Life Begins at 40?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DeeGee, Aug 12, 2009.

1. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    So on we rode through Glen Etive which was indeed as the above inmate told us was beautiful. The surrounding scenery reminded me of riding through the Alps a few years ago while we were on our honeymoon on the Ducati.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot believe how stunning the scenery was as we were dwarfed beneath mountains which were reflected in the Lochs below, we rode along in the sunshine between gorge after gorge and loch after loch. Stunning :thumb

Next stop was the Eilean Dornie Castle which is on and island where the three sea lochs meet. More info here http://www.eileandonancastle.com/

[​IMG]

We stopped for tea and scones with lots of jam and clotted cream, Jacks' favourite :dg chatted to fellow bikers and sat and soaked up the wonderful views.

[​IMG]

She'll kill me for posting this, but hey ho! :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On we went and we were nearer our destination as we skirted around Loch Carron and then saw the famous Applecross sign :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We soon reached the top after a few hairpins and switchbacks :D
    Once again the views were spectacular :eek1 with Loch Carron at the bottom.

Ladies and Gents I give you Bealach Na Ba

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After taking a load of pictures we headed down the pass on the other side and finally made it to our campsite. We had booked a camping hut, which looked pretty cool on the campsites website and we weren't disappointed, equipped with electricity, lights and a heater all we needed here was our sleeping bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick shower and change and a bite to eat before we went for a walk along the bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We spotted a couple of deer in the long grass.

[​IMG]

The sun was beginning to set across the bay.

[​IMG]

A couple of pints of the black stuff before we ate in the inn :1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While we were waiting for our food we both noticed quite a few people going outside :scratch I followed to see what the fuss was all about. I then realised immediately and went back inside for my camera :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had fresh king bay prawns in garlic and Jack had roast chicken breast, :dg the food was fresh as a daisy and it was fantastic, which we washed down with a few local beers. During the rush to get the above pictures I forgot to get the traditional pictures of the fine fodder! :waysad

We retired back to the campsite and we shared a bottle of good red before hitting the sack :freaky

[​IMG]

The following two days were going to be "eventful" :baldy
    More in a while.
  3. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Nice camping hut! :thumb
    looks like you guys had a great trip.
    Makes me miss Europe...

p.s. you sure don't look like grandparents!!
  4. samuraider

samuraider eurasia-riders

Oddometer:
    Hello next trip please:1drink
    greetings from east
    samuraider
  5. ChubbyThumper

ChubbyThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You jammy bugger, what a sunset!
  6. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    :wave Samuraider in the early stages of planning a trip to Morocco next spring, if only the trips were free :D

Hey T cracking sunset, we were lucky with the weather, and it reminds me I must finish this RR :scratch

I'll get it done in the next couple of days.
  7. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    Nice RR!

Too many pics of the bike.

We want some shots of yer old lady in a wet t-shirt. :lol3
  8. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Easy tiger :huh

Now where was I?

We got up the following day and packed up the bike and the plan was to take the scenic coastal road and do a loop back down to Loch Carron, first off we went the opposite day to look at the picturesque harbour.

We both did a double take as we saw a large deer grazing at the side of the road as we left the campsite. :huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the harbour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set off in the opposite direction and after around 6 miles I had no drive as it felt like the clutch was slipping. I stopped and put the bike in first and let out the clutch while I gave it a little gas.......... Nothing :scratch

We were in the middle of nowhere, but luckily we managed to get a phone signal :thumb

[​IMG]

I pulled the clutch cover and had a look to see if I could see anything amiss. After a call to fellow inmate Shep532 he suggested I mix the clutch plates around to see if it made any difference, but no :dunno

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A guy turns up on an old motorbike and has a look and asked if the large retaining nut should be loose :eek1 It's the large nut which is loctited and torqued to 130 Nm :deal How it had came loose I'll never know. Anyway the guy on the bike had a big adjustable spanner which I managed to get on the nut and tighten it up. The guy then followed me to the nearest garage which was 22 miles away in Loch Carron. When I got there I blagged a large socket, a wrench and some loctite, put the bike in gear and got the guy to sit on it with the rear brake on and tightened it up the best I could. Buttoned it up, returned the tools, thanked the stranger and we were off again :clap :clap :clap

We camped in Tyndrum south of Glen Coe in another wooden hut to try and keep away from the damned midges!

Barbie for dinner

[​IMG]

We set off the following morning only to get 100 yards when I realised we had a flat rear tyre. Jack jumped off the bike and luckily there was a garage a couple of hundred yards up the road, so I rode there and Jack followed on foot.

[​IMG]

I used the side stand method to break the bead as a couple of fellow bikers looked on open mouthed and wide eyed :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
    One guy quipped, so when you gonna do the Dakar? I laughed and replied I wish! :D

[​IMG]

I fitted the tube and pumped it up while Jack busied herself putting the tools back in the kit :thumb

[​IMG]

Off we finally went only to find it flat again after 20 miles or so :huh :huh
    I tried using a couple of C02 cannisters to get me onto the next major town where I was told that there was a motorcylce shop, but it was to no avail as the tyre went down straight away. Lady luck was shining on us though as 30 yards down the road was a tyre fitters, they didn't have any tubes or tyres for the bike but they did have an airline.

I only had my 21" tube left, but it would have to do :deal When I removed the tube I inspected the tyre and saw the cause of the puntures. The rubber on the rim of the tyre had worn and the metal beads had pushed through and also broken off which was punturing the tubes. I cut the bead back the best I could fitted the tube and went onto the next town in search of the motorcycle shop.

We found it and purchased a new rear tube, just in case and then the inevitable happened again :kboom

We were in the middle of nowhere again and I was reluctant to fit the tube with the dodgy tyre, so I sat and waited and weighed up our options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a little thinking and after a lot of ringing round all the tyre suppliers in and around Glasgow all came up with sorry we've no tyres to fit that bike :cry
    Bollox!

[​IMG]

I then had a brainwave, I posted up on the UK KTM Forum as I knew there are a few Scottish lads on the forum and pleaded for help, a part worn rear tyre and a pump. Within 20 minutes I had 5-6 phone calls all offering to help Jack and I out. :clap :clap :clap

Big thanks to all who offered as I know most of the lads are inmates on here too. First up was Righanger who was around 20 miles south of Glasgow. Within an hour he shows up tyre round his midriff and a pump in the tankbag :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20 minutes later we were on the road :clap We took Righanger for a brew as that's all he'd take for his troubles and then we began the long haul home. We eventually got home just after midnight and it'd been an eventfull day to say the least!

It had shown me how good a community we have on the web, when friends and strangers will go the extra mile to help out fellow inmates! We'd had a great time despite the three puntures and the clutch basket nut.

Once again cheers for all the guys who offered a helping hand :D
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's one of the things that makes the motorcycle community so :bow

:clap
  10. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man I hate reading RR like this, I miss riding in Europe. Stelvio Pass was my favorite, but I remember all the passes I hit in Austria, mush to the dismay of the cagers. I learned to ride like a German which means splitting lanes on a two lane road. The bus drivers didn't appreciate me diving down the inside when they made wide turns in the hairpins, but the devil inside yelled just a little to loud. Awesome Ride Reports. Hopefully in 5 years I will be back in Europe. Its all part of my plan, finish my two years as a drill sergeant, three years in Alaska and then back to Europe to finish out my career and retire who knows where.
  11. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Thanks Drunk Uncle, I've just PM'd you to reply on the other thread. I was pleasantly suprised by the roads, the people and the stunning scenery in Austria. I will be back one day, but I'm in the early stages of planning a three week jaunt in Morocco for next year! :ricky
  12. JustPlainDave

JustPlainDave ...just a monkey with features Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great trip you two had. The pics were fantastic. I hope to give Europe a ride before I hang up my helmet for good.

Thanks to you both for sharing.

BTW...nice choice of bike. :thumb
  13. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers for the comments Dave :thumb

So guys!

This years plan was to "do" Morocco, but due to certain circumstances it's not going to happen this year. So we're going to plan another European jaunt, but what do I do? Keep this thread alive and continue putting the ride in here or start a new one? :dunno

Plans are hatching now :deal
  14. stekell

stekell Guest

Great thread -realy great. You are brilliant people.
  15. BadWHooper

BadWHooper Quick, rather than Dead.

Oddometer:
    Talk about having a spare tire around your gut! :lol3 (I hope that joke translates outside of America)

Great, vivid pictures, and let's hear it for good weather in Scotland! :clap I wasn't so lucky on MY ride through that incredible country, but I still loved every minute (RR is below).
  16. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, and yes the tyre round the gut translates, I have a permanent one around mine :D

So, I'm going to keep the thread alive, I thought it'd be rude not to really as I've taken you along with a few of Jacks' and my travels and Adventures'

I've just booked the ferry to Zebrugge for the 14th April. Got to get saving like amd now for the new Adventure, can't wait :clap
  17. Harty

Harty Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer:
    Just spent the last hour reading the RR, great read and pics. I saw your link on the UK KTM forum. Just popped on there as have just picked up a 950 ADV, and am hoping to convince the missus to go out on a tour with me, just like your Jack :thumb
  18. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers Harty, good luck with the missus :thumb the KTM is a great two up touring machine too (as well as everything else it's capable of) let me know if you need any routes :wink:
  19. Biker Stig

Biker Stig There is no wrong turns, just added adventure.

Oddometer:
    Grate RR Gav, Sorry to hear about your last KTM getting nicked
    its the worst thing that can happen to a biker. Looking forward to
    reading about your next trip.:clap

Donal off Twitter
  20. DeeGee

Oddometer:
    Cheers Donal :thumb

Hopefullly hook up when we get over to the Emerald Isle later this year.