Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks for following along and thanks for the tips, Stef loves those type of apps, she has the flight tracking ones and the ship ones. They are pretty cool, we will check out that one.
  2. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Josh - "I'm still so bloody angry I just going off in English"

I first read that as bloody AND angry.Then read more carefully.
    Glad he just made you mad and didn't hurt you guys.
    lifetravelled likes this.
  3. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yeah we were OK and the reason the driving is so bad here is just a complete lack of respect for police, we saw it today, we did a walking tour of the old part of Lima, we were in the main plaza, which is stunning and there are police in full riot gear as there was a planned protest, our tour guide was asked to move along my the riot police, he was like don't worry just robots telling us what to do, he had to be asked three times before he moved.

Then we were out the front of a church and 3 ladies who are scamming tourists (giving "free" souvenirs, then demanding money) are told to move on by a total of about 14 police offers, they just keep yelling at the police and pushing them and start hitting the police, the police do nothing, crazy.
  4. NewmarketSTROM

NewmarketSTROM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You will respect the traffic police on motorcycles when you get to Cusco! Others may know what I mean.
  5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping the locals will respect them also....
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    So we had a day in Lima to sort out our stuff before we flew off for "Vacation" this involved finding storage for the bike, finding a soft bag to take with us and Stef risking her life by getting her hair done in a Peruvian saloon...

Well the first 2 things were easy, stefs hair on the other hand took almost all day and did not go to plan but after lots of back and forth the final product was ok.

We stored the bike and the Hitchhikers Backpackers Hostel, a popular overland spot in Miraflores, the nicest part of the Lima, we stayed here before our flights and after our flights. They charged 5 soles a day for the moto but never actually asked for the money. The place is ok to stay but I'm sure there are better options around.

We flew Copa Airlines to San Juan Puerto Rico Via Panama City, decent airline even half decent food served on both legs of the flight.

We would be spending the next 2 weeks cruising the Carribean, for the longtime readers you would probably already know that this is one of our favourite ways of travelling and the complete opposite of riding a Moto. We scored a great deal on a cruise, the flights not so much and it meant Stef could visit the ABC islands which was on the bucket list for this trip in particular Aruba.

We were both looking forward to the break and the not having to think about anything, oh and the bed the most comfortable bed ever and we only had to unpack once. More to come....

Found myself a nice smoker while waiting for stefs haircut

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Moosietoo, Stubanger, BLucare and 4 others like this.
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The panel here will have to vote on the hair cut. Let's see it Stef. :D bawk bawk bawk (chicken)
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I will share some photos from our little vacation time, we arrived in San Juan at close to midnight, unsure of the impact of the gov shutdown we were surprised to see all desks open and plenty of Border staff around being very helpful and in good spirits.

We didn't realise but a big festival on in San Juan and 4 cruises leaving the next day made accomodation super expensive, we ended up booking a shared dorm for the first time for a t total cost of $60, for us a crazy amount, we had an average sleep with 2 middle aged Asian men having a snoring competition.

We got on the ship and just relaxed, turned out we would relax for another day as the ship was having engine issues and could not leave until the next day.

IMG_1391.JPG IMG_1232.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_1134.JPG
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Some other photos, first photo is of wild flamingos in Bonaire, we were able to watch these guys from the roadside for ages just the 2 of us, next is of me carving it up in a windsurfing cart thing. It was good fun.

IMG_1453.JPG IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1807.JPG
    Moosietoo, BC Biker, Dukehunt and 6 others like this.
  10. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Hair cut looks good. The panel has convened.
  11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    And I leave I with these ones and get back to the moto reporting....

IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1829.JPG IMG_2166.JPG IMG_1361.JPG
    Moosietoo, BC Biker, Dukehunt and 8 others like this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    Om my.
  13. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    I think the problem with the hair not going to plan might be that Stef got it cut in a saloon, and not a salon. Quite the difference, mate. :photog

That said, it looks great :thumb
  14. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Well it seemed like a good idea at the time...
  15. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    All ideas seem good in a saloon!
  16. RedDogAlberta

Oddometer:
    I'm now convinced there's a cargo van in tow. I've never seen the same bathing suit twice. At least which I recall.
  17. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    I wish the weather was that good here. Enjoy....safe travels!
  18. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    So do we the last 2 days have been the coldest days of our trip....
  19. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We arrived back into Lima late after a long day, taxied back to Miraflores and checked the bike was still there and went straight to bed.

Next day we woke up, organised our stuff did laundry and washed the bike, somehow the day disappeared but I think we were both still recovery from the long previous day.

Our dinner, beef hearts, these were excellent we both really enjoyed them.

image.jpeg
    Back in South America and back to the soup, we both missed the South America lunches. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  20. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We booked ourselves in for a free walking tour of Lima, we took the rapid bus from Miraflores up to the old town, these are great.

Our tour guide was good but it was just way too much information for us and we got bored but we stuck in out to the end.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Moosietoo, Geezerguy and chilejack like this.