Life Begins at 40?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DeeGee, Aug 12, 2009.

1. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recent comments guys :D
    Not sure where we'll be heading this year motolocopat? It won't be very far though as I had my pride and joy nicked I've gotta pay the new ride off asap. But we will be going somewhere.

Great name pinkpillion :thumb

Thanks Matt :)

Great minds think alike Kev eh :wink: Where was the photo taken of the bike?? Great shot.

After all the recent snow we've had in the UK I finally picked up the new steed. Here it is;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've just got to start all over again putting my own personal touches to it.
  2. jeaggerfairy

jeaggerfairy lost in transit

Oddometer:
    I just finished your fantastic ride report, quite the trip for sure. The architecture of all the amazing churches, hotels, opera houses etc was fantasic. Thank's for all the great pics. The generosity of the guy who gave you the GP tickets was awesome! Quite the cool birthday gift i'd say. By the way congrats on turning 40! Sorry about you having your pride and joy stolen. I had my 90 Ducati 750 Sport stolen so i know what you felt like looking at the empty spot where your bike was. I felt like i was stabbed in the guts and then kicked in the nuts for good measure. Hopefully the theiving bastards get theirs in the future. Karma can be a real bitch. I hope a meteor strikes them down while they are bragging about the newly aquired KTM. Congrats on the new ride, verry sweet ride. Looking forward to future posts, all the best!
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    If you ever get bored looking like a redbull advertisment I'll trade you for my "sexy black" body work :D

Great ride report! I hope to get to see some of those sites with my own eyes one day :freaky
  4. GreeKKTiNoS

GreeKKTiNoS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along for your 40th birthday ride!

The wife and I are planning a 3-week ride this year to celebrate my 40th, too!
  6. markxjr

markxjr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report DeeGee,i am hoping to get over to europe sometime soon. Hope to go to some of the places in your pics,it looks fabulous.
  7. forrest_fire1

forrest_fire1 I came, went & discovered

Oddometer:
  8. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    This must be the RR with the most photos of the rider and pillion with their mouths full..

..Probably why I loved the RR so much!! :clap:clap:freaky :lol3

The stolen bike at the end is sort of an anticlimax, but, you seem to have put that behind you, thank you for the time you spent taking us along, made me want to go touring again...
  9. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers For the comments guys :D

Old bike almost put behind me now, I'm involved with trying to buy a fee parts back. I spotted several of the parts for sale on eBay a few weeks ago :mad I'll keep you posted.

I'm on my last nightshift tonight and it's a wet weekend ahead in Wales for the Advrider March Moon Rally :freaky
  10. chasbo

chasbo Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading through your report DeeGee....Awesome! I am very sorry about the theft, but it looks as if the new steed will be a blast to ride!
  11. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Well I said I'd try and keep the report alive if I ever did anything "interesting"

I've just finished servicing the new steed in preparation for my first Rally at the weekend. I'm doing it with a couple of inmates Shep532, Surms and VTwins4me. Day one is a two lap ride of a 70 mile circuit and day two is a three lap ride of a 30 mile circuit, roads, fire roads, forests and lanes, Special stages, timed stages and liason stage. :D

Set off tomorrow as we've got to pitch our tents and ready ourselves for the event.

I'll keep you posted as to how we do :freaky
  12. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you're back on the saddle... :clap:clap
  13. YorkieBoy

YorkieBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that the Ryedale? I'm marshalling so good luck. Carry plenty of water, it's going to be warm and it can get quite dusty in there.
  14. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Yes it was the Rydale!

Well I must say that so far it's probably been the hardest thing I've ever done on the big Katoom. :deal

After being so close to my old 950 which y'all know was stolen I now feel that after a bit of fettling and riding I've now "bonded" with the new ride :thumb

Back to the Rally, the first night my family came over and camped with us before heading off to the coast the following morning while Team Bravo Two Zero put their metal to the test.

It started a couple of years ago when I was talking to a fellow inmate who mentioned this rally. I then mentioned it to a couple more inmates and suggested it be a good idea :loco :D and they agreed, the entry forms were filled in and the reciepts were administered and we were in.

Now I've never ever done anything with this before period and when Shep532 collared me and asked what I'd got us into I drew a blank?? :scratch

First day was two and a half laps of a 70 mile circuit plenty of time checks with liasons and two timed special stages and the second day was three laps of a 30 mile circuit again with two timed special stages :huh

Special stages? Liasons? Scrutineering? Park ferme? Wow this was the real deal a proper rally.

Anyway enough chat, on with the pics :D

Camping

[​IMG]

Grandsons' first ride :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Team Bravo Two Zero + 1

[​IMG]

Park Ferme

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The start

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Action

Shep532 styling it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob giving it the gas

[​IMG]

Re-fuel

[​IMG]

Breather for a few minutes before we're off again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bonding :D

[​IMG]
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    :clap good stuff :clap

Really enjoying your thread DeeGee (especially considering I turn 40 in 8 months :patch )

Have any more pics of your friend's Red Bull graphics (the orange bike?)

I need to get mine done up matching then we'll have one of each color :freaky
  16. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    I finished in the top 10!! Just :clap rob finished 11th and Shep 13th.

I'll try and get somemore pics of the orange Red Bull Geek, it was the same company that did the paint job on mine funnily enough!

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    So...............Not having a lot of spare cash this year due to me paying off the new ride we couldn't afford a long trip abroad this year.

Instead we headed for a tiny village up in the Highlands on the west coast of scotland, a place called Applecross. Fellow inmate Chubbythumper mentioned it to me a while ago and said that the journey there was something special........ He wasn't wrong.

[​IMG]

We set off early Monday morning to avoid the bank holiday traffic and before long we were winding our way along some great roads with great views. We managed to get to our ferry point in Gourock where we would cross over to Dunoon, taking this route would cut out the journey through Glasgow.

[​IMG]

Jack went to sort out the tickets while I waited with the bike.

[​IMG]

She came back with a coffee each as well as the tickets for the boat :D

[​IMG]

The weather was beautiful and we didn't have to wait long in the sunshine before we spotted our boat coming in to dock.

[​IMG]

Once we were on board I spotted a vice on deck and I quickly asked one of the crew if I could use it to loosen one of my mirrors which had siezed and the position just wasn't quite right. The fella gave me the go ahead and I went to work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jack went for a wander upstairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crossing was very smooth as the sea was like a mill pond :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hey DeeGee,
    I'm so glad you got a new ride - and it's a pretty blue one, too!
    I think that's an "S"?
    (we made the same move - 950 to 990S)

Looks like you three are going to be the best of friends :D

Thanks for the update :thumb

kelly
  19. DeeGee

Oddometer:
  20. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    The ferry crossing was only 20 minutes and we were off and straight into the Highlands where the scenery was stunning again. :thumb

We followed a single track road which ran alongside a river which snaked its way along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We'd had enough for that day and we camped at the foot of Glen Coe.

[​IMG]

BBQ for tea :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a few bottles of beer :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A good nights sleep and we packed up and set off for Applecross, but first we called in to a local shop for breakfast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed back to the start of Glen Coe to take some snaps before setting off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way we passed the Commando Memorial just outside Fort William. It is set in this particular place due to the peaceful surroundings and it is also the training ground for the commandos. We stopped off and paid our respect and soaked in the magnificent views and serenity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ben Nevis in the back ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small memorial garden which honours commandos from the second world war to the present day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]