Lewis and Clark Trail, 8 yrs of it...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LewisNClark, Mar 8, 2015.

1. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been following the development of electric motorcycles and I think they will eventually come to be the perfect bikes for poking around on rural roads.
  2. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed, and I look at them weekly and right now anything “off-road worthy” is around 40-60 mile range and 3 to 4 hours of charging time........they’re light and silent except for wheels hitting dirt and have potential when they come up with a longer range battery. They are already pretty popular with hunters since they make very little noise when stalking game. Several states Hunting and Fishing Depts are already looking at elec vehicles as an unfair weapon against game.
    nutmagnet and Ladybug like this.
  3. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    I spent all day looking for Seaman Creek to discover from a local that they had changed it’s name to Monture Creek, reading the Journals Lewis mentioned that Seaman had chased a herd of buffalo all night several times before, but would come back to camp by daybreak, next morning Seaman was a no show, but under pressure to meet Clark in 10 days Lewis wrote a detail described how he was worried that Seaman would not be able to catch the 4 of them on fast Appaloosa horses headed to the upper Marias River...

Seaman was an aggressive guard dog at all times during all their travels, especially at night...when the 4 or 5 Blackfoot Indians attacked the Lewis crew in the middle of the night at Camp Disappointment to steal their weapons, there’s no way Seaman would not have been raising all hell...so my conclusion was he did not catch up, by that time they were 200 miles from Seaman Creek.

But the most telling evidence is neither Clark or Lewis ever mentioned Seaman again in their Journals...but he was a big pet to all the 33 crew members..., throughout the Journals the crew members referred to Seaman as “our dog”, also worth noting why else would Lewis a week later after camping at Seaman Creek, Lewis drew a sketch map of Seaman Creek area and named it in their journal’s sketch, “Seaman Creek”. There are several theories about what happened to Seaman but I'm pretty sure my theory is right. When Lewis died on the Natchez Trace he had a dog with him but I'm confident it was not Seaman.

Seaman Creek is on an Indian Reservation in tiny town of Ovando, 20 NW of Missoula, MT about 20 miles south of Ted Kaczynski’s cabin, AKA the UniBomber, near Lincoln, Montana. The creek picture below is of their campsite at Seaman Creek.

Attached Files:

4. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Seaman Creek was on a Blackfoot Indian reservations....not the best friends of L&C. So they renamed the creek for a local Blackfoot politician. Thinking what the heck, what could go wrong , what if there was a petition of signatures asking the local town's people to rename the creek back to Seaman Creek.

So I went to the only store in town and ask if there was a city hall, Answer was, "nope, it's probably on the mayor's front porch." But was told "the mayor lives right across the parking lot...so go talk to him". Sure enough the mayor was doing carpentry work next door, in red ballcap. When asking about a creek name change by use of a petition, he laughed and said he had been trying for 20 years, and the only thing that would happen is "You and I would probably get scalped, but you don't have enough hair !"

Seaman is best known for this. Drouillard, their main hunter, shot a deer and only wounded it and it escaped across a river near Great Falls, MT and Seaman used his "webbed paws" to swim across the river, chase down the wounded deer, and drug it back across the river in his mouth, and dropping it at Drouillard's feet.

Below is picture of where Seaman was last seen chasing a herd of buffalo. Lewis wrote a vivid description of the site in his journal.

IMG_0867 - Copy.JPG
    Mayor of town in red cap.
    LCFly - Copy.JPG

Attached Files:

Amphib, Jonnyspeed, nutmagnet and 6 others like this.
  5. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    A Newfoundland, breed has gotten much bigger over the last 200 years. Breed is known as very protective, good swimmer with webbed feet and driven by instincts to retrieve game on or over water. In today's money, Lewis paid roughly $2,000 for Seaman. Lewis bought the dog due to knowing they would be on water for a year or more, being such a good swimmer Lewis gave him the name, "Seaman". Lewis trained Seaman as a pup coming down the Ohio River to pickup Clark. He used his air rifle to shoot squirrels on tree limbs from his barge and Seaman did the retrieving.

Obviously L&C wrote in script on parchment paper, dried leather, and paper with plucked quill pens dipped in a bottle of ink, and sometimes with lead pencils. For 181 years (1803-1984) everyone reading the L&C Journals read the name Seaman as (Scannon). Clark's handwriting was so bad most historians referred to Lewis' Journals....Finally a few years ago, in 1984, a college professor historian trying to figure out why "Scannon", until he finally, from reading the journals, figured out Lewis' handwriting was for sea/water worthy "Seaman". Hundreds of markers, books and monuments, etc across the country had to be corrected to Seaman.

The below Nufee showed in the Westminister Dog Show a few years ago. Placed Second Ribbon.

LCNewfoundland (2).jpg
    Amphib, nutmagnet, sacto929 and 3 others like this.
  6. gianttrack

gianttrack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just caught up on an entire pandemic's worth of this report and it is awesome as usual. Following now, like I thought I was before. Amazing research Ed!
    Dave

PS--I am still hoping to float the Upper Missouri River again once the smoke (virus) clears and weather permits.
  7. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Yes I have not forgotten the Upper Missouri River canoe trip. Took a sneak look at Billings, MT last week and they have a disaster of Covid-19 going on. UMRBks or not I plan on a trip back to the area anyway Spring 2021.
    nutmagnet and gianttrack like this.
  8. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    Book received.
    I would imagine it's a labor of love, but surely hard work and dedication, nonetheless. Thank you for making this available, Ed!
    LewisNClark likes this.
  9. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Certainly hope you get a lot out of the book and don’t hesitate to hit on me to help in planning a trip....I’m helping in the planning of 4 other people right now..doing part of the Trail, one husband and wife in an RV today headed thru Hwy 12 in Idaho, just below the Lolo.
    nutmagnet and ki_ote like this.
  10. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Just happened to run across this:
    https://gspawn.com/1st-ed-account-of-the-lewis-and-clark-expedition/

The site won't let me download pics to upload here but here's the description:
    1st Ed. Journal of the Voyages and Travels of a Corps of Discovery - Patrick Gass
    The first of a first! This is a rare copy of a milestone in American history, a first edition copy of Patrick Gass's journal detailing his travels through the American west as a Sergeant in the Lewis and Clark expedition. As the very first book published bringing tales of the wild and untamed American west to an eager East coast audience, this book was in high demand and the expedition returned to civilization as celebrities.
    There are certain accounts from the expedition that are accounted for only in Gass’ journal.
    Among these are information on the layout and design of Mandan, the Great Falls of Missouri, the events at the Clearwater River in Idaho and the decision at the mouth of the Marias River, where Gass had to travel almost seven miles in search of a waterfall they were told existed that was never found.
    Even though there were other issues with Gass’ journal, the first edition is still the only truly authentic account of the expedition in print until 1814, when Nicholas Biddle’s paraphrase of the captains’ journals came out.
    Item is worn but appears to have original cover and binding, there is visible wear on spine edges.This is a library copy and has been stamped multiple times by the original library. Board’s edge is worn and scuffed, text is age-toned, and the pages are stained throughout. Nevertheless, this first hand account of such a formative event for the nation makes this an excellent addition to any literary collection.

bomose likes this.
  11. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow ! I'd love to see that.
  12. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    You can - the lady that owned it allowed the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center at Washburn, North Dakota (site of Fort Mandan) to display it behind a glass cabinet last summer.....probably still there. I have the new edition. When Sgt Floyd died Corporal Gass took over his position and picked up writing his own Journal. Gass’ journal is basically 2,3,4 sentences about what happened each day.
    Thanks for article an link - Yes Meriweather Lewis was totally pissed that Gass came out with a book before he did. Lewis never did come out with a book, and a major reason he probably committed suicide was pressure (from Pres T. Jefferson) and his inability to complete the 13 volume book...that eventually Clark had to take over with a direction for a professional author, Nicholas Biddle.....it was like writing an encyclopedia. I was honored to hold the original "Journals of the Lewes and Clark Expedition" in my hands a few years ago.

The most significant thing Gas did was write down the port or starboard (left or right) side of the river or trail they camped on each day....took me weeks to adjust my GPS coordinates to left or right side of trail or river according to Gass.

Sort of ironic, but the Sgt Floyd who died (believed) of appendicitis bursting was writing his own journal but Clark gave his belongings, including his journal, to his family and his journal was only 3 months long 'til his death, was not found until about a 100 yrs later in an attic, no one ever bother to read it for 100+ yrs but historically very valuable....

After Wm Clark passed away, his son Meriwether Lewis Clark, found the "ORIGINAL" Clark map sketches of all the river routes and trails they traveled during the Expedition in Clark's attic. Since the Journals were already published he thought they were useless junk so he threw all of them away...no doubt the 100's of "original" map sketches would be worth millions of dollars today, but worth far more in historical value.
    Amphib, Ladybug, MrMac and 1 other person like this.
  13. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    The story I was told is some lady had had it for years, passed down from the Gass family, and decided to donate it/as in loan it to the closest place on the trail to where Gass became a Sgt rank....which was Elk Point, and the closest museum was at Ft Mandan. It has been evaluated and confirmed as original.

There are a number of L&C artifacts popping up in the last 50 yrs. most along the Columbia River in the hands of Nez Perce Indian families that never made them public until the last 40-50 years....one was an Adz (axe) that is most likely the real deal. Heading home, very short on food Lewis ordered everyone to sale anything they could do without for food, so a lot of tools were traded for food (especially horses and dogs) to the Nez Perce.

Sgt Gass 1st Edition book of his Journals. Published 1814. Probably only a few hundred, maybe thousand, of the original Gass book were printed. Picture below is an original from Ft Mandan museum. Printing presses were semi rare in 1814.

DSCN0240.JPG
    Amphib, bomose, Ladybug and 2 others like this.
  14. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Sgt Gass' grave in downtown Wheeling, West Virginia, oldest surviving member of the Expedition. Died at 99 yrs old. Behind the treeline in the background is the Ohio River,

DSCN1626.JPG

Attached Files:

Tsotsie, Amphib, Bill Dirt and 4 others like this.
  15. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Must have stayed away from Dr. Rush's "Thunderbolts."
    LewisNClark likes this.
  16. Jonnyspeed

Jonnyspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Jonnyspeed

Jonnyspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great posting! The "Mayor " is one of my long time friends Howie Fly, not only the "mayor" but a true wealth of information for the entire area. Ovando is a must see for anyone wanting to experience a true Montana small community. I stayed with Howie on my last trip from Va. to Montana last summer, soon to be posted on Epic Rides.
    Ladybug and Amphib like this.
  18. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Next time you see Howie Fly, remind him he was swinging a hammer re-building a rotten front porch when this guy came by to argue about changing the name of Seaman Creek back. He'll probably remember me. But we both agreed we'll never change the minds of local Blackfoot Indians. Good to find out his name so I can go back and argue returning the name to Seaman Creek, no doubt I will pass SEAMAN Creek again.

With a name of "Fly" he must have Indian/Blackfoot ancestry. ? Ironically, Seaman Creek is a well used "fly fishing stream", State Game Wardens were planting a tanker truck of trout in the creek while I was sitting on the banks.
  19. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
  20. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    What a great RR! Thnx for taking the time to put this together, and for sharing. :thumbup
    LewisNClark likes this.