Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Colombia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had to move hotel on the island as where we were staying was booked out for the weekend, we ended up finding a place a few doors down on the water at a reasonable price, it was completely empty. It's a nice spot tho.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yesterday we hired an ATV and went to the north of the island to Starfish Beach, hope to 100s of starfish, that is until the tourists started picking them up for photo ops, there was still a decent amount we saw 5. The beach was ok but a bit to built up and no real sand area for us so we got back on the ATV and headed to Bluff beach, a really nice 7 mile beach very quite but big waves and rips so not able to hang out in the beach, I hand fun swimming in the ages but far from relaxing, got dunked pretty badly by one almos came out without shorts.

Photos from Starfish beach.

ShimrMoon, Animo, 95Monster and 8 others like this.
  3. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Stef did a lot of the driving, it only ended up like this once, lucking I had my bicycle helmet on.
  4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Bluff beach....

Animo, Stubanger, Moosietoo and 5 others like this.
  5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Today we caught a water taxi across the island next to us, Carenero Island, $1 each and 10 min walk to the beach. We spent the day before heading back and spending the last couple hours on the deck at the hotel. Tomorrow we leave and head towards Panama City, we will need to stop somewhere along the way but not sure where yet.

IMG_6750.JPG IMG_6761.JPG IMG_6752.JPG
  6. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yesterday went up early and found the only place open for breakfast before 7. Packed and got the ferry back to the mainland to find our bike all ok in the parking lot, repackaged the bike and headed for Panama City as far we could, the ride back over the mountain was dry and was much more enjoyable then the way in a few days ago.

There is a checkpoint at the top and today they had Aduana working there so check of our papers.

We got back on the Pan American and pointed south, another check point and another check of our papers, not once in any other country now twice in 2 hours. We stopped for lunch in Santiago and met Frode and Annette from Norway riding south and will be on the stahlratte with us.

Rode as far as San Carlos and found a place to stay, $40 for a hostel private room with shared bath and outdoor shower....

We had a nice night of laughs, rum and red wine with Frode and Annette.

Sorry no photos.

Today we will hit the beach and then Panama City.

Josh and Stef
  7. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Panama City safely after a short ride from San Carlos, had a nice slow start today and went for a swim before jumping on the bike, Panama traffic was interesting, we have not been in a capital city since Mexico, but we just moved with the traffic and I was aggressive where I need to be. We looked at hostels and cheap hotels but nicer hotels where only a few dollars more so here is to 4 nights of somewhat luxury, I am writing this from the rooftop bar area of our hotel.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    We had a typical lunch super tasty. image.jpeg image.jpeg
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Some night shots,

Animo, holckster, BC Biker and 6 others like this.
  9. BLucare

BLucare ADV General Counsel

Oddometer:
    Those views are astonishing :clap especially the view from the pool! Very nice, guys :thumb
    lifetravelled likes this.
  10. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, yep Panama City is something else in Central America.
    BLucare likes this.
  11. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Today we headed to Casco Viejo, the trendy old town, we caught the metro, which is super nice and new and they only have one line so far but building another currently. Trains come every minute, we caught it 3 times today and each time we came down the stairs the train was arriving. All stations super clean, each ride costs 35 cents. Highly recommend using it.

The old town was cool, lots of money has been spent here restoring the buildings, there are still some derelict buildings which provide a nice contrast but I'm not sure how long they will last before being rebuilt.
    We had a coffee and a cake, we liked it.

It would be a nice place to stay but it's expensive.

Visited the seafood market which was really just a lot of seafood restaurants trying to get you to eat.

We caught the train one more stop to the Albrook mall, the largest mall in the Americas, being December it was super busy in some sections but other areas had nobody.

Moosietoo, Animo, BC Biker and 4 others like this.
  12. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love this shot!! Great photography guys!! Looks like you're having a blast! I don't comment much but enjoy the photos you're posting as you go! Stay safe and have a great time!!!

Manoj
    PS. What camera are you using?
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Continued goodness!
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow, you guys don't mess around. nice weather too....haha, people are getting cabin fever as we speak.

seeing nice pics and a beautiful woman are enough to make me come back for more...:D
  15. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks Manoj, Stef takes most of the photos, I only take the ones that Stef are in.

Appreciate all the likes you send our way and I know you have been following along for long time appreciate it.

Stefs iPhone is the only camera, 3 years old and still going ok.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  16. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing!! Do let her know that she's doing a phenomenal job with the photos, as are you! Would love to be able to do what y'all are doing, someday. Until then, I'll live vicariously through the photos that you and others have posted
    lifetravelled and Railrocker like this.
  17. lifetravelled

Oddometer:

Thanks Joel happy to have you following along. Yeah we have been super lucky with the rain in Central America, if we were a month earlier like we planned I think we would of be wet every other day.

Even here in Panama it's only a short burst each day.
  18. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Will do.

I know we are super lucky to being doing this, the hardest part was actually committing to it in the first place, everything from there has been easy. Just got to go and do it.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  19. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Some other photos from yesterday.

20. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Today we visited the the Miraflores lock visitors center, which was a cool experience we watched some sailboats go through with a container ship.

Cool way to spend a few hours.