Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Colombia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Granada is a very touristy town which meant that it felt a weirdly quiet, lots of places still closed, but then it felt like hotels were trying to make as much money as possible when they saw us, 70 us for a basic room per night was what some places were charging. We heard from our amigos and they had found a good place so we stayed there.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    NSFW, Moosietoo, Geezerguy and 2 others like this.
  2. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    From Granada we had a nice 2 hrs ride to San Jaun Del Sur, which is our last stop in Nicaragua. We spent last night here and will spend tonight here before crossing into Costa Rica tomorrow.

It's the first hotel we have stayed in with other guests and there is actually tourists out in the restaurants and bars.

NSFW, Moosietoo, battdoc and 10 others like this.
  3. danh600

danh600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you don't mind a gear question in your RR. I see you use the pacsafe bag protector. How do you like it? Do find it pretty convenient to use?
    lifetravelled likes this.
  4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Not at all, ask anything, I wish I asked more before we left.

Yes I managed to pick one up on eBay before we left, they are pretty expensive, ours is the large backpack version, it's great piece of mind, with our smaller dry bag it reaches right around our pelican top case so it would be difficult to remove without cutting.

We put it on everyday it's super easy and just part of our packing routine, I think it's annoying to pack away and not use so it just goes on.

Also it works well to padlock the cord onto our pelican case exisiting padlocks (note we also use these to padlocks to lock our helmets to the bike on the pelican case.

We would use again for sure.
    danh600 and 95Monster like this.
  5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We spent 2 nights in San Juan Del Sur, it was a nice place with lots bars and cafes, I'm not sure we would of enjoyed it and full capacity seems like a big party town but it was nice at the slower place, it was still by far the busiest place we stayed in Nica as far tourists go.

We climbed up to statue which had a great view. We met a Russian couple driving their land cruiser troopy from eastern Russia across Europe, boat to Ushuaia then up to Alaska, he rides a KTM at home nice people with lots of tips for us.

ShimrMoon, NSFW, roadcapDen and 9 others like this.
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we left San Juan Del Sur and headed for Costa Rica, not hearing great reports about this crossing. It took us about 35 mins to get to the crossing, the first line of trucks started 6km out, I was thinking wtf, but there was 2 lines but it was still the most trucks we have seen at a border.

We rode past all the trucks and saw the helpers running for us, I spotted the Offical through the blue Gare and headed for him, we stop and a quick no and the helpers leave (maybe my F off face is getting good).

They check passports and import permits and wave us through.

We come to a big area of trucks busses and food stalls. There is an unmarked building on the right, this is customs and immigration, you are not allowed to park on the near side, so you must ride around to the far side and park.

But you must enter the building back on the side were it says exiting, 1 dollar to the lady on the right (she gave me change when I payed in cordorbas) then down to one of the immigration officers, there were 6 working and no one there. $2 each to them and they stamp you out after asking a few questions super friendly lady and helpful (except she forgot to stamp stefs passport and we didn't check).

Now the confusion starts and if I hadn't of read RR here I would of been completely lost but it was actually ok.
    Thanks to @95Monster i had some idea where to head.

So...

Wonder the carpark looking for the The right Aduana person, i asked 5 before it was the right one, she was in a shop at the back of the carpark talking to a policeman.

She seems disinterested but hand me 2 forms to fill out and wonders over to the bike. We get them done and she searchs half the bike, she just kept asking if we had a drone.

Then I need the police officer she was talking too, I find him having his shoes polished but chatting to a policewoman she finishes there chat than comes over and Stamps the forms and I off the another office hidden in the back corner of the building, big room with X-ray machines, see the desk in the corner, tvip canceled and the guys is super friendly and helpful.

It is the most confusing exit we have done but it was ok 3 bikes 4 people out in about 40 minutes.

Sorry no photos
  7. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We headed for the Costa Rica side, upon checkpoint at the border we got told stefs passport not stamped so back we went but it only took a few mins to sort out.

We arrive in Costa Rica, park up in the carpark to the far left, 3 buses had beat us immigration, so 30 min wait there for Stef and I, then to the little Aduana office next door she hands us some paper work we get some photocopies fill out the paperwork then she comes and checks the bike.

Then up to the next Aduana office 200m up the road park, go inside get insurance ours was 21 dollars, then to the Aduana guy who processes at a casual Friday pace.

That's it we were done, still over 2 hours for 4 people 3 bikes.
    Moosietoo and fasttortoise like this.
  8. battdoc

battdoc Old Enough

Oddometer:
    Other than the borders crossings one both ends, Nicaragua is a fantastic place to visit. Your crossing was very efficient compared to mine, I was by myself and took me an hours to sort through all the mess. Have fun in CR.

Cheers
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was a great place to visit and the lack of tourists makes some stuff wonderful, we climbed the volcano no one on it, but we found Granada to feel a little off because of the lack of tourists, tho once we walked back a few blocks there was a super busy market area and it felt good again.

We never felt unsafe at all.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  10. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We rode to La Fortuna, our total ride time for today excluding the border was 4 hours, I think it's the longest time in the saddle since Mexico. So different in Central America riding 1 -2 hours a day.

We followed the road around Lake Arenal a nice ride, sorry no photos.

We checked into our accomodation - a motel type place, $20 a night which we were pretty happy with and its right near the main square.

We spent the next day doing tourist type things, we walked the hanging bridges trail, $27 us each no guidewe are not in Nicaragua anymore, things are expensive.

11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  12. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    In the afternoon we headed to the waterfalls for a swim, 15 each to get in but it was super nice.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Me trying to fight the current, it was powerful and I could only swim so close before I was just swimming in one spot.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
  13. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    Read all in one breath! Great adventure! Well done guys... :-)
  14. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Nice thanks for reading. I ride a Pegaso at home.

Where you from, stef has family near Venice we visited while on a break from riding.
  15. Moosietoo

Moosietoo MooseMan

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the Rain Forest tour in Cairns.
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    That's funny because as Stef and I were walking through she started talking about how we have never visited the Daintrees (rain forest near cairns). Well we will get there one day.

Thanks for following along Moosietoo
  17. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    From
    La Fortuna we headed for Manuel Antonio, the ride here was amesome, up through the clouds over the mountains till we hit the coast then south along the coast.

We found a nice place to stay at the front of the park only a few mins from the beach, 55 a night, but tv aircon hot water and a nice pool.

We planned on hitting the national park today but it's closed on Monday which explains why it's so quie compared to yesterday, we headed to the beach and now have come back to the pool.

Lots of monkeys, one sloth high in the trees and an iguana who likes to hang out at the pool.

IMG_5863.JPG IMG_5908.JPG IMG_5859.JPG IMG_5860.JPG
  18. andydj31

andydj31 In Techno we trust...

Oddometer:
    A little town of 10000 people called Concordia Sagittaria, an hour at east of Venice.
  19. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  20. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Oh nice, it's a wonderful part of the world. Stef has family in Treviso, I really liked it there.