Life after death: my first solo trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Candiya, Sep 23, 2013.

1. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a good cry.
  2. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many Thanks, Candiya! I found & began reading your post last night, paused for a long dinner with my damn good wife, read until 4:30 a.m., then to the end upon waking. All those commenters are right: It's a stellar, ageless report!

It inspired preparations for a solo ride tomorrow across the Olympic Peninsula along the Straits to Lake Ozette to change of the air in my head, a break from a mental muddle from our spooky times, from self-sequester for weeks, and to celebrate good health still.

'Glad to read you've moved along gaining balance, and thanks for confirming the sanity in a good long ride.
  3. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second thoughts:

While servicing the bike for an all-day ride tomorrow, it occurred to me I'd be riding out where there's scarcely any virus now - also little medical help I've no symptoms, but who knows if I'm free of it, thus I debate the ethics of the ride. I've been riding safely for decades, lately just once a week on errands close to home, always well within long-honed skills, feeling virtuous enough, but I don't want to cause anybody to suffer Candiya's fate when she lost Mike. I'm thinking, I'm thinking... .
  4. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If there is one place I would like to see in this life, it is Bristol Tennessee, and the Smokey Mountains. The scenery, I could only imagine was nothing short of amazing. Not to mention all the smells that come with riding in those beautiful Mountains. I would make sure attend a Night or day race for Bristol Motor Speedway while I was at it. The last true Gladiators coliseum.
  5. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ride out to Neah Bay is one of my favorites! And yes, I've struggled with the same second thoughts about riding lately with the pandemic. I haven't ridden since the lockdown started but likely will soon. It's just good for my mental health.

It was lovely - the vegetation was so different from the hills and mountains in Washington. I was only able to ride for a couple of days but definitely left with a desire to return and explore more of the beautiful area.
  6. Wreckster

Wreckster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just happened upon this a couple days ago. In a way, I'm glad a few years have passed and I can see where you went after some years. Such a great writing style you had, I felt like I was right along with you. Thank you.
    Candiya likes this.
  7. OldFakir

OldFakir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When i was 11 out dirt biking with my family i found my dad face up. He had crashed hard. That was 1974. I will never forget watching his body strapped to a helicopter. Gorman area in SoCal. Mom couldnt keep it together, we lost our house, and in a way my childhood. It happens early sometimes.

Sometimes it also happens often. Ed was pushed off the twisties by a yahoo in a car, a friend of 25 years taken, he flew at least 100 yards, he knew he was done. Elmer i barely got to talk to, hugged him on Day 4 at Dakar bivouac breakfast, couple hours before he left us. Desmond had no business being on the starting line, his heart attack killed him before he hit the ground, or maybe it was the internet that killed him? Either way it was sad and the news choked me up. Plenty of others are brain damaged, wheel chair bound, or just limp.

Then there are the non-motorcycle deaths from things like car crashes, like the one that took mom. Or drug od's like Bob. Or when cancer took Marian, who i loved. We all have our list, and the list keeps growing!

Sorry about your loss. Godspeed Mike. Glad you got to know love.

What i find curious in the RR is the rare ability to bare it, to tell the story, a story so many know so well. I get the cathartic aspect of doing that, but it seems oddly uncommon to do. Very much enjoyed the read and found the vulnerability a challenge. I am more of a compartmentalize and keep riding person.

Lo que todo via bien.
    husqvarna, Candiya and agplant like this.
  8. fletcherguitar

fletcherguitar Marilyn Across America

Oddometer:
    Your ride and your reasons resonate with far too many of us.

I wish you safe roads and wild places.

Jeff
    "Marilyn Across America"
    Candiya likes this.
  9. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    I've read a few RR's, but few have connected like this one did. Maybe it connected even more because Mike was a bubblehead, as was I. I see you guys were in the Bremerton area, so I'm guessing he was a Boomer guy? I was on fast boats (East coast) and am sure I would have really liked him.

I know it's been said again and again, but Thank You Candiya. Your sharing is a gift to us, and we appreciate it, very much. If we ever meet, the first Raspberry Mojito is on me :)
    Candiya likes this.
  10. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled across this report. Thank you for your honesty. A remarkable journey in many ways. All the best to you!
    Candiya likes this.
  11. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike was on the USS Michigan - so a GN? (To be honest, I don't know all the different classes.)

Thanks for the kind words - and a raspberry mojito sounds perfect. :)
  12. Candiya

Candiya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just re-read the report: funny, I'd forgotten the part about the dog. It took a while, but I finally did get a dog two years ago. She was 14 then and is almost 16 today. Nikita is a mix of mainly malamute and husky. She has stolen my heart, and I spoil her shamelessly with lots of walks.
    20200509_175753.jpg
    Sneeze Juice, manshoon, 9w6vx and 3 others like this.