/tents/cetus-iii-ul-green#prettyPhoto

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/tents/cetus-ii-ul

I'm really wanting the Venus 3 deluxe. just don't think most of the places I camp have room for it. it's sweet though.
    rider1150gsadv and shearboy2004 like this.
  10. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn that Venus 3 deluxe is a well designed monster !
    I really like my Andromeda , I didn't think I would as it's not like the Orion I have which is free standing , My riding buddy has an Orion too and when we are setting up I can be as fast if not faster setting up the Andromeda , 4 pegs and 3 poles which are all the same size , I have never needed anymore pegs than the 4 heavy ones I carry even in the worst weather .
  11. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was, for years, the acquired wisdom, but I'm not so sure it's true anymore. Most of the down bag sellers have developed water proofing for down, that enables it to stay fluffy even when wet. I haven't put mine to the test yet, but folks who have claim that it works.
  12. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Good to know. Froze one night in 2013 (+/-) on the south ridge of the Grand Canyon, rode to Las Vegas, stopped at the REI and bought the much warmer Big Agnes Bellyache Mountain and had them ship my North Face Blue Kazoo home. Both down bags. The Blue Kazoo is probably 25 years old and still kickin'.

I can tell you with certainty there is nothing water repellent about the down in either bag. Get them wet, let them sit out in your tent in during a few days of rain, or sweat them out, and you have an issue.
    Jim K. likes this.
  13. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You got that one right. I use an old Eureka down bag, (marginal at best, but it packs sooo small!) & I'm absolutely anal about keeping any moisture away from it.

That said, I've talked to a couple of guys who've had tent leaks on the new breed of down bags that are treated. One was a Marmot, not sure about the other. Both raved about how they felt damp & a little clammy, but stayed warm. Maybe some folks here can chime in on experiences with the new treated down bags.
  14. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a down quilt (Enlightened Equipment) that uses the DownTek water-resistant down. Since purchasing it we haven't had rain on any of our backpacking trips, so I guess the water-resistant down is working in a way. We've also used in our Sprinter van for camping, including in some soggy autumn conditions. The down seems to retain its loft quite well. However, the quilt has not yet been actually rained on or truly water-exposed, so not a full test of the down. Sorry.

I am curious though. Eventually the quilt will be dirty and require a wash. How's that going to go, with the water-resistant down. I suppose it's no different from washing a Primaloft or Polarguard bag; those insulations are quite hydrophobic...
  15. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been unable to get into some cold weather, but during a 11 recent day motocamping trip to New England I saw 37F and 38F AM temps. What I was looking for a bag to keep my feet warmer without having to use an underquilt for my hammock. It was a success and would be good into the 20's which is the coldest I will likely ever Mcamp. Since I was doing a special order, Wexgear recommended an extra 200g of down to make the bag a 1200 fill weight and if I remember right t was something like another $20. It took several months to get the bag, but that is because I wanted a non stocked color of camo. They do stock 1200g XL bags in blk/blue, black and now green.
    The stuff sack that comes with the bag is a joke, so I bought a Sea and Sea waterproof one for it. The zipper also needs a pull as it's almost impossible to find during the night.
    Anyway for $175 it's a pretty good deal.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up an REI Radiant (19F) bag during a big sale about 5 years ago. Water-repellent duck down, but it keeps me plenty warm well below freezing. 2-1/2" lbs and packs down to about 5L. No, it doesn't have any duck smell. Couldn't justify another $100+ for a similar temp goose-down bag.

If you are going to use a bag a lot, get a machine-washable liner. I use a cotton one. Wash it every week or so. If it is going to be near zero (F), I have a 25F compact liner that I use. It gets me through those cold nights fine.

If you don't want to be cold, you also need an insulated pad. I highly recommend the Klymit ISV pad as the best bang for the buck.
  17. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you found that bag in northern Nevada, it was mine.
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern Minnesota. This would have been about 1988.

I used that bag off and on until 2015.

Jamie
  19. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2 Western mountaineering bags one rated at -25 and one rated at zero great bags light pack down small well worth the cost my bags do double duty for backpacking and Moto camping and kayak camping
    MtnRider likes this.
  20. AltaPowder

AltaPowder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A silk liner is a sweet treat and ‘lowers’ a Temp Rating every bit of 10 degrees.

D