Life after death: my first solo trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Candiya, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, thank you for reaching out. I can't imagine losing a loved one to Alzheimer's, as you lost Chris. Thank you for your words of encouragement. It is heartening to hear of the adventure and friendships that you have created through your grieving and healing process.

BTW, When I saw your response, my first thought was, "Wow, Radioman - a celebrity read my report! Your thread has been recommended to me, and I've been saving it as a treat to read when I have time to really get into it. (I have a bad habit of staying up too late to read ride reports so I have to ration them.)
  2. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    D'oh! I have no idea why carrying a generic tub stopper never occurred to me. What a great idea! I don't think I included it in my write-up, but the soaker tub in McCloud also had stopper issues. Thanks for the tip.

And I like your philosophy about plans. In my previous life, I was a plan follower, but I think being a plan deviator is much more fun.
  3. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dryden_rider_54, Wow, it must have taken you a lot of time to assemble all of those quotes. The funny thing is that you included almost all of my favorite parts. Those are the parts that were deeper than the road descriptions. In many cases, it wasn't until I wrote it out that I actually realized what I was feeling. The writing was very helpful and clarifying for me. I'm glad that the report was meaningful for you too.
  4. geolpilot

geolpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I loved your report. You are strong and will soon be stronger. Great writing.
  5. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 too funny.... Celebrity. Anyway. Have some tissues ready as I talk about my life and caring for Chris. But I agree with your take on "gratitude" while grieving. I have gained a great deal reading the great and diverse Ride reports on ADV rider. So glad I have been able to contribute my own Ride reports for others to share in!

As one of my hosts in South Africa (jorg) tells people, it's like reading a good book..... but it has reached 400 pages, so glad winter is upon you in the PNW.

Might see you around the PNW as I have a house with my brothers on Whidbey Island! :ricky
  6. geolpilot

Oddometer:
    Try some highway oriented dual sport tires like Anakee or Torrance. They are fine on pavement and better on dirt.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  7. geolpilot

Oddometer:
    I mean better than road tires on dirt.

8. ChristyRippinFarmer

ChristyRippinFarmer n00b

Oddometer:
    As a fellow lady rider, I love your story and am impressed with the solo journey. I am not sure if I would ever do this, but I am definitely thinking about it! Safe Travels.
  9. geolpilot

Oddometer:
    "fellow" lady rider is a strange concept!

10. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful report. I am inspired. Thank you!
  11. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    The fellowship of Bikers transcends the barrier of sexual identity.:clap
    Ride safe fellow bikers!
    Regards....justjeff
  12. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, Candiya,

You are healing, but don't rush the process. Savor the memories, but do what you are doing, moving on. The past can't be undone, but you control the future and you are doing a heroic job.

I greatly enjoyed you facing your riding demons and vanquishing them. As someone told me, we are all capable of so much more than we know, and I believe that.

Stay strong, ride safe, and no matter how your life changes going forward, these experiences on the bike are the times you continue to share with Mike.

Thanks for allowing all of us to shoulder a small part of your burden. We are happy to help in any small way, though it feels trivial. Even so, if we all absorb even a small fraction of your grief perhaps we can lighten your load a tiny bit.

Thanks for sharing this RR. IT was special.
  13. rwg65

rwg65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, Thanks for sharing your journey. I wish you the best
  14. SirBikeALot

SirBikeALot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for opening up to a bunch of strangers. Please know that we are grateful and appreciate this.
    One thing that struck me, once again, is how women seem to always be conscious of their surroundings and of potential danger. I mean I would probably feel a little apprehensive approaching a bunch of mean looking gangsters at 2 in the morning in a dumpster alley, but most of the time I feel safe, and I find it disturbing that you have to chose your restaurant based on distance and lighting conditions.

Thanks again for your report. Keep us updated, and take us along on future rides.
  15. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    I spent the past few hours reading your ride report, thanks so much for sharing this. Your writing and honesty drew me in like few others have. I wish you the best in the future.

-Chris
  16. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought you guys might get a kick out of this: I turned my ride photos into a holiday card - the first time I've done a photo card.

Since I don't have all of your addresses, consider this your holiday card delivery. :norton

[​IMG]
    Oznay likes this.
  17. Dangeross

Dangeross Space cowboy! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Candiya,
    Thanks for the card.
    Merry Christmas and I hope the new year brings you more exciting adventure!
    Happy Holidays!
    Ross
  18. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Candiya--

Thanks for the holiday cheer.

Here's wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Fulfilling and Adventurous, New Year!

Live Long and Prosper,

--Steve
  19. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a joyous year in 2014.:wings
  20. horseiron1

horseiron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story, it was a great write up.