Lifelong Alaskans Reacquainted After More Than 30yrs Thanks To ADVRider

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AKDuc, Apr 16, 2007.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, me and advrider n00b jimblack have been reacquainted after living across the street from each other decades ago.

I was/am a lot older than Jim (having a hard time not calling him little Jimmy :D) and don't remember too much other than thinking of him as a little punk kid. In a nice way of course! :lol3 His oldest sister and my youngest sister were best buds back then. I was into Moto-X and dirtbikes at the time and Jim has reminded me of how I'd come over and help him get his little Yamaha 80 runnin.

I ran into Jim about a year or so ago at our local Harley shop when a hulking 6'2" in-shape man stopped me and introduced himself as an 'ol neighbor from the 'hood. :wink: Seems Jim's been into Harleys for awhile. We had a short chat and he went on into the shop and l back to my wonderful wild world of exotic hyper-sport bikes.

Then about a month ago I got a surprise pm on here from jimblack. Turns out "Little" Jimmy was gettin himself a new '07 BMW R1200 GS Adventure and had just joined advrider. Cool. He's even on the D2D list now!

Forward to yesterday, Sunday the 15th. My first ride of the year down to Girdwood about 35mi south of Anchorage. Lots of bikes commin back into town at about 4pm but none down at the corner when I got there. I got myself my hot cup of tea from The Ice Cream Shop and was chatting with my good friend Judy who works there and is herself motorcycle enthusiast.

Eventually a few other riders show up and I go out to visit. Lo and behold one of the is Jim. He said he saw my hair from a distance and knew it was me! :D (www.locksoflove.org is my goal)

Jim and I sat around for about an hour "catching up." While I've been leading the wonderful wild half-breed life here in AK, Jimmy went off to seminary college to follow in his father's "footsteps" as a minister. I asked him if he had any idea he'd be taking this path when he was younger and he said something to the effect of "no way, not even thru High School." But after HS it came to him and after graduating college and ministering in the states he came back to AK about 15yrs ago to be a pastor at his dad's church. His life is also wonder filled by being happily married with 3 young children.

Of course Jim is loving his new GS and thanks in part to a very understanding and loving wife, has really been putting on some miles since he got it. So after all our talking Jim was ready to do some more riding. By now it was getting late in the evening and I was surprised that even after him talking on the phone with home that he was free to ride as far and late as he wanted. Even tho the weather was a little more inclement down Turnagain Arm we headed towards Portage.

And finally here's some shots from our first of hopefully many rides together.

What a contrasting pair, eh?!? The Pastor and the wild Indian. The '07 GSA and the '07 KLR. It's all good. :D
    [​IMG]

Headin down the Seward Hwy about 45mi south of Anchorage.
    [​IMG]

Oh oh, looks like I'm catchin up to and overtaking the might Beemer! Notice the dotted yellow line so I'm all legal and everything. :evil
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, Jimmy's lookin over at me thinkin "what the..." Nah, not really. I told him I'd try to get some action shots of him and his lovely new bike goin down the highway. Hey, do those new GSA's come with reverse hwy pegs, or what? :huh :lol3
    [​IMG]

Nice profile, eh? And if you look off in the distance beyond the still frozen Portage Lake you can see some bright blue of Portage Glacier.
    [​IMG]

And for those of you who just can't get enough of the bike, here's the other side.
    [​IMG]

We had a good and spirited ride back to town where he showed me both his beautiful church and his home. He's a great guy and I look forward to seeing more of him and his family. Friends reunited. Mark H.
    [​IMG]
  2. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Great story Mark.
    I hauled JB's GS home from TMS with the BOXKAR because the roads weren't quite ready. Jim was pretty amped up to get his first ride. I'm glad you two ran into each other. Fite
  3. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Cool RR, Mark! Great pix... Hope to run into you all on the road and meet jimblack... Two months and change until D2D! :clap
  4. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark......cool story!!!:clap:freaky
  5. jimblack

jimblack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sure was great to run into you Mark. Thanks for the story and the great pic's. I will look forward to many more rides together.

Jim

Sorry about not being able to hook up tonight, I forgot about another obligation.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great story... it is a small world!! Thanks for sharing :thumb
  7. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great write-up and photos, Mark. :clap :clap Thanks for reminding us what riding is all about. :nod
    And welcome, Jim I guess it's too late to warn you about what you're getting into. A shame, you seem like a really nice guy - now. :lol3
  8. DirtRiderwjc2000

DirtRiderwjc2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great day for you two, thanks for sharing with us
  9. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Nice report, Mark.:clap
  10. Salt Lick

Salt Lick Weissbiermann

Oddometer:
    This rocks. Neat that you guys would recognize each other after so long and have remained in the same town. :thumb
  11. shazza

shazza n00b

Oddometer:
    well hello there you
    that is a great story ak
    you need to keep as all informed what happens next and where you both go
    shazza :D :clap :freaky :wink:
  12. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    Great story! :clap
  13. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Great story and reminds us of just how small the world is.
    I ran into a guy here on my platform in the gulf of mexico just last year that I use to work with in Nigeria in '92. But the greatest one was a grade school friend that I ran into at a skating rink at Subic Bay , Phillipines. go figure.