Let's talk Thumpers

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Phreaky Phil, Sep 27, 2019.

1. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My XR650R. Bought it back from the UK with me and thought it'd be easy to get on the road in NZ. Still working on that part, mainly as I'm terrible with electrics and just cannot get it working correctly using the original loom. Parts are annoying - nothing secondhand like in UK, and new parts are 4-6 weeks from Japan and $$$.

Still love it though...

[​IMG]

I previously went through a large KTM-phase; 950S, 990Adv, 950SE, 1190Adv... Awesome bikes, but too much for NZ I personally think. Or maybe that's just my age speaking.
  2. Oscar

Oscar Master of the Universe! Supporter

Oddometer:
    To divert slightly - this takes us to a debate (the myth of the all round Adv bike) that has been going on a long time.
    Is it a big twin or a big single?

Plan A.
    Originally, the one bike did everything.
    Whatever enduro bike I was punting at the time got pressed into service as a trail bike, adventure bike, commuter and even as a trials bike a couple of times (even the two smokes).
    Later when the competition licence was not renewed, I used things like a TT250, XR400, XT550 or DZR400 on adventures.
    [​IMG]
    Then I got a "proper" adv bike - an F650 Dakar.
    This was a big disappointment (and put me off BMW's for a long time), so over the years I tried brand orange, and the 640 Enduro and 625SXC were brilliant.
    [​IMG]
    Problem is, the adventures got longer, comfort became a factor so something more was needed.
    A TDM and a V Strom were tried, but found lacking off road.
    A 950 Adv was purchased.
    This was Plan B "the big twin answer", as it went ridiculously fast off road, and would go damn near anywhere.
    After 10 years of this, a serious injury put paid to the confidence on big bikes off road.
    [​IMG]
    So I tried an 1190 Adv and a road legal 450EXC.
    This was also a good answer, particularly for the aging or injured idiots that don't want to give up hard off road adv.
    Plan C - two bikes.
    [​IMG]
    So anyway, I have reverted to Plan B.2 - a smaller all round big bike, the 790r.
    Come back in 10 years and I'll tell how it went.
  3. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    I started adv riding on whatever was in the shed at the time and never found anything more suitable, so I still ride Honk, the 1982 XL500.
    Tried XR600, DRZ400,NX650 but none do 100kmh and crawl along riverbeds as easily.
    Comfy seat low enough to not have too many fall-overs.
    No electronics, or electric start either.
    Have push started mates BMW and a KTM, but Honk has never needed a hand.
  4. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I feel there will be a 701 in my life soon.
  5. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:

watched these two videos of the WR250r. a good evaluation of these little bikes.Good review especially from a hire bike adventure company.They dont have unreliable bikes and a good overview of their mods. Looked like fun riding to.
    dont think ive ridden one since spent a day on a demo one in Aotuhia stn when they first came out. it was winter and pretty slick but fun.
    young1 likes this.
  8. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Better not watch my videos after that...

9. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So.... when you test ride one remember to come past my place to let me have a turn..... Lol