Lewis & Clark Trail: Planning the 2008 Adventure

Discussion in 'Americas' started by DBrentMiller, Oct 15, 2007.

1. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The only think that happened between DC and Camp Dubois is Lewis traveled back and forth (by himself by horseback) from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania several times to purchase the supplies (boats and food stuff) for the LC Expedition. Only reason Lewis was in DC was that he was Pres Jefferson private secretary. Lewis also traveled back and forth several times from DC to Harpers Ferry to order/purchase rifles and some tools and ammunition (gun power and mini-balls) and attend Dr Rush's first aid training. He eventually picked up the killboat (the big one) and with 5 troopers, traveled from Philadelphia to the Ohio River to the Mississippi river then up to Camp Dubois for the winter. That trip from DC to Philad. & harpers ferry & eventually to St Louis (Camp Dubois) trip was not considered part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Did not notice where you live but the best place to start the L & C Expedition is at Charlottesville at Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's plantation). Monticello is where the real planning of the expedtion started. The brain childs behind the year long planning for the Expedition were Jefferson and Lewis (mostly lewis)...was actually ingenious what Lewis took along....were overstocked with gun power and writing paper.

The expedition trip started in Illinois, (near Akton(sp?), Ill) at Camp Dubois on the Wood River. Great museum there at approximate site of Camp Dubois. Trip Ended at Astoria along the Pacific. But they went one route but returned over 3 differrent routes and 3 separate groups. The facinating part of the expedition is 6 troops (including Lewis and Clark) (all those that could read and write) kept quite good diaries most days (journals) and most of these have been preserved. They all met up at in North Dakota at "Reunion Bay" (today a cattle ranch) on the Missouri River. Take a duel sport to get there.

If you live close to DC the National History Museum has one of the few artifacts still in existance, Lewis's pocket compass.
  2. DBrentMiller

DBrentMiller Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer:
    Sorry for using the generic "D.C." I should have known better talking to an L&C expert.

I am of that group that believes the expedition started in the East--yes, Monticello, and includes Philadelphia, Harper's Ferry, Pittsuburgh, etc.

Since I live in the Cincinnati, Ohio, area, it will be easy for me to travel the eastern portion (especially along the Ohio River), and prepare for the western portion. I'll probably do this in two rides, hopefully in the same year. It all depends upon the planning--something Lewis did quite extensively.

Brent
  3. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    Dang, noticed you're a writer/photographer. I've been writing a book for 4 or 5 yrs about L & C and making slow progress. I'll pm you about details and where I can use some help/advice, if you're interested.

Also: one of the best books about L & C is "Along the Trail with L & C" by Barbara Fifer & Vicky Soderberg....reference book not a novel like Ambose's though Ambrose's book is very entertaining. Joseph Mussulman is definately the ultimate authority on L & C Expedition, he's also author of website: www.lewis-clark.org
  4. DBrentMiller

Oddometer:
    Sure, send me the PM. I'm also a former professor of journalism and photojournalism--I still hand out pointers and a lesson or two.

I don't have the reference book you mention, but I do have about a dozen others, including a copy of the Journals of Lewis and Clark, by editor John Bakeless.

Back to my original question, have you ridden the eastern portion?

Brent
  5. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    I've covered these East Coast travels by Lewis.
    Area's around Harpers Ferry. There's a website somewhere out there that is documentation of Lewis horseback trip (from his diary and letters to President Jefferson) that covers his horseback ride back and forth. I've covered much of the known route. The actual route/road was just trails and are not positively known.

On the east coast one of the better places for you to travel over a 2 or 3 day trip would be down to the south of nashville, Tenn to Natchez Trace where Lewis probably commited suicide and where he is buried...I have a Ride Report here (do a search for Natchez Trace) showing his grave site. Been there several times. Long trip for you but Lewis childhood home was on the east coast 22 miles south of Elberton, Georgia in a little community called Goose Pond. Need a dual sport and willing to walk a mile thru "wilderness" to get there. Foundation of his boyhood home is still there after 225 years.

Though it is not necessarily a mc ride I'd hit DC. Thomas Jefferson Memorial, probably 100 yards behind the Capital bldg. Bunch of L & C letters are still there, including Jefferson's letter to Lewis authorizing the Expedition and telling him how to conduct it. Again, Monticello is one of the better places and takes a full day to tour. Also St Louis, St Charles(the official starting point), Missouri where. By far one of the best museums is the one at Camp Dubois. (Alton, Illinois).

PM Sent.
  6. DBrentMiller

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pointers. I've been on the Trace and Lewis' gravesite. Also been to St. Louis and Clark's gravesite, which is surrounded by a lot of family! That is a very interesting cemetery with lots of historical figures buried there. The "visitor's center" has a map for the grounds.
  7. Schlug

Schlug JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Ed, while i'm not a tremendous L&C fan myself, my social studies teaching GF is. and while she has trouble putting in 400 mile days, she will sit for a good bit. can you tell me where the foundation of his boyhood home is located?

actually, being near detroit, mi, any interesting 2-day rides would be helpful.

the old foundation you mentioned in your previous posts piqued my interest.
  8. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    Some picture of the site:

[​IMG]

Goose Pond Road and look for this marker...marker provides brief directions.
    [​IMG]

Goose Pond Road. John Marks was Meriwether's step father.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Slaton is sort of the self appointed caretaker of this site. Some local people collected money to put this granite marker on the site.

[​IMG]
    :ricky

The University of Georgia is in Athens, GA. Pretty easy to find; 50 miles due east of Atlanta. East of Athens is a little town of Elberton, GA. Can not remember the Hwy # but the only road heading due south of Elberton will take you to an intersection of Goose Pond Road. It is roughly 20 miles south of Elberton. Right on Goose Pond Road, go 3 or 4 miles and look for L & C Marker above. Lewis home site is at least a mile thru rough wooded area...highly recommend BOOTS. Did not see any varmits but sure looks snakey. Have your GF take her pistola while you guard the bikes.

:chace
  9. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Ed. Glad you made it across Lolo. I would have gone across with you. I thought you were coming in too early, but we had early warm weather this year.

I went to Ft Clatsop and that area this summer. I need to visit the museum at Great Falls. I hear it is one of the best.
  10. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    but my schedule was not well defined. Lolo is a great series of roads. You should take in Great Falls Museum and the one in Dalles beside the Columbia River Gorge in (either Washington or Oregon, can're remember) but the one Museum at Dalles is one of the best museums. Also highly recommend Weipie along the Idaho border....that also is excellent riding territory. But by far the best road in your area is Lemhi Pass and Gibbons Pass....my two favorite trails along the L & C Trail and only about 50 miles apart. Both are just outside the Idaho state line (near Salmon). ​
  11. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Lemhi and Gibbons are among my favorites, also. I'll check out the Dalles Museum next time I head west. I was riding in the valleys here this weekend. The weather was great. I've been checking out the NeeMeePoo Trail and the Nez Perce War sites.
  12. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were on the LoLO in August 2007 and it is a hoot, might be a little rough on the strom but just take your time and you will be ok. It was hot and dusty in august , the fires all around made a lot of smoke, after you finish the LO LO it is a long way to fuel, our gps showed 50 miles and it was on some of the slickest gravel I have ever ridden . and the roads were really curvy.............lots of fun but after a full day of riding, heat and nearly being out of fuel it was tough going but fun. enjoy the trip but take a little extra fuel along and run Continental TKC 80s on the strom you will handle the dirt , rocks, and gravel a lot better..........Kieth:D
  13. DBrentMiller

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone. You've been very generous sharing information. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Brent
  14. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Is there a map of the trail someone could post?

Awe, heck, lemme go look ...

Here's the linky to the pdf from National Parks Service.

Man, I hit some of that on my last little jaunt. You want someone to ride along for some parts, or want me to do a little recon mission for you befor you head out, just let me know.

And, as always, you need a spot in Bozeman to sack out for a night or a couple for R&R just shoot me a PM.

Can't resist a little clip of the map.

[​IMG]

Oh, yeah, that'll be fun!
  15. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    Even has Pompe's (Jean Baptiste's) gravesite which was only discovered 4 or 5 years ago.
  16. DBrentMiller

Oddometer:
    This is looking very interesting!

Brent
  17. DBrentMiller

Oddometer:
    First, I want to thank everybody for posting some valuable information. And special thanks to Ed H. for his passion of the Lewis & Clark expedition. :clap

I have laid out a preliminary trip plan for July. This is a first draft, but here are the basics.

-July 4-14 ride to Pacific Ocean. 3,300 miles from Cincinnati--a round-about-way along the L&C Trail. It's mostly two-laners and some unpaved roads.

-July 16-18 ride back to Gillette, Wyoming, (mostly interstate) for BMW Rally. 1,246 miles.

-July 20-22 ride home (Cincinnati), 1,417 miles, mostly interstate highways.

My brother says he wants to ride with me, so I have given him the mileage and draft of ride agenda. It is a lot of riding in 18 days. 3300 miles to the coast and nearly 2700 miles back home via interstate highways. The schedule allows for experiencing the L&C Trail going out, and busting butt coming back. That's a liberal interpretation of L&C's travels.

Thanks everybody for helping. I'll keep you posted as the planning continues. I still have to draft the Eastern portion of the ride.

Brent
  18. EdOriginal

Oddometer:
    Wish I was a little further along. I have documented all the known campsites, event, lunch sites, etc that the troopers wrote about in their journals. (thanks to the help of a secretary) and we are now entering all the GPS coordinates of each campsite we can determine, looks like about 1,000 camp/event sites, and 4,011 miles (one way). My new Streets and Trips route are the closes roads to the Missouri River from St Charles, Mo to Astoria, Oregon. Samples of the maps enlarged and reduced below. Good luck with your trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :ricky
  19. DBrentMiller

Oddometer: