Life Begins at 40?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DeeGee, Aug 12, 2009.

1. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Definately! :cry I was gutted, we waited a while in Slovenia and we stopped to check the phone a few times as we made our way south. Then we had to make a decision whether to head for Zargreb or west towards Italy?

There'll be a next time though my friend :D
  2. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    The great thing about travelling with the tent on the back of the bike and not actually being booked into any hotel is the lack of deadlines and time keeping. I loved the freedom and the fact that when on the road you face obstacles and problems and due to this fact doors get slammed shut, but the flip side is that other doors open; bad times :cry = good times :smile6

We looked at the map and checked the miles to Auchwitz 300+ the same back reluctantly we decided to give it a miss and just head south to meet up with my friend who lives in Bulgaria.

Now back to doors closing and opening :D

When we came out of the Church and returned to the bike as I tuned it around I heard a grinding noise :scratch I looked at the front brake pads and one side was worn right down to the metal [​IMG] Saturday afternoon, I asked a local policeman who happened to be walking by and he told me that there would be no motorcycle shops open at this hour :cry I remembered we had passed a Honda dealers a couple of miles back and decided to head back there to see if it was open and maybe get some help. Anyway as we pulled out of a junction a guy was behind us on an R1, I flagged him down and tried explaining about the brakes.

"Follow me" he says. :deal Well I did and five minutes later we pulled into a bike sales place, I thanked him, shook his hand and with a twist of the throttle he was gone.

To cut a long story short the guy behind the desk had the pads in stock and told me that they would fit them for me. I protested and said I had the tools and I would do it myself. He wasn't having it, in a friendly way I hasten to add and told me he'd only charge me €5 for doing the job. :D Result. He brought us coffee while the mechanic whipped the wheel off. And we had a conversation like this;

You like our country?

Yes, very much.

Where you head for now?

I'm not sure really, probably south, we're hoping to visit Bulgaria.

You not going to MotoGP?

No, we hadn't planned to.

You no like MotoGP?

Yes I do, but we've not really planned to go.

I have a ticket for you for Brno, you want it?

Erm..... How much do you want for it?

Nothing. It is my gift to you for free.

[​IMG] Are you sure?

Yes I go on holiday tonight, I cannot go so you have ticket from me?

Yes please, thankyou [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Brno here we come [​IMG]

Then I here's the V twin thumping away and the mechanic come out riding the KTM laughing. All done sir. We have a quick chat about bikes and roads and speed cameras. We get kitted up and head for Brno.

As we pulled into the camping area at Brno the clutch went :beccaJack told me to call the breakdown people and to get it sorted, but I reasoned with her, that it was late Saturday night, we would be watching the racing on the Sunday, so lets just chill out relax and enjoy ourselves and we'd deal with the bike on Monday when everything would be back open again.
    We cracked the beers open and got into a bottle of vino :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because of the language barrier I thought I'd take these pics and we might be able to show them to a stall at the GP and maybe get some mineral oil or help??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway there were no stalls out selling stuff like that, just beer, cold drinks, food and merchandise. Nevermind, back to the racing :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really really hot!! Jack bought a frekkin Lorenzo brolly to keep the sun off her :loco

[​IMG]

I improvised and soaked my T shirt in cold water and...... Well

[​IMG]

Rossi Fans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JT

[​IMG]

Then back at the tent after a right trek, first we walked the wrong way around the outside of the track, we asked the police who told us we were heading in the right direction, but the gut feeling was we were going the wrong way. We asked another policeman and he told us we were many kilometres away, so we had to go back the other way. Four blisters on each foot, I was in agony :sick

[​IMG]

At about 3 in the morning I heard loads of noise outside the tent and saw shadows round the tent. With my heart thumping I unzipped the tent and had a look to see what was going on. Now look at all this space at the back of the bike.

[​IMG]

All this space and this numb nut decides to park and camp here!

[​IMG]

Anyway I mangaged to sort the clutch out temporarilly and thanks to fellow inmates Shep532 and SleepyHollow99 I punched the address of the KTM Dealers into the satnav and risked it.

20 minutes later and here we are :D

[​IMG]

I showed the guy behind the counter the pictures of the slave cylinder and pointed to the clutch on one of the bikes in the showroom and the light popped on in his head with a grin Aaah yess, I know problem.

Anyway turns out that it wasn't the slave at all it was the small piston and spring inside the clutch reservoir. I wish I'd have got a pic, but sorry I missed the opportunity.

But I did get some pics of this beauty in the showroom. MMMMMmmm :tb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Timtim

Timtim BadGrandad

Oddometer:
    Hi DeeGee,

What a great time you had... was wanting to do somethin similar but events overtook us and now a bit too late unless ship the bike to warmer climes..
    anyway if you ever over this way [East Yorkshire coast]..send me a pm and we could do a few miles on some nice b roads and the odd light tracks if you want.
    Ride safe..:1drink
  4. DeeGee

Oddometer:

Cheers Timtim, thanks for the offer, sounds like a plan :D I was over that way last year with a couple of inmates and did some fire tracks round Dalby Forrest, good fun!
  5. benzine

benzine adv

Oddometer:
    If you have problems with the clutch, you can use vegetableoil to. You know, like sunfloweroil.
    Nice report, keep it coming!
  6. benzine

benzine adv

Oddometer:
    If you have problems with the clutch, you can use vegetableoil to. You know, like sunfloweroil.
    Nice report, keep it coming!
  7. Digger Deep

Digger Deep Keep 'er Lit

Oddometer:
    more !!!
  8. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Once we got the clutch sorted out we headed south and we crossed yet another border, similar to the rest of the borders we had crossed there was no passport control, just a desserted block of offices and a sign stating which country you were in followed by a sign pointing out speed limits on roads and that you should be riding/driving with your headlights on.
    We stopped for a bite to eat and by this time I'd got my Spricken zie inglish? And Danka shun off to a tee, but in this small establishment, no one spoke much English.
    We looked at the menu and we chose what the lady thought we'd like :deal Beef and chips we thought?

[​IMG]

And we got this

[​IMG]
    It was like minced pork kebabs, with roast potatoes and lots of onions. It

was really good and tasty! :nod
    We looked at the maps and picked out a campsite right on the side of a huge lake a town by the name of Podersdorf am See. We checked in and as soon as the tent was pitched we pulled our swimming gear on and went for a dip! It was heaven :rayof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After many many miles of long straight roads with nothing to see but flat lands and the horizon on all sides. I've heard that the African skies are huge, but Bulgaria, Germany and the Czech Republic are vast too and I'm sure would give the skies of Africa a run for their money. The landscape soon changed though once we crossed into Austria. The views were simply stunning, you turn a corner and you are treated to the most spectacular vistas' real picture post card sights, but this was just the tip of the iceberg :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hairpins soon came thick and fast, switchback after switchback, uphill and down hill. Jack comments on the views and invites me to look down, it's like when you come into land on a plane looking down at the villages all the green grass and the lakes shimmering in the sunlight. I managed to steal a quick glimpse, but I had to kep my eyes on the road :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The temperture was soaring and it was a relief to drop down into a few villages, we stopped to grab a bite to eat and take on some water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We crossed another border and we entered Slovenia, again we were treated to the most spectacular views as we crossed more mountain passes, the sun was shining and the skies were a gorgeous blue. We didn't do many miles today and we found a campsite in a small village called Ljubno, a few kilometres north of Ljubljana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack did some washing and made herself a neat little washing line with a spare tent guy line

[​IMG]

We spotted some kids playing on a trampoline as we ate our food, Jack says she's going to have a go on it in the morning. I don't believe her :huh

I was wrong :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After her morning exercise we packed up and hit the road, not before a small water crossing to get back to the main campsite though.

[​IMG]

Some of the views on the road, some don't do it justice, but you can see the real natural beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We both tried a few times to get a shot of us in the many mirrors we passed, but this is about the best :D

[​IMG]

We stopped a few times to check my phone as I had my daughter pm a fellow inmate who I'd got to know through the forum and we had kind of agreed to meet up on the road, Frgich AKA Dubravko who lives in Zargreb. Unfortunately he couldn't get through to me so we headed west towards Italy and Croatia. The temperature was rising the further south we travelled. We passed through Italy, back into Slovenia and then into Croatia which was the only border in which we had to show our passports :eek1

We tried a couple of campsites which were not to our liking, we were going to take a couple of days off and we wanted a decent site, we batted on under the tremendous heat and we finally found on in Umag. Like before we pitched the tent, I downed a litre and a half of water and we went and jumped in the cool sea! :clap

[​IMG]

Now to get this shot put me in a bit of pain :cry

[​IMG]

I was getting bolder with the camera and I had the tripod out a few times, I put the timer on the camera, and my feet were still sore from all the walking at the MotoGP, as I made my way across the rocks hastily I slipped :cry I was rubbing my foot and putting my sandal on as the camera clicked.

[​IMG]

We hung around and chilled and we paddled in the cool sea a bit more and we just waited for the sunset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried doing the star jump trick as an old couple looked on a tad bemused, but hey ho the barriers were coming down and I didn't really care. Four or five goes later and this is the best effort, not brilliant, but not bad.

[​IMG]
  9. John in Leeds

John in Leeds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures and report mate, makes a great read. Looks like you had lots of sun - pity us though, we just got back from Ireland :puke1 rain, rain and more rain.

John
  10. aces anugal

aces anugal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coolness.
  11. Laconic

Laconic .

Oddometer:

Awesome.
  12. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers Evilted. That's good to know, I am going grey at the temples and the kids love to point it out to my annoyance :huh But I just throw it right back and blame them! :D
  13. ksmdigital

ksmdigital Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! :lurk
  14. RogerDe

RogerDe Dust In The Wind

Oddometer:
    Great ride report & photo's ...Ride On...:clap
  15. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Now I kinda feel we both copped out a bit, we didn't head north to visit Auchwitz as we had planned from Czech Republic so we could make tracks to see my friend in Bulgaria. But with the brakes and then the tickets for the MotoGP and the clutch failure put us back a few days and deep down I knew that we would be pushing it to get down to Bulgaria and enjoy ourselves in the process. I imagined travelling on unpaved roads once we passed through Bosnia and Serbia & Montenegro. In the middle of nowhere, being out of my comfort zone, I was looking forward to the adventure, but I was a little sad if I'm honest. On top of that I felt like I was letting my friend Geoff down. I text him to let him know that I didn't think we would make it and I would call him as soon as I had enough battery charge in my phone.

The glass; half full or half empty?

We put the disappointment behind us even though I still had a heavy heart at times, but the glass is always got to be half full! What's more there is always next year. :beer

We were on our holiday and we had just over a week left!

After a lazy day of Snorkelling, a pedlo ride and then a blast on a jetski, the following morning we packed up and hit the road, hindsight is a great thing, and in hindsight we should have gone south maybe onto Dubrovnik, but we went north.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back through Slovenia and into Italy, along the way I got talking to an Austrian guy who mentioned the Dolomites, the Dolomites it was. :ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We passed through many mountain passes one in particular was 15 miles long with hairpin after hairpin and I really had to concentrate although I did have a chuckle to myself a few times at the madness of it all :lol3

The Dolomites were getting closer and closer :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We found a campsite right at the foot of the awsome scenery in the Dolomites National Park, a place called Cortina d' Ampezzo.

We set up camp and this is what we were surrounded by :yum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following day would be my Big Four Oh and I couldn't think of a better place to wake up in :rayof
  16. Louisdut

Louisdut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff mate :bow :bow :bow

Yep It had to be done :thumb Cool

[​IMG]

Louis
  17. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers Louis :D

Looking forward to Riding with you in Wales again :thumb
  18. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's official this day I woke up another year older the Big Four Oh had caught up with me finally. :rilla Did I feel any different? No way, I still feel like a teenager most days :lol3 What a place to wake up in though eh? Dwarfed by the mountain range which was starting to basque in the early morning sun, blue skies and the woman I love! Happy Days!! :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the previous night we nipped into town and while we were there we bought some food for breakfast, nothing fancy just the usual fresh bread, a couple of portions of butter and some eggs for a change.
    There's nothing like boiled egg sarnies to start the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the dry bread? This is the nice butter we bought :wink:

[​IMG]

Turns out that the nice butter was in fact ......... Yeast :becca

[​IMG]

Ah well never mind eh?
    Jack looking to see where we should be going

[​IMG]

We decided to start heading north west, no particular destination, just a steady ride and we'd stop when we'd had enough. As it was my birthday today we were going to treat ourselves to a hotel :cool:
    These are just a few of the pictures as we passed over and through the Dolomites. Once again the vistas were awesome and if there's one place you want to go and visit in Europe it's the Dolomites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continued on as it was quite chilly up on the top of the mountain range, the roads were fantasic once again weaving their way through the mountains. There were literally hundreds of bikers out on all various machines, right across the range from sports bikes to Harleys' to tourers. On one of the roads I found a perfect spot for the official "star jump" picture. It only took Jack about 8 attempts to get it right, but we got there in the end :smile6 :smile6
    Just a couple of the nearlys'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bingo!!

[​IMG]

As we were getting ready to set off, Jack hooked up her intercom lead before getting on the bike. Just as she was doing this I told her I was going to move up a little where the ground was less slippy.............. I nearly took her head off as I dragged her just a few yards :thwak Luckily I she wasn't hurt and luckily I didn't know what I'd done as I would have probably dropped the bike from laughing so hard. We were both in stitches, all the mic and ear phones had been torn out of the helmet too :poser

We headed for Austria, and on the way the blue skies gave way to menacing looking clouds, we stopped just after the border to put our waterproof gear on as it was a case of when and not if we would be riding through it.
    Then it came, my only regret is not getting a picture of the horrendous weather conditions. The lightning started first followed by the crack of thunder, then the heavens opened and unleashed the most terrible rainstorm I've ever witnessed, we pulled off the road to seek some kind of shelter as the visibility was down to 4-5 yards. We found a garden centre where there were many cars who had done the same, but they were under the awning of the establishment, ducked under trying to get out of the rain. Why God only knows, but it made my blood boil :dog Why oh why were these idiots parked under a shelter when they were in their tin cars all nice and dry? And we were huddled under the smallest corner trying to get a bit of shelter and to add insult to injury it started hailstoning, hail stones the size of M & Ms! And it hurt.
    After 10 minutes or so it slowed down and the hailsones stopped, so we made our way out onto the road soaked to the bone. We made our way towards Innsbruck under the grey skies, we passed through a small town where the fire crews were directing traffic, the manhole covers had blown and as we finally passed through many people were bailing out their houses where the rain had obviously flooded them.

[​IMG]

At around 16.30 I'd had enough, we were both wet and it was getting cold, I'd made a couple of wrong turns and I was starting to get a bit stressed out so we spotted a hotel in the village of Telfs west of Innsbruck.

[​IMG]

We had a much welcomed hot bath and we had a few beers before a nice meal in the hotel restaurant. Mixed grill for me.

[​IMG]

Jack had a big bowl of pasta washed down with a large glass of red wine.
    [​IMG]

Getting ready to hit the road.

[​IMG]

The following day the clouds were still looming and you couldn't see the tops of the mountains for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we travelled further north west the clouds began to fade away and it started to get warmer and we welcomed it too :bubba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roads were still fantastic too, Austria like many of the other places we visited along the trip was beautiful too, you don't really think of these countries to be places for holidays other than for skiing, but I will definately return one day.
    Time for a brew and a look at the map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were told along the way by a German couple about a place called Bodensee, a large lake which splits Switzerland and Germany, they sold it to us and thats where we headed for.
  19. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "upgrade to pro today" :cry
  20. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that hiccup! I'll be updating the RR later, thanks for the comments guys :D