Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Argentina

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And then there was soup and snacks - this is a Peruvian Churro, they were hot and fresh unlike most churros we see for sale and filled with a custard. We don't eat to much sweets anymore but we went back for another one.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Our favorite place we visited in Lima was the church and Covent of San Francisco, you had to do a tour to see the Catacombs but it was excellent at $5 each and the guide was very good.

Moosietoo, flei, Geezerguy and 7 others like this.
  3. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    It was time to leave Lima which we both pretty happy about we headed south to Ica and the oasis town of Huacachina, the ride was not that exciting lots of dessert but easy ride, we stopped for gas and a drink and found this place looked like it had just open, it was like a little food truck park.

image.jpeg

We stayed about 2km out of the oasis town as it was the weekend and had heard it was a party town, the hotel came reccomended on ioverlander and had a pool. We checked in, room seemed good until I went to look out the window and realised the glass panel had been smashed and was missing completely, went down stairs to reception she was like oh yeah here's another room... Both room had no towels, we asked 4 times before we finally got them, all we wanted to do was shower after a hot dessert ride... Peru service is by far the worst we have ever had and it was not a cheap hotel.

We finally showered and walked up to the town to have some lunch and find a buggy tour...

4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We found a place to do a buggy tour I think the are all the same really there is about a 100 buggies, it cost about $8 each for a 1 hour tour including sand boarding. We jumped straight and were in the front which was a scary, pretend seat belts and a home made buggy, we could see the drivers face expressions when things not going right.

5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    The sand boarding was was fun but only us 2 and one other buy did it out of 10 people.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Moosietoo, BC Biker, NSFW and 7 others like this.
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    It's minus 36c here but soaring to minus 28c later. I see soup in my near future. Soup is good.
    Richarde1605 and powderzone like this.
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Next stop was Nazca lines, we packed and attempted to have breakfast in our hotel, that took some negotiating but finally we ate and hit the road with a longish day planned, we headed for the Nazca lines observation tower, we had read about the flights in small aircraft but after a few interesting stories and our near death experience in the sand dunes we decided to not go up in the air.

The lines were interesting but it was a quick stop and it was finally time to head inland....

Firstly photos from the ride to Nazca

Moosietoo, chilejack, Saso and 3 others like this.
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    The lines, we managed to arrive and view just but a full tour bus arrived, the tower can only hold about 10 people at a time.

Moosietoo, chilejack, NSFW and 5 others like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You really should fly the lines to see them
  11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We headed upward from Nazca and arrived into Puquio after about 3 hours, where we thought we would spend the night, it was 2pm we had lunch and to push on another 3 hours to the next real town.

Puquio lies at around 3200m, with in 20 mins of leaving we were above 4000m, it rose as high as 4300m and we stayed above 4000m for over an hour. It was cold to say the least especially after being in the hot dessert only hours ago.

The photos stop not long after Puquio as it was too bloody cold, today would be the hardest day for Stef of the trip.,

Then it started to rain and then rain really hard, we climbed back down to a sensible 3200m and followed the river along, our next issue was falling rocks and water crossings, we had a few water crossing and rocks all over the road, we pushed on, we noticed there had been no traffic for a while and not long after that we saw a line of trucks and buses.

We could see why before we even saw the line, there was a huge muddy waterfall coming over a cliff on to the road, it was like nothing we had ever seen, we rode to the front of the line and saw about 30 guys trying to clear the road as the rocks fell, some were just looking up calling out when larger rocks were coming so that the guys clearing the rocks could run.

We spoke to a guy holding a pick hammer, we said we should be OK to cross, I thought nope shouldn't cross, still rocks the size of Basketballs falling and on the road, but it was raining and Stef was freezing. We had to options wait it out and put Stef in a truck or bus to get warm and me to help, not knowing how many hours it could take as rocks were falling as fast as they were being cleared of just try and get through it.

Try and get through it, we walked across the 15m of rocks trying to pick a path as far as possible from were they were falling, the guys try to just clear a path for us, I jumped on a road across slowly but as fast as possible, I could hear the rocks landing near me, got stuck at one point and Stef quickly ran up pushed what was in stopping me, we got through and rode on to our hotel and a hot shower, no dinner just straight into bed and asleep by 6pm for Stef, I was not to far behind...

12. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    As we took no photos due to it being so cold this is kind of what we felt it was like, less rocks than this but more water... Wish we got photos but sometimes it's the last thing on your mind.

image.jpeg
    Moosietoo and chilejack like this.
  13. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    The next morning we didn't want to get out of bed, everytime both of woke up we could hear rain and we could still hear it, I eventually look out the window, sunshine. The noise was the river we didn't realise how close we were to the river and we could here it all night. With that we got up headed downstairs to pay and sus out breakfast, the night before we felt the hotel was taking advantage of the weather and us on a motorcycle pushing the price higher than we had read on ioverlander, we negotiated down with no breakfast, when I went downstairs to pay in the morning a different lady charged me less and said it included breakfast, so off we went breakfast. We loaded the bike and another lady came out wants to charge us extra, even more than the night before price WTF, suffice to say I politely told her Our thoughts, got on the bike and rode off.

The rain had clearly taken its toll on the road, we arrived pretty quickly to the below landslide. We waited while they loaded 5 trucks, I had a nice chat with 2 bus drivers, they got photos with the bike and us and the. It was time to take the path around the landslide that they had made.

In total we had 6 water crossings today.

14. cycleman2

cycleman2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your ride report. It's always interesting to read other follks rides and their views on the way things are. No two are ever the same. Ride safe.
    lifetravelled likes this.
  15. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along.
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We had a 300km day today, 200 less than the previous day so we were looking forward less saddle time, in total it was 6 hours due to 25 mins and the above landslide and couple of rest stops and lunch.

We had cuy for lunch or guinea pig, it was actually pretty good we both enjoyed it at our little stop on the side of the road, it was a basic outdoor kitchen but a quite a few locals around, the old man who owns the joint came over once we had finished lunch and wanted to show us around, we walked down a nice little path some more tables of families, into a big area where families playing volleyball and picnic type environment then down to the river, I think there was about 50 people here all enjoying Sunday lunch with family in the sun, it was nice to see.
  17. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    Now that’s some serious adventure riding and at altitude. Stay warm and dry, if you can.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow.....that's big turn of events.

i thought it will be all about the sunny sky and deserted white beaches.

you guys take care. stef. hang in there....give your man the support he needs.
  19. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not an adventure till the rocks start falling and the cuy is served!!

Good stuff Josh.

When I look at your pictures of the town surrounded by the sand dunes I wonder how it's not just swallowed up by sand. Was there retaining walls or some way they were keeping the sand out of the town?
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Minus 38c here this morning. I had some soup yesterday and actually thought of you two. The soup was great but motorcycling seems so very far away.