Lifetravelled- Aussie couple hitting the road to Argentina -in Peru

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by lifetravelled, May 17, 2018.

1. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Todd,

How was Santa Marta?

We had a great time, we sadly left Colombia yesterday...
  2. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    With a slower than usual start... One of us having a headache from the night before it was time to depart the wonderful steel horse, we headed for the cocora valley to see the wax palms, tallest palms in the world, we arrived and first stop was food we did a short walk and head off, bike pointed for Cali.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  3. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
  4. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Cali at around 5pm and checked into our hotel in a nice residental area, let us park in the single garage with the the laundry ect.

Stef still nursing a hangover and with not much open I went on the hunt for food, Dominoes was open and crazy busy, I think they had 20 staff working, huge eat in area, I went to order our pizza, the Colombian, who knew it would be the hardest ordering experience of our time in Colombia, so many questions of which I understood very little, but the girl was super helpful pointing at things for me, don't sell water only pop, so went looking for some water came back to find a worker on the street, he comes up to me Josh?, looks like my pizza was ready went inside and the girl who serves me stops serving and runs and gets my pizza, super friendly experience. We are pizza in bed watching TV.
  5. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We spent the next morning walking around Cali, it has more calm feel to it, but that could be the time of year.

Moosietoo, jwmitch, NSFW and 10 others like this.
  6. Slick13

Slick13 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    G'day Josh, from your photos and words, it looks like Colombia is pretty high on your list for the best countries visited thus far....seems like it has the right mix of culture and scenery, good people, excellent food, great roads, civility and respect whilst still being wild enough to make for a solid adventure.

Would you say that it has been your favourite to this point?
    lifetravelled likes this.
  7. Todd34

Todd34 Toubab

Oddometer:
    Hey! It was a nice break. We got back yesterday. Mompox was definitely worth seeing. Sorry to see you guys go but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your travels!
  8. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    It's up there that's for sure, from a motorcycling point of you it's hard to beat but we also loved Mexico.
  9. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We decided to head to the Cali Zoo, our first of the trip, it was quite a good set up, we spent a few hours here, they had a lots of South American animals, Flamingos which stef was super excited to see. Lots of Monkeys ect.

And Australia world...

IMG_9477.JPG IMG_9464.JPG IMG_9452.JPG IMG_9453.JPG
    Moosietoo, BLucare, Stubanger and 4 others like this.
  10. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    IMG_9502.JPG IMG_9505.JPG IMG_9503.JPG IMG_9495.JPG
    Moosietoo, NSFW, BLucare and 4 others like this.
  11. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    You're going to love Ecuador.
  12. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think your right, we are really enjoying it,
  13. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    The main attraction in Cali is the Salsa clubs, so we headed to the busiest one on a Wednesday, it wasn't that busy but it was fun to watch, lots of locals just grab random people and dance, few strange men in there....

14. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    We had a long ride, about 8 hours to Pasto from Cali, the roads were great and the views even better, a long day but we enjoyed it, very little straight roads in Colombia.

Another day another meal of the day and that means another soup for Stef...

15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice update josh!
  16. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks NSFW, I'm a few days behind, trying to catch up with the spotty Internet.
    yokesman likes this.
  17. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Pasto is famous for its black and white festival which is on currently, however when we arrived it was 530, by the time we showered and changed it was 6 and the festivities were done, it was hard to find info online about it but we found out it runs from 2 to 5 each day, so we missed it, we wandered around town but nothing special.

We hit the road the next morning to that famous Church - santuario de las lajas, it was as cool as we thought it would be and it was a special moment for both us, it was something we had visualised visiting when we thought about this trip but never thought we would actually do. The wonders of travelling by motorcycle means things like this are easy, this would be our last stop of our month in Colombia and was a perfect way to finish our time, a wonderful country to visit.

Attached Files:

18. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip Doug.
  20. lifetravelled

Oddometer:
    So we left the church and headed for the border, we knew it would be busy as it is the main border, we arrived and first stop was to check ourselves out of Colombia, there was 2 lines outside the building and then several more inside, all in all we were in line for around 20 mins.

Next step to check the bike out, we go out the side door and into the next building, checking the bike out takes all of about 15 seconds.

Ok, so back on the bike and cross into Ecuador. We park with the other motos, all Colombian riders. We go across to immigration, 2 lines, one for Venezuelan refugees and one for tourists, this line took around 20 mins.

Now to check the bike into Ecuador, so we line up in what looks like one of the lines, waiting patiently, then a Colombian girl tells us to hand our registration paperwork over, not sure, she took it and pushed in and handed it through the window, turns out the "line" is everyone's paperwork in a stack and they call one at a time, 2 hours later we were done. I asked the officer if this is busy, no this is normal.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg