Lewis and Clark Trail, 8 yrs of it...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LewisNClark, Mar 8, 2015.

1. DWalt

DWalt **** The Beans....

Oddometer:
    Fantastic thread LNC!!!!

I've been playing with my May 2020 ride to Alaska route, and researching interesting places, roads and routes!!
    Between this thread and Sod Buster's Kansas thread, I have hit the mother load!
    I've spent two day in the history rabbit hole, and I think I'm going to need more than the thirty days I have planned to do it all

Thanks!!
    LewisNClark and Mcgee like this.
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Up Maysville KY way

Attached Files:

3. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    In and around West Point KY

Attached Files:

Amphib, LewisNClark and bomose like this.
  4. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    More in and around West Point.

Attached Files:

Amphib, LewisNClark and bomose like this.
  5. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Lewis and Clark are everywhere!
    Even when not looking for it I find it!

Attached Files:

6. CVBruce

CVBruce CVBruce

Oddometer:
    We the North salute our southern brother/sister-riders on your Thanksgiving weekend. But, to put things in perspective with L&C, let's keep in mind that Alexander Mackenzie traveled a more northern route 12 years before. And actually traversed the continent twice in his lifetime. Anyone riding north to Alaska/Yukon will be familiar with the Mackenzie River which is named after him.

In 1792 his party were the first explorers to reach the Pacific by traversing the North American continent, descending to the ocean down the Bella Coola river.

Mackenzie wasn't Canadian as there wasn't a Canada yet. He was most obviously a Scot.

Celebrate well!

CVBruce

Attached Files:

knight, RedDogAlberta and Aces 6 like this.
  7. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd seen it all.....but have been looking for that Colter marker for years. Thanks for reviving an old ride report. West Point, Ky is a treasure few history buffs have found. There are historical markers about every 100 feet through the tiny town. My favorite is John Shields home.

FYI John Shields (L&C blacksmith) grave is directly across the river from his house.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Some what valid, not intended as sarcasm or a joke but poor Alexander got lost and accidentally went north and discovered the Artic Ocean instead of the Pacific Ocean.
    :lol3 = (Sorry couldn't help myself)

Also only traveled 3,000 miles verses L&C covered 8,250 miles.

The big difference was the purpose of L&C's travels were to map the US territory land and rivers, so the United States could claim it as there territory. Clark did screw up a little and measured the distance as 4,122 miles (one way) but missed it by 27 miles. The really big difference was L&C so well documented their travels so others (pioneers) could follow.

No doubt Alexander Mackensie was a great explorer. 50+ years ahead of L&C.
    Aces 6 and bomose like this.
  9. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Been to AK, all over KS....but there is something special about riding down a trail between a crop of corn fields to a campsite to the Missouri River banks where L&C and Seaman slept at 210 yrs ago, or set up your tent beside a little creek in MT (Seaman Creek) where Lewis' dog Seaman chased a herd of Buffalo's, never to be seen again. FYI took me 20,000 miles to retrace the L&C trail, the Missouri is not straight.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  10. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    John Colter....what a story. Left L&C Expedition to return west for 3 or 4 yrs, mostly by himself. Discovered Yellowstone Park and the Tetons. Eventually joined the War of 1812 against the British....In 1810 returned home to his Osage bride in New Haven, Missouri and lived there as a farmer for a few years in a shack vertical log cabin. Died of Jaunders in 1813, but wife, not speaking English living in a wilderness left his body in the cabin and returned to her Osage Indian Tribe....advance forward 100+ years, their old cabin had collapsed in rot. Clearing the old cabin a farmer found Colter's skeleton and his engraved leather ammo pouch engraved with "Lewis and Clark Corp of Discovery" beside his skeleton remains.

[​IMG]

Maysville, Ky above - only thing that happened at Maysville was Lewis and his pup Seaman rowed past it in 1804 on the way to Louisville to pick up Clark at Clarksville, Indiana and "the 12 Young Men from Kentucky". Passing Maysville, it is a pretty sure thing that Lewis and his pup Seaman stopped their new Keelboat on the Ohio River at Cincinnal, Ohio and camped in the left field of what is now Cincinnati Red's baseball stadium.
    Amphib, bomose and Aces 6 like this.
  11. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Like you chased L&C across the continent. Lucky enough to be stationed in Winchester VA so was able to go to Monticello to see the items Lewis brought back to Jefferson and visit Harper's Ferry were the boat was manufactured. In fact the Army fed my L&C addiction.
    Found my self in Joint Base Lewis McChord near Olympia WA so of course hit everything in OR, WA, ID, MT on the KLR. Then the Army was so kind to station me at Ft. Knox so stumbled across West Point/Maysville and of course did a run down the Natchez Trace on the way to Austin for a course and had to stop at Lewis final stop.
    All told been piecing together the route since 2000...so 19 years and still counting.
    The missing piece of the puzzle will be put in place in 2-3 years when I take this trip.
    https://trailadventures.com/missouri-river-canoe-trips/
    Amphib and LewisNClark like this.
  12. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    The ultimate piece of the puzzle is the riverboat trip down the Upper Missouri River Breaks. Have not done the canoe rental route but I've been every square foot of Upper Missosuri Breaks trail that is even possibly accessible on 2-wheels...just can't get to all the campsites except by jon boat or canoe. I envy your trip.

I have all the GPS coordinates of the Upper Miss. River Breaks campsites if you want them, and they are marked with US Geological Disks...but still hard to find.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  13. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just found this RR. I plan on reading a page a day that way I can extend the enjoyment. It is too bad I didn't find this back in 2015 as some of the pictures are no longer linked to the posts. I think this would be a great ride on a small bike.
  14. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    That would be terrific! Would take the moto/canoe trip to the next level.
    Riverboat trip you say? :hmmmmm
  15. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Most popular place is a small seasonal canoe rental shop in Fort Benton. Rent for two possible distances and they provide tents and food at end of each day. Or you can rough it with their canoe and your own gear and supplies. doing such a 170-230 mile canoe trip without support could be hazardous to one's health. there is nothing on the river banks for at least 100 miles, except dirt, no or few roads. either way they do a pickup at the end of your route usually Judith Landing bridge/campground. I'll get you the GPS coordinates.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  16. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    L&C KY sword.JPG L&C pike.JPG
    I was stoked when given a "back stage" tour of a museum (knew a guy, who knew a guy...) and given a chance to hold a sword and pike that was taken across the continent with the Corps of Discovery. It was something else to handle something that was most likely touched by L & C (Washington's still in the background).
    Amphib likes this.
  17. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    That's a big deal if it is the real one, sounds like it is. Its called an "espontoon" only issued to British officers but Lewis bought two for himself and Clark. Cross at top was used to balance a musket for a long shot. If that was Lewis's espontoon, he fought off a grizzly bear at the Great Falls of Montana when he forgot to reload his musket and fought off the bear til he could jump in the Missouri River and get away. I was honored last summer to hold Lewis branding iron in my hands at the Oregon Historical Museum. But most memorable is holding the actual "The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition" and Clark's original maps of the Exp. a couple of years ago, Philadelphia museum. The most treasured artifact is still the Lewis compass, since they used it probably everyday. It is in the Smithsonian, normally on display beside the Wright Brothers airplane.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  18. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Truly a sad story. Statue of him downtown Louisville.
    Downtown York.JPG York.jpeg
    td63 and bomose like this.
  19. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    Damn!
    Thanks for that background.
    They are the real deal. Was told by the then CEO/President of the museum not to post on social media. But that was 3 years ago and they have moved on so....:jack

To hold the journal and maps would be something else! No idea the compass was there. I must have walked right by it! :dirtdog
  20. Aces 6

Oddometer:
    I think I read early in the thread that you have published a book on L&C. If I read that correctly could you send or PM title?
    I have a gap in my travels from were Floyd passed to Fort Benton. A re-read of the expedition is in order before I head up that way for canoe trip.