Lewis and Clark Trail, 8 yrs of it...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by LewisNClark, Mar 8, 2015.

1. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed the RR! Their story is quite fascinating, to say the least. If you remember the very first picture of the Ride Report is the obelisk, tall concrete marker? After roughly 50,000 miles ago I went back to the obelisk last year to track down the site of Camp Disappointment, which is roughly 2.5 miles due north of the obelisk. I'd been within a few miles of Camp Disappointment but did not know the actual location. Finally last year I tracked down that last campsite so I figured I'd finally ridden the entire trail. Just a fascinating place (see picture below) due to the beauty of the campsite.

What's really fascinating about this group of people was the Captains learned to calculate latitudes and longitudes with 3 primitive instruments, + the sun, stars and moon.....and wrote down these tracks of their travels...so people today can follow their Trail, often down to the foot prints. All can rest assured this campsites' coordinates are in my GPX files.

Thanks for reading the RR.

Ed

Camp Disappointment: The little coral on the right is believed to be where Lewis, Drouillard, and the two Field brothers sat up camp and laid down to sleep, their cotton tents had rotted a year earlier. They were at this site for several days while Lewis waited for a clear sky to determine GPS coordinates. From their Journals, their only cover from rain and snow were buffalo and elk hides, but mostly finding a bluff or tree cover.

Camp_Disappointment.JPG
    The cliff to the right was believed to have been a buffalo jump for thousands of years.
    LCCampDisappointmentl.jpg
    knight, bomose, MrMac and 2 others like this.
  2. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    "PM Observed time and distance of the Moons western Limb from a Arietis East of the "

---William Clark
    Oct. 4, 1805
    LewisNClark likes this.
  3. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Please don't get me into this. :hair ha ha
    I have enough trouble with my Garmin Nuvi and Basecamp.
    I have given up long ago how anyone can calculate where they are standing with a chromometer and sextant.:pep

My favorite marker - Lewis stands alone on the Continental Divide on Lemhi Pass with his sextant, chromometer, etc....calculated how far the Pacific Ocean was, the drop in altitude (meaning many waterfalls and very steep mountains to cross ahead) and the distance of 650 miles to the Pacific Ocean...but he was only off something like 20 miles.

IMG_0899 (2).JPG

When Clark caught up, Lewis told him, "we're going to need horses, lots and lots of horses." :dhorse
  4. motomrider

motomrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the history lesson! Have been following this for a while now and its been an interesting read.
    squadraquota likes this.
  5. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just clicked onto this thread a couple days ago. Holy cow what a rabbit hole!

Thank you for the tremendous amount of work you have done.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  6. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it officially started in your backyard.
  7. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be in Wheeling on March 8th. I'm going to look him up if I have time.
  8. LewisNClark

Oddometer:
    Easy to find - It's actually in the town of Wellsburg, West Virginia...suburb of Wheeling, Brooke Cemetery - probably 3 block from the Ohio River.
    Roughly 1400 Main Street.

40.287485 -80.6053009

Lewis and Seaman stopped at "Grave Creek Mound" roughly 5 miles south of Wellsburg, it is a most interesting Indian burial grounds. You can walk to the top in Seaman's footsteps. Also close to the Ohio River.

LCIndianMound.jpg

Attached Files:

sledrydr and bomose like this.